Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2015, 02:17
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE !

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE ! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 10:11
Hello guys,

Here is my situation,

I have concentrated too much time on doing single exercises on the past 2 months and my test is in 3 weeks time now.( 31st of Jan). In my diagnostic test in November; I scored only 390 : Verbal : 23/28 % ; Quantitative 20 / 8 % Total : 390 / 11 %. This was due to a lack of preparation and especially poor time management ( since I wasted 20 min on 1 question). In the past two months I have only revised the maths section since this was my weaker topic, but I am considering taking full practice tests so that I can revise both topics. I can spend on average 6 hours a day till the exam date since I don't have lessons now.. but efficiency is my main concern as I feel I am not progressing rapidly enough. I am going to take private tuition to boost my maths skills but I feel like that's not going to help as much on the overall test strategy , verbal skills and exam technique...so I am thinking of taking as much as exam papers as possible ( e.g 12 ) . I do know whether that is a good strategy.. maybe I should focus more on quality rather than quantitty and take less. What do you reccomend?

I am currently using the MC-Graw's HIll 2006 version with 12 adaptive exams but I have to give that back. ! I am thinking of getting the 2011 version but that only contains 6 tests.. are older books still valid ??

Kind Regards,
Mass.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE ! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 14:13
Considering your time constraint I would try to concentrate on doing as many of the official GMAT questions if possible. My advice is to make sure you understand the problems that you are doing rather than trying to get in as many problems as possible. If you learn the concepts you can apply them to many other problems. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UC Berkeley, UCLA
WE 1: Applications
WE 2: Marketing Engr

Re: 3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE ! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 15:06
I agree with the previous post. I would spend my time on getting my concepts right and work on full length practice tests. Take atleast 4 or 5 full length practice tests before you give your final exam. This should help you in getting your timing right.
Intern
Intern

Re: 3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE ! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 15:13
Thanks for your reply. What do you think of the Mc Graw Hill's preparation ? I am using the 2006 version.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UC Berkeley, UCLA
WE 1: Applications
WE 2: Marketing Engr

Re: 3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE ! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 15:58
I dont know anything about McGraw hill. I am using the OG books and some Manhattan books
Intern
Intern

Re: 3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE ! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 23:16
.The thing is that the official guide contains separate question and only one few GMAT prep exams( 2 online and 1 in the book). I would like to get use to the exam computer adaptive tests as well as working on key concepts. What source do you reccomend that contains key material and full practice tests? I aiming to get a target score of 600 , can I concentrate on some of the key concepts and practice tests directly since I have 3 weeks left only ( 6h a day on average).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE ! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 12:44
I went on the Manhattan GMAT website and was able to get 6 free computer adaptive tests online to practice. The quant sections seem to be a bit more difficult so dont get worried if your quant score is a bit lower than you want. The verbal sections are good though and it also gives you a chance to practice a full test to get used to it. They also have good explanations for each of the problems you get wrong.
Manager
Manager
Schools: LSE
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 5

Re: 3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE ! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 22:44
500-700-in-45-days-average-student-s-guide-to-success-106524.html

Check it out. May help you declutter your mind a little.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: 3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE ! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 13:55
Not to demoralize you, but if you are not hitting close to 600 in your preps (2 or 3 days before the exam) then don't expect any miracles on the real exam.

Long story short I recommend the following:
1. Are you unable to complete the test of just get too many questions wrong?
2. If you are getting too many questions wrong do the following
a) Identify your weak areas.
b) Pick up OG 11 or OG 12 and work out problems in that area. MGMAT probably has a master list that classifies all questions by their class.
c) Practice OG questions, but the key is to read the explanations for the correct and incorrect questions alike. Understand what you did wrong and why and take some corrective action to
not repeat that mistake.
3. If your strategy is faulty, then search for Run Purewal's posts on MGMAT he has some excellent advice. His advise in a nutshell: have a time-plan and a contingency strategy. In an excel sheet note how much time you can spend per question (both sections). Also, look analyze the verbal section in GMAT Prep - the real GMAT follows the question order pretty closely.
Re: 3 weeks left !!! HELP PLEASE !   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2011, 13:55