Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [3]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Marketing Management
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Re: Those in marketing... [#permalink]
Thank you for sharing a typical work day with us. Your work day sounds ideal to me. I love sharing ideas and turning hard data into usable information. I applied to business school this year but I didn't get into my target schools because my GMAT score was so low. I'm studying to re-take the exam now.

In the meantime, I'd like to move into a position with a consumer packaged goods company. I believe I would actually enjoy it (it would help me make a more compelling case to the admissions committees).

How would you suggest I go about pursuing this? What kinds of positions should I look for i.e. Brand Assistant??

Many Thanks in advance.

cpgmba wrote:
I love it. I knew I wanted to be in CPG marketing but started in CPG Sales at a top food company out of undergrad because most top companies require MBA's. After a couple years experience, I moved over to a smaller CPG food company as an associate marketing manager. So far, I'm really happy with the career choice. I like food marketing because I love food and grocery stores.

Below is a normal day for me:
8:00 - Weekly meeting with marketing team to discuss projects for the week and talk about marketing team initiatives
9:00 - Business analysis - Using syndicated data (IRI, AC Nielsen) to see what the competitors have done in the past month. Examine how our portfolio is performing with the recent price increase.
11:00 - Meeting with R&D developer on project X. Cutting (tasting) on 5 versions of a products he's developed. Give feedback, further guidance, and timeline for next revisions.
12:00 - Lunch meeting with MarCom (Marketing Communications) to discuss upcomming FSI (newspaper coupon insert) drop and IRC coupons at select customers
1:00 - Project work - Review financials for new item projects that I have to present to the executive team next month. Make sure costing is coming in on budget.
2:00 - Meeting with design services to review concepts for packaging design of new product we're launching next year.
3:00 - New product team meeting - Cross-functional meeting with R&D, operations, purchasing, engineering, and sales to discuss new products for next year.
4:00 - Meeting with purchasing, operations and packaging engineer to see if we can utilize a new type of packaging that will enhance shelf presence.
5:00 - Catch up on emails you missed throughout the day

As you can see, lots of meetings. Some days are better than others. As an AMM, I am more focused on project management and data analysis while my boss (Marketing Manager) oversees the AMM's projects and is focused on portfolio strategy. The more you move up, the less you work on projects and data analysis. Work-life balance is not too bad. I've worked 90 hours once and a few 70-80 hour weeks but for the most part its in the 50 range. I've heard some larger companies are a bit more demanding though.

It's a great career and the nice thing about CPG marketing is that its very insular. Once you get into CPG marketing, it's easy to move around and work your way up. If you ever don't like your job, just wait for the next headhunter to call (MM's get multiple calls a week).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
:lol: :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
You probably have two options to get into CPG right now.

#1 - Get into sales with a top CPG company. Companies like Kraft, General Mills, P&G, etc. have excellent sales divisions that provide a great opportunity to get into the industry without an MBA. Most recruit out of undergrad but I know you can still get in as an experienced hire as well.
Pros - This would really help build your understanding of the industry as well as be a good resume builder. A lot of these sales positions are not your typical sales roles. It usually involves cateogry management which is a great introduction into marketing data analysis.
Cons - It's very rare to move from sales to marketing within these companies. However if you are planning to leave to get your MBA that wouldn't be much of a problem.

#2 - Find a smaller CPG company and look for a marketing assistant / assistant marketing manager position. Look for regional companies (a lot of times in the food industry - meat, dairy, candy, confections, etc...) that have a CPG marketing department. One key to find out is if they have a stage-gate process for New Product Development.
Pros - Actual marketing experience. Let's you know before you invest in an MBA if marketing is right for you.
Cons - Usually a lack of training. Company name on resume is not very strong.

I would vote for #1 if you can. The top companies provide outstanding training that will build a really strong foundation that you can leverage before and after your MBA.

Good luck!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot