Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 18

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 15:00
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Franklin.

Had missed the word "biological".

I see now how B is the best answer.

Please kudos if my post helps.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 62

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
Please excuse me for slacking on my question posting duties ... here's the one for tonight:

Quote:
Having lived through extraordinary childhood circumstances, Robin has no conception of the moral difference between right and wrong, only between what is legally permitted and what is not. When Robin committed an offense, Robin did not recognize the fact that it was a morally wrong act, despite knowing that it was illegal.

From the statements above, which one of the following can be properly inferred?

A) Robin committed no offense that was not legally permissible.

B) Robin did something that was morally wrong.

C) Moral ignorance is never excusable in the eyes of the law.

D) Robin's childhood could have provided more adequate training even in the circumstances.

E) Robin could now be brought to see the moral difference between right and wrong.

Okay just a tiny hint ... infer means to derive by reasoning; conclude or judge from premises or evidence. So make sure the answer choice is within the premises. Good luck! :-D
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 15:15
powerka wrote:
Thanks Franklin.

Had missed the word "biological".

I see now how B is the best answer.

No problemo! Glad to have you on board!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 18

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 15:31
Franklin wrote:
Quote:
Having lived through extraordinary childhood circumstances, Robin has no conception of the moral difference between right and wrong, only between what is legally permitted and what is not. When Robin committed an offense, Robin did not recognize the fact that it was a morally wrong act, despite knowing that it was illegal.

A) Robin committed no offense that was not legally permissible.

B) Robin did something that was morally wrong.

C) Moral ignorance is never excusable in the eyes of the law.

D) Robin's childhood could have provided more adequate training even in the circumstances.

E) Robin could now be brought to see the moral difference between right and wrong.

Okay just a tiny hint ... infer means to derive by reasoning; conclude or judge from premises or evidence. So make sure the answer choice is within the premises. Good luck! :-D

I say B.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 21:41
powerka wrote:
Franklin wrote:
Quote:

A) Robin committed no offense that was not legally permissible. I THINK IT IS ACTUALLY OPPOSITE. not legally permissible means illegal. and robin committed crime that he knows is iilegal.

B) Robin did something that was morally wrong. this restates one of the lines. pls note that it is written that the fact that it was a morally wrong act

C) Moral ignorance is never excusable in the eyes of the law. it goes too far.

D) Robin's childhood could have provided more adequate training even in the circumstances. we r nt sure of whether trining would be adequate.

does nt even mention this.

I say B.

yah even i feel that it is B. i have written my comments along each choice.

@franklin: it would be good if u could post more ques. ( say 5-6 each day)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 41

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 22:03
Oh.. i am late on this.
Time taken < 2mins

Premise 1 - Robin doesn't know the difference between Right or wrong
Premise 2 - But he knows the difference between what is legal and illegal (in the eyes of the law)
Conclusion - When Robin committed an offense, he did not recognize the fact that it was a morally wrong act, despite knowing that it was illegal.

Thought process - So, Robin committed an illegal act, he did not know if it were right or wrong (from premise 1). The answer should be on similar lines

A) Robin committed no offense that was not legally permissible. - Weak contender

B) Robin did something that was morally wrong. - Yes, this could be the case

C) Moral ignorance is never excusable in the eyes of the law. Out of scope

D) Robin's childhood could have provided more adequate training even in the circumstances. Out of scope

E) Robin could now be brought to see the moral difference between right and wrong. Out of scope

IMO B

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 15:03
B - 1:17
This is for the Robin question.

Why suddenly this thread seems lost velocity?
Am I missing something? Did you move to a new thread?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Check-out the following:
1. Math Divisibility Test

Current Student

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 16:00
sharkk wrote:
B - 1:17
This is for the Robin question.

Why suddenly this thread seems lost velocity?
Am I missing something? Did you move to a new thread?

Haha ... nope. Just busy with school. I'm a grad student at Cornell and the workload is overwhelming. I try to post one question daily but sometimes I just don't have the time. I'll try to be more consistent!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 62

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
The correct answer for the Robin question is B. Good job guys! I gave you a little hint on that one. By the way I answered the Robin question in 40 seconds.

Here's another question ...

Quote:
According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times, many of today's separate continents were part of a single huge landmass. As the plates on which this landmass rested began to move, the mass broke apart, and ocean water filled the newly created chasms. It is hypothesized, for example, that South America was once joined on its east coast with what is now the west coast of Africa.

