Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 03:41
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 04:07
This post received
KUDOS
One more for today ...

Quote:
It is highly likely that Claudette is a classical pianist. Like most classical pianists, Claudette recognizes many of Clara Schumann's works. The vast majority of people who are not classical pianists do not. In fact, many people who are not classical pianists have not even heard of Clara Schumann.

The reasoning in the argument above is flawed in that it

A) ignores the possibility that Claudette is more familiar with the works of other composers of music for piano.

B) presumes, without providing justification, that people who have not heard of Clara Schumann do not recognize her works.

C) presumes, without providing justification, that classical pianists cannot also play other musical instruments.

D) relies for its plausibility on the vagueness of the term "classical."

E) ignores the possibility that the majority of people who recognize many of Clara Schumann's works are not classical pianists.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 04:23
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 45

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 05:31
will go with B just with POE
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 167 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 05:37
This post received
KUDOS
Franklin wrote:
Quote:
The economy is doing badly. First, the real estate slump has been with us for some time. Second, car sales are at their lowest in years. Of course, had either one or the other phenomenon failed to occur, this would be consistent with the economy as a whole being healthy. But, their occurrence together makes it quite probable that my conclusion is correct.

Which one of the following inferences is most strongly supported by the information above?

A) If car sales are at their lowest in years, then it is likely that the economy is doing badly.
B) If the economy is doing badly, then either the real estate market or the car sales market is not healthy.
C) If the real estate market is healthy, then it is likely that the economy as a whole is healthy.
D) If the economy is in a healthy state, then it is unlikely that the real estate and car sales markets are both in a slump.
E) The bad condition of the economy implies that both the real estate and the car sales markets are doing badly.

Most difficult CR question I've seen in a long time. C, D and E could all be the answers.

Statement says:

-> Information accepted as correct by the speaker:
1. Healthy Real Estate => Healthy Economy
2. Healthy Car Sales => Healthy Economy
3. Healthy Real Estate & Healthy Car Sales => Healthy Economy
-> Present conditions: Unhealthy Real Estate + Unhealthy Car Sales
-> Assumption: Healthy Economy + Unhealthy Economy = 1
-> Conclusion: The economy is doing badly

Lets analyze answer choices C, D and E.

E) The bad condition of the economy implies that both the real estate and the car sales markets are doing badly.
-> Unhealthy Economy => Unhealthy Real Estate & Unhealthy Car Sales.
-> The speaker doesn't know that the economy is doing badly, but rather concludes that it is doing badly based on Unhealthy Real Estate & Unhealthy Car Sales. Incorrect.

D) If the economy is in a healthy state, then it is unlikely that the real estate and car sales markets are both in a slump.
-> If Healthy Economy => Healthy Real Estate AND/OR Healthy Car Sales

C) If the real estate market is healthy, then it is likely that the economy as a whole is healthy.
-> If Healthy Real Estate => Healthy Economy

D and C are both correct.

I go for D as I interpret D to be an inference while I interpret C to be a rephrasing of the question stem.

OA?

Please kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 45

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 05:40
The economy is doing badly. First, the real estate slump has been with us for some time. Second, car sales are at their lowest in years. Of course, had either one or the other phenomenon failed to occur, this would be consistent with the economy as a whole being healthy. But, their occurrence together makes it quite probable that my conclusion is correct.

Which one of the following inferences is most strongly supported by the information above?

A) If car sales are at their lowest in years, then it is likely that the economy is doing badly.

B) If the economy is doing badly, then either the real estate market or the car sales market is not healthy.

will go with D for this Q plz post the OA also
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 05:58
Franklin wrote:
Quote:
It is highly likely that Claudette is a classical pianist. Like most classical pianists, Claudette recognizes many of Clara Schumann's works. The vast majority of people who are not classical pianists do not. In fact, many people who are not classical pianists have not even heard of Clara Schumann.

A) ignores the possibility that Claudette is more familiar with the works of other composers of music for piano.
[b]PK: OUT OF SCOPE

B) presumes, without providing justification, that people who have not heard of Clara Schumann do not recognize her works.
"PK: HOW COULD PERSON X RECOGNIZE THE WORK OF SOMEONE OF WHOSE EXISTENCE PERSON X IS NOT EVEN AWARE OF? ANSWER: COULD NOT, ITS IMPOSSIBLE. THEREFORE SAYING "that people who have not heard of Clara Schumann do not recognize her works" IS JUST LOGICAL; IT IS A WEIGHTLESS STATEMENT, AND ITS PRESUMPTION IS NOT ONLY NOT INCORRECT BUT ALSO NOT RELATED TO THE ARGUMENT."

