Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Really good SC questions !!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 08:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Hi everyone.

I was solving the 1000 Sentence correction questions (which by the way I HIGHLY recommended !!! ). The only unfortunate part about it is that only an answer key is given and no detailed explanation as to why an answer is correct / incorrect is given. Needless to say, I got stuck on some of the questions I ran into and couldn’t figure out why my answer was incorrect and why the correct answer is correct.

Below is a list of 10 of the sentences. Some of them are correct and some of them are incorrect. However, I couldn’t figure out why the same were Correct / Incorrect. Could anyone help me out with some explanations?

1) Correct : In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featured the preparation of great quantities of ceremonial food, the wearing of many layers of colorful clothing adorned with silver, and the recounting of traditional tribal jokes and stories

Incorrect : Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home that featured the preparation of great quantities of ceremonial food, the wearing of many layers of colorful clothing adorned with silver, and the recounting of traditional tribal jokes and stories.

2) Correct : Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year

Incorrect : Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half

3) Correct : Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are necessary only in the South.

Incorrect : Although it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is necessary only in the South

4) Correct : Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year

5) Correct : American productivity is declining in relation to Europe’s; the energy expended per unit of production in the United States is as much as twice that expended in West Germany.

My question : Shouldn’t the underlined portion be ‘as much as twice of that expended in West Germany?’

6) Correct : Among the emotions on display in the negotiating room was anger for repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal

Incorrect : Among the emotions on display in the negotiating room were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal.

My question : When ‘among’ is used at the start of the sentence will the verb take the form of the words following among (i.e. emotions) or the words it precedes, i.e. anger etc

6) Correct : An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; so abundant has capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

Incorrect : An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; such has the abundance of capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

7) Correct : As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep within the oceans of the world these days, they increasingly are engaged in missions far different from the tasks for which they were built and for which their crews were trained over the last forty years

Incorrect : As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep within the oceans of the world these days, the missions they engage in are increasingly different than the tasks for which they were built and for which their crews were trained over the last forty years.

7) Correct : At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards.

Incorrect : At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, a form of ownership of the pre-Columbians and respected by the Spaniards

8) Correct : Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own

Incorrect : Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of his own

9) Correct : Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease it causes, listeriosis, afflicts some people in a contaminated area while sparing many others.

Incorrect : Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease it causes, listeriosis, afflicts some people in a contaminated area despite sparing many others.

My question : When is the usage of ‘Despite’ correct in GMAT. Could anyone provide some examples?

10) Correct : According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO’s), only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be.

My question : Should the clause after and before a semi-colon be able to stand on its own. In this case, the clause ‘it estimates that this year 73 percent will be’ is unable to stand on its own

Thanks for the help !!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 18:33
I have to run, but in the first one, the problem is what you modify.

What featured x, y, and z? Aho's home or the festival?
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 19:00
beachboysam wrote:
Hi everyone.

I was solving the 1000 Sentence correction questions (which by the way I HIGHLY recommended !!! ). The only unfortunate part about it is that only an answer key is given and no detailed explanation as to why an answer is correct / incorrect is given. Needless to say, I got stuck on some of the questions I ran into and couldn’t figure out why my answer was incorrect and why the correct answer is correct.

Below is a list of 10 of the sentences. Some of them are correct and some of them are incorrect. However, I couldn’t figure out why the same were Correct / Incorrect. Could anyone help me out with some explanations?

1) Correct : In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featured the preparation of great quantities of ceremonial food, the wearing of many layers of colorful clothing adorned with silver, and the recounting of traditional tribal jokes and stories

Incorrect : Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home that featured the preparation of great quantities of ceremonial food, the wearing of many layers of colorful clothing adorned with silver, and the recounting of traditional tribal jokes and stories.

2) Correct : Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year

Incorrect : Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while the previous year’s costs were cut in half

3) Correct : Although the lesser cornstalk borer is widely distributed, measures to control it are necessary only in the South.

Incorrect : Although it is widely distributed, control of the lesser cornstalk borer is necessary only in the South

4) Correct : Although some officials noted that using machines for farming in China costs more than traditional hand cultivation, the mechanization of farming in the village of Long Bow doubled the corn yield while cutting costs to half those of the previous year

5) Correct : American productivity is declining in relation to Europe’s; the energy expended per unit of production in the United States is as much as twice that expended in West Germany.

My question : Shouldn’t the underlined portion be ‘as much as twice of that expended in West Germany?’

6) Correct : Among the emotions on display in the negotiating room was anger for repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal

Incorrect : Among the emotions on display in the negotiating room were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal.

My question : When ‘among’ is used at the start of the sentence will the verb take the form of the words following among (i.e. emotions) or the words it precedes, i.e. anger etc

6) Correct : An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; so abundant has capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

Incorrect : An array of tax incentives has led to a boom in the construction of new office buildings; such has the abundance of capital been for commercial real estate that investors regularly scour the country for areas in which to build.

7) Correct : As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep within the oceans of the world these days, they increasingly are engaged in missions far different from the tasks for which they were built and for which their crews were trained over the last forty years

Incorrect : As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep within the oceans of the world these days, the missions they engage in are increasingly different than the tasks for which they were built and for which their crews were trained over the last forty years.