Which one of the following discoveries, if it were made, would most support the above hypothesis about South America and Africa?

A) A large band of ancient rock of a rare type along the east coast of South America is of the same type as a band on the west coast of Africa.

B) Many people today living in Brazil are genetically quite similar to many western Africans.

C) The climates of western Africa and of the east coast of South America resemble each other.

D) Some of the oldest tribes of people living in eastern South America speak languages linguistically similar to various languages spoken by certain western African peoples.

E) Several species of plants found in western Africa closely resemble plants growing in South America.
Current Student

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 16:15
paruloberai wrote:
@franklin: it would be good if u could post more ques. ( say 5-6 each day)

I wish I could but I'm swamped with school work. The questions are LSAT questions. I'm a law school grad and for some weird reason I kept all of my LSAT prep materials. My sis dug them out of the storage unit and sent them to me.

If you want to test yourself on more questions you should look for an LSAT forum. I haven't looked but I'm sure there's got to be a forum out there somewhere.

I hope this helps!

-Franklin
Current Student

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 16:20
Here's another ...

Quote:
Some students attending a small university with a well-known choir live off campus. From the fact that all music majors are members of the choir, a professor in the music department concluded that none of the students who live off campus is a music major.

The professor's conclusion is properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

A) None of the students who live off campus is a member of the choir.

B) None of the students who are music majors has failed to join the choir.

C) Some of the students who do not live off campus are not music majors.

D) All students who live on campus are music majors.

E) All students who are members of the choir are music majors.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 17:54
This post received
KUDOS
Franklin wrote:
Here's another ...

Quote:
Some students attending a small university with a well-known choir live off campus. From the fact that all music majors are members of the choir, a professor in the music department concluded that none of the students who live off campus is a music major.

The professor's conclusion is properly drawn if which one of the following is assumed?

I'll go with A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 41

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 18:03

I think this needs diagramming ? I narrowed it down to C and D..but confused. Is there a method to solve these kind of questions.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 18

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 19:34
This post received
KUDOS
Franklin wrote:
Quote:
According to the theory of continental drift, in prehistoric times, many of today's separate continents were part of a single huge landmass. As the plates on which this landmass rested began to move, the mass broke apart, and ocean water filled the newly created chasms. It is hypothesized, for example, that South America was once joined on its east coast with what is now the west coast of Africa.

Which one of the following discoveries, if it were made, would most support the above hypothesis about South America and Africa?

A) A large band of ancient rock of a rare type along the east coast of South America is of the same type as a band on the west coast of Africa.

B) Many people today living in Brazil are genetically quite similar to many western Africans.

C) The climates of western Africa and of the east coast of South America resemble each other.

D) Some of the oldest tribes of people living in eastern South America speak languages linguistically similar to various languages spoken by certain western African peoples.

E) Several species of plants found in western Africa closely resemble plants growing in South America.

I say A. Found it very easy. Must have taken me 20-30secs.

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 196 [5] , given: 18

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 19:52
This post received
KUDOS
snipertrader wrote:

I think this needs diagramming ? I narrowed it down to C and D..but confused. Is there a method to solve these kind of questions.

When boggled by these kind of questions, use a Venn diagram.

The professor concluded that "none of the students who live off campus is a music major" = "all music majors live on campus". Given that all music majors are members of the choir, if all members of the choir live on campus, then all music majors live on campus. Therefore, answer is A.
Attachments

untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 15.03 KiB | Viewed 5626 times ]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 08:25
A for Continental qn and A for Music Majors qn.

Nice explanation with the venn diagram.

Check-out the following:
1. Math Divisibility Test

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 62

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 03:56
This post received
KUDOS
The answer for both questions is A. Good job. I'm not going to explain the answers since several of you did an outstanding job with explanations. Here is the question of the day ...

Quote:
Almost all microbe species live together in dense, interdependent communities, supporting the environment for each other, and regulating the population balances for their different species through a complex system of chemical signals. For this reason, it is currently impossible to cultivate any one such species in isolation. Thus, microbiologists lack complete knowledge of most microbe species.

Which one of the following, if assumed, enables the argument's conclusion to be properly drawn?

A) It is currently impossible for microbiologists to reproduce the complex system of chemical signals with which microbe communities regulate the population balances for their different species.