C) presumes, without providing justification, that classical pianists cannot also play other musical instruments.
PK: OUT OF SCOPE

PK: TERM CLASSICAL IS NOT NECESSARILY VAGUE

E) ignores the possibility that the majority of people who recognize many of Clara Schumann's works are not classical pianists.
PK: THIS IS THE BEST ANSWER. ITS STATISTICAL PLAUSIBILITY CANT BE DENIED. STILL, I DONT WHY IGNORING THAT POSSIBILITY MAKES THE ARGUMENT FLAWED

[/b]

Sorry for the caps. Wanted to use colors to highlight my comments, but did not see the option on the side till after finishing writing. I say E. OA?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 08:01
Spoilt wrote:
B for me.

POE : B is the only clear choice.

Is this for the classical pianist question? If so, B is not the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 12:27
Franklin wrote:
The Law School Admission Council created this question back in 2003-4 ... I thought the question to be quite prophetic!

Quote:

D and E are close. Usually answer choices, which restate premises of the argument are wrong in inference questions. E kind of does that.

So D for me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 13:35
I would go with option E for the classical pianist question.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Check-out the following:
1. Math Divisibility Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 04:48
even i would go with the choice E for the classical pianist question.

whats the OA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 08:59
C is highly likely a classical.
Most classicals recognize CS.
Claudette, like most c's, recognize CS.
"Vast Majority" (NOT ALL) who are not classicals do not recognize CS. [But some who are not classicals may recognize CS.]
"Many" (NOT ALL) who are not classicals have not heard of CS.

With out reading answer choices, I thoght about two points:
1. It does not consider some who are not classicals may recognize CS and
2. some who are classicals but do not recognize CS

A, B, C are out of scope and D is not a correct answer.

E, IMO, the best choice.

Check-out the following:
1. Math Divisibility Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 09:41
Franklin wrote:
The Law School Admission Council created this question back in 2003-4 ... I thought the question to be quite prophetic!

Quote:

It is a straight forward if..then condition

if(not(car sales bad) or not(real estate slump))
then
economy is good

or
if((car sales bad ) and (real estate slump))
then
economy bad

From this analysis, the only option supported is C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 09:43
Franklin wrote:
One more for today ...

Quote:

The answer is clearly E.
B and C can be clearly eliminated
A doesnt matter or is outta scope
D similarly is out of scope
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 14:10
Franklin wrote:
One more for today ...

Quote:

The answer is E.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 14:11
Franklin wrote:

Quote:

The answer is D.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 14:22
Sorry guys for my sporadic posting. I was in NYC for a conference.

Quote:
Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula portrayed vampires - the "undead" who roam at night to such the blood out of living people - as able to turn into bats. As a result of the pervasive influence of this novel, many people now assume that a vampire's being able to turn into a bat is an essential part of vampire myths. However, this assumption is false, for vampire myths existed in Europe long before Stoker's book.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A) At least one of the European vampire myths that predated Stoker's book did not portray vampires as strictly nocturnal.

B) Vampire myths in Central and South America, where real vampire bats are found, portray vampires as able to turn into bats.

C) Vampire myths did not exist outside Europe before the publication of Stoker's Dracula.

D) At least one of the European vampire myths that predated Stoker's book did not portray vampires as able to turn into bats.

E) At the time he wrote Dracula, Stoker was familiar with earlier European vampire myths.

Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Last edited by Franklin on 03 Oct 2009, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 14:32
Quote:
Scientist: My research indicates that children who engage in impulsive behavior similar to adult thrill-seeking behavior are twice as likely as other children to have a gene variant that increases sensitivity to dopamine. From this, I conclude that there is a causal relationship between this gene variant and an inclination toward thrill-seeking behavior.

Which one of the following, if true, most calls into question the scientist's argument?

A) Many impulsive adults are not unusually sensitive to dopamine.

B) It is not possible to reliably distinguish impulsive behavior from other behavior.

C) Children are often described by adults as engaging in thrill-seeking behvaior simply because they act impulsively.

D) Many people exhibit behavioral tendencies as adults that they did not exhibit as children.

E) The gene variant studied by the scientist is correlated with other types of behavior in addition to thrill-seeking behavior.

Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 167 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
Franklin wrote:
Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula portrayed vampires - the "undead" who roam at night to such the blood out of living people - as able to turn into bats. As a result of the pervasive influence of this novel, many people now assume that a vampire's being able to turn into a bat is an essential part of vampire myths. However, this assumption is false, for vampire myths existed in Europe long before Stoker's book.

Franklin, the question is missing.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 14:42
powerka wrote:
Franklin wrote:

Franklin, the question is missing.

HAHA! Thanks ... fixed! Just adding a layer of difficulty!!!
Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2009, 14:42