Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The overarching implications of discursive constructivism

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [7] , given: 696

The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 18:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The overarching implications of discursive constructivism are realized in every aspect of reality in which language is involved, since language manifests our conceptual framework. Because something is the way it is because we bestow our perceptions onto it via language, examining the philosophy of language proves itself especially important in feminist discourse. Some feminists have advanced the notion of formulating a new reality more congenial to women by which women will liberate themselves from oppressive patriarchal discourses and thrive with their new found expressive capabilities.

The inherent maleness of language, in light of discursive constructivism, traps women in a hierarchy of patriarchal social relations in which they are delegated to the lower rungs. Language often represents maleness as the norm, obscures the existence and importance of women, and imbeds a male-centric worldview, creating a picture of the world more suited to men than women. The English language, among many others, engages in what Frye calls the absurd practice of sex-marking, in which language assigns a critical importance to gender in situations in which it is, in reality, irrelevant, thereby perpetuating the narrative that men and women are somehow irrevocably and fundamentally dissimilar.

The patriarchal nature of language cannot be denied as a general force, yet feminists are not entirely correct to say that the entirety of a language enforces a discriminatory narrative. Although a plethora of specific terms and usages which stifle women’s equality exist, certain neutral words are undeniably present which have escaped the male bias which afflicts so much of our semantic reality. It is important to note that the patriarchal structure of society does not grant men complete control over language, despite their immense influence in the creation of dictionaries, grammatical rules and usage guides.

Which of the following best summarizes the contents of the passage?

A. Since many linguistic constructs display no gender bias, the feminist argument that language creates the male-centric structure of our society that traps women in the lower rungs of a patriarchal hierarchy has no merit.

B. Feminists consider language, which, they argue, has a male bias and therefore devalues women, to be of great importance because of language’s effect on how we perceive reality, even though this critique, although correct in principle, is unfounded in some cases.

C. The feminist argument that language reflects the patriarchal order of society and therefore relegates women to a lower status has many merits but it is not entirely correct.

D. Discursive constructivism, the concept that language is an active agent in the creation of what we perceive as reality, is of great concern to feminists, but their concerns, while founded, are exaggerated.

E. Language imposes a patriarchal discourse biased against women and constitutes a grave concern to feminists, who, although aware of language as a force which shapes reality, believe it is only male-centric in certain aspects.

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Mar 2014, 02:28, edited 2 times in total.
Added the OA.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 29

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 22:04
This post received
KUDOS
First off, where did you get this passage from? There is some really funky grammar here (Ex: "Because something is the way it is because..." etc).

Secondly, here are my notes from reading the passage. I use short forms when taking notes, but that wouldn't help you, so here's a longer version of what I took down:

Para I - Language influences perception of reality. Important to feminists. Some feminists - want to change perceptions by new expressions.
Para II - Explanation: Language is male. Patriarchal trap. Women lower rung. Example: English. Frye.
Para III - However: All language does not enforce discrimination. Neutral words. Men dominate society but do not control language.

Now looking at my notes and the choices, this is how I went through them:

A - Too strong a dismissal of feminist explanation. Incorrect.
B - Very strong contender. Summarizes the main idea of the passage. Correct.

At this point if I was pressed for time, I'd mark B as correct and move on. However, lets take a look at the other choices too.

C - The only thing wrong here is the 'many merits' part. The passage doesn't discuss 'many merits' of the feminist argument. Incorrect.
D - The feminists concern is not exaggerated; the author themselves say that it is valid. Incorrect.
E - According to the passage, feminists believe language is male centric as a norm, not in just 'certain aspects'. Incorrect.

Hope this helped. Thanks for sharing. :)

The only ability the GMAT is an indicator of...is the ability to do well on the GMAT.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 103

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
A good RC.
Which of the following best summarizes the contents of the passage?

A. Since many linguistic constructs display no gender bias, the feminist argument that language creates the male-centric structure of our society that traps women in the lower rungs of a patriarchal hierarchy has no merit.Opposite view

B. Feminists consider language, which, they argue, has a male bias and therefore devalues women, to be of great importance because of language’s effect on how we perceive reality, even though this critique, although correct in principle, is unfounded in some cases.Not sure if it is wrong, but i am not sure what unfounded stands here as the critique himself tells this is not the case always

C. The feminist argument that language reflects the patriarchal order of society and therefore relegates women to a lower status has many merits but it is not entirely correct.merit is never discussed so wrong

D. Discursive constructivism, the concept that language is an active agent in the creation of what we perceive as reality, is of great concern to feminists, but their concerns, while founded, are exaggerated.maleness of language is a concern , so wrong

E. Language imposes a patriarchal discourse biased against women and constitutes a grave concern to feminists, who, although aware of language as a force which shapes reality, believe it is only male-centric in certain aspects. seems to me the best

Out of B and E , E seems to be the best.

in my opinion E. Please let me know the OA. and also plz correct my comments if i have gone wrong somewhere.