B) If it is currently impossible to reproduce the environmental supports and chemical signals in dense, interdependent communities of microbe species, then it is also impossible to cultivate any microbe species from such a community in isolation.

C) No microbiologist can have complete knowledge of any species of organism unless that microbiologist can cultivate that species in isolation.

D) At least some microbiologists lack complete knowledge of any microbe species that live together in dense, interdependent communities.

E) No microbe species that normally lives together with other microbe species in dense, interdependent communities can survive outside such a community.

Here's a hint to those who are struggling with this type of question. I hope this helps! So if you are one of those person's please read this:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Identify the conclusion and think of things that need to be assumed in order for the conclusion to work. The way to go about this is to identify key words or phrases in the conclusion. The assumption will be related to those key words or phrases. If you are able to see these right away and formulate an answer choice in your head before reading the answer choices you'll become very fast at identifying the correct answer.
Current Student

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 04:05
Here's a question that is a little more challenging. I actually had a question on the GMAT with the same argument structure but it was quite a bit longer.

Quote:
Reza: Language requires the use of verbal signs for objects as well as for feelings. Many animals can vocally express hunger, but only humans can ask for an egg or an apple by naming it. And using verbal signs for objects requires the ability to distinguish these objects from other objects, which in turn requires conceptual thought.

If all of Reza's statements are true, then which one of the following must also be true?

A) Conceptual thought is required for language

B) Conceptual thought requires the use of verbal signs for objects.

C) It is not possible to think conceptually about feelings.

D) All humans are capable of conceptual thought.

E) The vocal expressions of animals other than humans do not require conceptual thought.
Manager
Manager

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 06:59
Franklin wrote:
Quote:
Almost all microbe species live together in dense, interdependent communities, supporting the environment for each other, and regulating the population balances for their different species through a complex system of chemical signals. For this reason, it is currently impossible to cultivate any one such species in isolation. Thus, microbiologists lack complete knowledge of most microbe species.

Which one of the following, if assumed, enables the argument's conclusion to be properly drawn?

A) It is currently impossible for microbiologists to reproduce the complex system of chemical signals with which microbe communities regulate the population balances for their different species.

B) If it is currently impossible to reproduce the environmental supports and chemical signals in dense, interdependent communities of microbe species, then it is also impossible to cultivate any microbe species from such a community in isolation.

C) No microbiologist can have complete knowledge of any species of organism unless that microbiologist can cultivate that species in isolation.

D) At least some microbiologists lack complete knowledge of any microbe species that live together in dense, interdependent communities.

E) No microbe species that normally lives together with other microbe species in dense, interdependent communities can survive outside such a community.

Rephrase:
1) For reason X it is impossible to cultivate microbe species in isolation.
2) "Thus, microbiologists lack complete knowledge of most microbe species."
We are asked what assumption enables 2) to be concluded based on 1).

Only answer choices that mention "complete knowledge" are C and D.

Lets analyze C:
Given that it is impossible to cultivate microbe species in isolation (1), and that "no microbiologist can have complete knowledge of any species of organism unless that microbiologist can cultivate that species in isolation" (c), then it could be concluded that "microbiologists lack complete knowledge of most microbe species" (2).
---> I believe the answer is C. What makes me doubt is the word "most" on the answer, as following that line of reasoning microbiologists would lack complete knowledge of all microbe species, not most.

Lets analyze D:
"At least some microbiologists lack complete knowledge of any microbe species that live together in dense, interdependent communities"
---> D is another possible conclusion, not the assumption needed to conclude 2.

Manager
Manager

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 07:06
Franklin wrote:
Quote:
Reza: Language requires the use of verbal signs for objects as well as for feelings. Many animals can vocally express hunger, but only humans can ask for an egg or an apple by naming it. And using verbal signs for objects requires the ability to distinguish these objects from other objects, which in turn requires conceptual thought.

If all of Reza's statements are true, then which one of the following must also be true?

A) Conceptual thought is required for language

B) Conceptual thought requires the use of verbal signs for objects.

C) It is not possible to think conceptually about feelings.

D) All humans are capable of conceptual thought.

E) The vocal expressions of animals other than humans do not require conceptual thought.

Language <---- verbal signs <---- ability to distinguish <---- conceptual thought.

I say answer is A.

Re: Franklin's Super-Fly Critical Reasoning Question Thread   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2009, 07:06