Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

30-60-90 Triangle Property Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
30-60-90 Triangle Property Question [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 10:57
The height of an equilateral triangle splits the triangle into two 30-60-90 triangles (Each 30-60-90 triangle has sides in the ratio of 1: square root of 3: 2). Because of this, the area for an equilateral triangle can be expressed in terms of one side. If we call the side of the equilateral triangle, s, the height must be (s multiplied by square root of 3) / 2 (using the 30-60-90 relationships).

Can someone explain why the height which is the square root of 3 is being divided by 2? The explanation then states... "The area of a triangle = 1/2 × base × height, so the area of an equilateral triangle can be expressed as: 1/2 × s × (s multiplied by square root of 3) / 2 .

The question i pulled this from is asking about the area of the triangle. MGMAT's explanation does not make sense to me of why the height is being divided by 2 initially.

Thanks!!!!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1131 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 30-60-90 Triangle Property Question [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 11:23
This post received
KUDOS
Richard0715 wrote:
The height of an equilateral triangle splits the triangle into two 30-60-90 triangles (Each 30-60-90 triangle has sides in the ratio of 1: square root of 3: 2). Because of this, the area for an equilateral triangle can be expressed in terms of one side. If we call the side of the equilateral triangle, s, the height must be (s multiplied by square root of 3) / 2 (using the 30-60-90 relationships).

Can someone explain why the height which is the square root of 3 is being divided by 2? The explanation then states... "The area of a triangle = 1/2 × base × height, so the area of an equilateral triangle can be expressed as: 1/2 × s × (s multiplied by square root of 3) / 2 .

The question i pulled this from is asking about the area of the triangle. MGMAT's explanation does not make sense to me of why the height is being divided by 2 initially.

Thanks!!!!!!

Lets say that the side is s. so the side of the base of the 30-60-90 triangle is s/2. Do you agree? Now the side of the 30-60-90 triangle are in the proportion
1x : x\sqrt{3} : 2x. because 1x is refered to the base and the base = s/2 we can conclude that x=s/2
So the height will be x\sqrt{3} where x=s/2 so H=\frac{s}{2}\sqrt{3}

Let me know if it's clear now

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 493

Kudos [?]: 2016 [0], given: 30

Re: 30-60-90 Triangle Property Question [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 10:54
Expert's post
Richard0715 wrote:

Thanks!!!!!!

Dear Richard,
It appears that Zarrolou already gave a fine explanation to this specific question. Here are a couple links that provide some more background:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-math- ... emorizing/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-gmats- ... triangles/
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: 30-60-90 Triangle Property Question   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2013, 10:54