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 696

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 02:32
Expert's post
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 03:33
The answer is B, still time a concern it took over 5 mins.
Expert Post

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 06:33
Expert's post
Do not worry about too much.

Sometimes those RC are done more difficult than real passage: on one hand to gain customers and so on, on the other hand to teach the method or reasoning behind, to teach a METHOD of learning

In rc passage the best strategy (at least for me, but for upper level question is the best): read once and understand; ask yourself "what is the overall scope ?? this paragraph what role has ?? what is the spine of the passage ???

I always repeat myself: gmat needs a lot od dedication and time to build the concepts, digest them, understand an entire language (native and NO native)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 103

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 07:16
Carcass if u have the explanations can u please post them.. I am not totally convinced why B why not E.

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Expert Post

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 09:14
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
Carcass if u have the explanations can u please post them.. I am not totally convinced why B why not E.

reand ONCE read Carefullly

Quote:
The overarching implications of discursive constructivism are realized in every aspect of reality in which language is involved, since language manifests our conceptual framework. Because something is the way it is because we bestow our perceptions onto it via language, examining the philosophy of language proves itself especially important in feminist discourse. Some feminists have advanced the notion of formulating a new reality more congenial to women by which women will liberate themselves from oppressive patriarchal discourses and thrive with their new found expressive capabilities.

The inherent maleness of language, in light of discursive constructivism, traps women in a hierarchy of patriarchal social relations in which they are delegated to the lower rungs. Language often represents maleness as the norm, obscures the existence and importance of women, and imbeds a male-centric worldview, creating a picture of the world more suited to men than women. The English language, among many others, engages in what Frye calls the absurd practice of sex-marking, in which language assigns a critical importance to gender in situations in which it is, in reality, irrelevant, thereby perpetuating the narrative that men and women are somehow irrevocably and fundamentally dissimilar.

The patriarchal nature of language cannot be denied as a general force, yet feminists are not entirely correct to say that the entirety of a language enforces a discriminatory narrative. Although a plethora of specific terms and usages which stifle women’s equality exist, certain neutral words are undeniably present which have escaped the male bias which afflicts so much of our semantic reality. It is important to note that the patriarchal structure of society does not grant men complete control over language, despite their immense influence in the creation of dictionaries, grammatical rules and usage guides.

Quote:
B. Feminists consider language, which, they argue, has a male bias and therefore devalues women, to be of great importance because of language’s effect on how we perceive reality, even though this critique, although correct in principle, is unfounded in some cases.

The strategy for the main idea is to understand really but really to the big picture. If you read the entire passa 99.99 % of times pop up in front of you as soon as you read the answer choices :)

Quote:
D. Discursive constructivism, the concept that language is an active agent in the creation of what we perceive as reality, is of great concern to feminists, but their concerns, while founded, are exaggerated.

Is not properly the same :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 76

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 09:54
I was confused between B and C. I selected C. But I understand why I was wrong.
Great passage! Thanks Carcass. Kudos!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 103

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 22:06
Thnkx Carcass for ur post. My pick was E. Can you help me in discarding E.

Expert Post

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 02:20
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1156

Kudos [?]: 5374 [1] , given: 165

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 23:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
Thnkx Carcass for ur post. My pick was E. Can you help me in discarding E.

Responding to a pm:

E: Language imposes a patriarchal discourse biased against women and constitutes a grave concern to feminists, who, although aware of language as a force which shapes reality, believe it is only male-centric in certain aspects.

According to option E, feminists believe that language is male-centric in certain aspects.

According to the passage, feminists believe that entirety of language is male-centric. Read first line of third paragraph:

"The patriarchal nature of language cannot be denied as a general force, yet feminists are not entirely correct to say that the entirety of a language enforces a discriminatory narrative."

The author is telling us that the feminists say that the entirety of a language enforces a discriminatory narrative.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3611

Kudos [?]: 28883 [1] , given: 2859

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2014, 02:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 10:29
Sorry to say, but what is this standard??? It took some 4 minutes to grasp the 1st paragraph!!! Then the next two.

Well, it was a pretty high standard question. Kudos to you. But, how often does 1 get to see such high standard RC ques??
Re: The overarching implications of discursive constructivism   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2014, 10:29