7) Correct : At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards.

Incorrect : At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, a form of ownership of the pre-Columbians and respected by the Spaniards
-> incorrectly says land is the form of ownership
8) Correct : Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own

Incorrect : Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of his own

The statement above is more concise than incorrect one . were influence on is wrong,influenced is concise

GMAT always takes concise sentences

9) Correct : Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease it causes, listeriosis, afflicts some people in a contaminated area while sparing many others.

Incorrect : Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease it causes, listeriosis, afflicts some people in a contaminated area despite sparing many others. -> it should be despite sparing many ,the desease affects affects some

My question : When is the usage of ‘Despite’ correct in GMAT. Could anyone provide some examples?

despite xyz,abc can occur....

xyz represents +ve, abc represents -ve effect

despite partying whole day ,he didnt feel happy
although he didnt feel happy ,he partied the whole night .

so in such contexts despite is right.

10) Correct : According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO’s), only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be. -> any clause after the semicolon should be independent as in it should continue with the main clause ,though here the clause after ; does mean something and its not incomplete .But no one says we have to put it without rest of the sentence .

take for eg :
the boy in black shirt stole my watch ; there he goes .
here also i believe this sentence is alright when taken together but when seperated from sentence does not mean correct

My question : Should the clause after and before a semi-colon be able to stand on its own. In this case, the clause ‘it estimates that this year 73 percent will be’ is unable to stand on its own

Thanks for the help !!!

I got to logout now ... ll answer the rest later!!!

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 03:38

In the correct sentence, "that featured" qualifies festival whereas in the incorrect sentence, it qualifies "her home".
SVP
SVP

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 04:10

The meaning of sentence changes with the highlighted text.
SVP
SVP

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 04:13

In both the sentences "it" references difference nouns.
SVP
SVP

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 04:16

If you replace "that" with "the energey", the sentence will make perfect sense without any "of" after "twice".
SVP
SVP

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 04:18

Subject is "anger" and hence "was" is the correct form of verb.
SVP
SVP

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 04:22

If I re-write the setence segment, it will look like
"capital has been so abundant...." in the first sentence and
"abundance of capital has been such for...." in the second sentence.

To me, the first sentence makes more sense.
SVP
SVP

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 04:26

I am not sure here. But, I think, the highlighted part is a modifier to "land" and does not make sense.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 12:18
7) Correct : As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep within the oceans of the world these days, they increasingly are engaged in missions far different from the tasks for which they were built and for which their crews were trained over the last forty years HERE THEY CLEARLY REFERS TO SUBMARINES

Incorrect : As U.S. nuclear attack submarines prowl their familiar haunts deep within the oceans of the world these days, the missions they engage in are increasingly different than the tasks for which they were built and for which their crews were trained over the last forty years. HERE THEY MIGHT REFER TO SUBMARINES OR OCEANS
Manager
Manager

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 12:20
8) Correct : Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style influenced generations of bluegrass artists, also inspired many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music differed significantly from his own BOLD PART IS A VERB

Incorrect : Bluegrass musician Bill Monroe, whose repertory, views on musical collaboration, and vocal style were an influence on generations of bluegrass artists, was also an inspiration to many musicians, including Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia, whose music was significantly different from that of his own BOLD PART IS NOT A CLEAR VERB.
Manager
Manager

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 12:24
10) Correct : According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO’s), only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be.

My question : Should the clause after and before a semi-colon be able to stand on its own.
YES

In this case, the clause ‘it estimates that this year 73 percent will be’ is unable to stand on its own

IT IS A COMPLETE SENTENCE.. HERE THE SENTENCE IMPLIES profitable AFTER will be.. profitable IS NOT MENTIONED EXPLICITLY BUT IT IS IMPLIED.. SEE ELLIPSES CONCEPT FOR THIS..
Manager
Manager

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 12:25
9) Correct : Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease it causes, listeriosis, afflicts some people in a contaminated area while sparing many others. WHILE REPRESENTS A CONTRAST..

Incorrect : Doctors still know little about how the Listeria bacterium is spread and why the disease it causes, listeriosis, afflicts some people in a contaminated area despite sparing many others.

My question : When is the usage of ‘Despite’ correct in GMAT. Could anyone provide some examples? DESPITE MEANS INSPITE OF..
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 3

Re: Really good SC questions !!! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
Yes this is the problem with 1000 SCs there is no real answer key with explanations. While doing the problems, I looked for the correct answers in the forum (many of these questions are already discussed and the discussions are scattered and where I could not find I posted the questions in the forums). I've attached relevant portions from my error log (only the questions where I had doubts and I reearched the answers/explanations) that contains some explanations. In many cases there are excerpts from some good discussions in gmatclub.

I'm sure many others are maintaining error logs as well ... i think if we have one central copy and keep updating where everyone can pitch in ... we can soon create an answer key for 1000SCs ...
Attachments

errorlog_upload.xls [422 KiB]
Downloaded 257 times

To download please login or register as a user

Re: Really good SC questions !!!   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2009, 08:01