Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:58

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2 Masters Degrees

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

2 Masters Degrees [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 17:58
I am currently an undergraduate junior just trying to plan out my future. Anyway, I have the ability to graduate from undergrad a semester early, and then believe I will have an option to get two masters degrees without much cost. My state has a program where you get undergrad paid for ahead of time by your parents, and you get the number of credits required for a bachelors degree. I have this, and I have a plan for my schedule for the next couple semesters such that I can graduate with 52 of those credits remaining. I've heard MBA programs do not like "degree collectors" but that a Masters in Engineering is usually okay. However, is two masters overdoing it? I don't see any point in not using the credits, so the question is what to do with them.

My undergraduate degree is Computer Science, I currently have no minors, but am not to far off. If I do the two masters degrees, I'm thinking Industrial Engineering (with a heavy OR focus), and Economics. IE for a good job, Econ because I really like Econ. The cost of this will be about 21K. (I have no undergraduate debt, and I'll use internship money to pay that off).

If I don't do that, and do just 1 masters degree (Industrial Engineering), I can do a dual BSE & BA in Economics and Computer Science, and minor in Math. The additional cost of this will be approximately 5K.

I do eventually want to get an MBA, and I realize that will render the masters degrees somewhat useless, but again, no sense in not using those credits.

What are your guy's thoughts? Which should I go with?
Current Student
Schools: Tuck class of 2012
WE 1: 2 years market development (public)
WE 2: 5 years corporate finance (private)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: 2 Masters Degrees [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 18:30
I already have 3 Master's degrees and my MBA is my 4th one :lol: ... I would assume that you're safe with two if you can explain why you need an MBA at the time you will apply.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: 2 Masters Degrees [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 18:36
if you really want the 1 extra one and think it's worth the 5k, then go for it. the cost of the 2nd master's doesn't seem to be worth it IMO. just be sure you choose your majors wisely. comp sci + econ + IE seem to be (on the surface at least) 3 very unrelated majors. you can always make the argument for having 1 seemingly unrelated masters (i.e. trying to "broaden your perspective"), but having 2 masters like that makes it much harder to justify.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: 2 Masters Degrees [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 20:17
Are you having trouble securing impressive employment? Doing something important in the real world will be much better for you than spending two years of your youth stagnating in school. I say stagnating because you've already decided you want an MBA. Those degrees won't help you with the MBA at all. I say graduate early and optimize your use of the years you've got left in your life, not the credit hours you've got left in your program.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 2 Masters Degrees [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 20:46
Econ and IE are very similar (well, at least Econ and OR which is where I will be focusing within IE). The math minor helps with the background knowledge for both of those. The CS major is what I am doing because I am so close to finishing my major in it (like 18 credits away, where as I would be ~40 from an IE undergrad degree), but it is not what I want to do with my life.

"Are you having trouble securing impressive employment?"

Don't really know yet, but I'm guessing McKinsey is going to be out of my reach.
Re: 2 Masters Degrees   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2010, 20:46