Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

3rd Attempt - only 570 :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

3rd Attempt - only 570 :( [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 01:27
Guys,

The following are my real GMAT scores:
Oct 2004 - 550 ( 41Q, 25V )
Aug 2005 - 600 ( 43Q, 30V )
Aug 11 2006 - 570 ( 42Q, 27V )

First Test:
I didnt know about gmatclub during my first attempt. I prepared just using OG, Kaplan and Princeton Review book. I attempted GMAT based on the user reviews at Amazon.com from where I bought those books. During the test, I knew I screwed my Quant and hence i could not focus on Verbal esp RC's and finally my score was low as expected.

Second Test:
I bought only the Kaplan Verbal Workbook as extra and prepared for the test. But during the preparation time, I had some personal problems. My preparation was not upto the mark. I happen to see gmatclub at that time but didnt take it too seriously. I ended up getting better than last time but only by 50 points.

Third Test:
This time I moved back to India from US and I am seperated with my wife . I joined Princeton Review course and attended the course regularly. I also took GMAT club seriously and downloaded all the sticky materials. The PR tutor was not teaching anything extra that I already know but the knowledge I gained thorugh gmatclub was AMAZING !! You guys really rock esp ps_dahiya, jaynayak etc. I was really seeing improvement in my verbal score in online PR CAT's. In the last CAT at PR online, I scored 680 with 51Q,33 V. While I was passively going through Verbal forum, my strike rate in CR was 100%, SC was 80%. I practiced LSAT 1000RC's and my strike rate was 80%.

My test center experience was good. I wrote my essays pretty well.My first couple of Quant questions were ok but after that questions seemed difficult. The last 8 questions were easy, I could breeze through those questions. My Verbal questions though seemed difficult but i was really able to crack those questions. IMHO, my CR and RC answers would have been 100% right ( but my score reflects otherwise).

I honestly dont know what to do now. My mind says I should not give up but I also feel that I should move on.

I am Indian Software Professional working in Hyderabad and I have 8 yrs of experience. I have worked in US for 6 yrs and have a green card. I moved to India recently and want to spend the rest of my life in India. My aim to get into ISB Hyderabad.

My practice test scores:
PR CAT:
1: 580
2: 580
3: 620 (45Q, 31V)
4: 640 (50Q, 25V)
5: 680 (51Q, 33V)

GMAT Prep1: 560
GMAT Prep2: 600
GMAT Prep again ( with some repeats): 730 ( 50Q, 38V )

I feel the PR Quant is totally waste when compared with real GMAT quant questions.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 05:36
I would add that not only quant is a waste , but verbal is out of scope
Inflating score makes anyone who takes it feels over confident
and start lessening their study.

Try ManhattanGMAT book , SC and all its quant books to boost your score

I got 680 on some PRCATs and 540 on real test and all V score in PRcat
is around 30-38 while V score in officialtest is 13!
It is not good representative and all SC in prcat is easier than GMATPREP
This is enough to inflat anyone's V score by 10-15 point
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2006, 23:56
I am not an expert when it comes to GMAT strategies.. but i can tell you that PR Stuff is just good for basics.. about GMAT.. about its structure, about its questons/.. But not at all good when it comes to the prep for real thing..
do GMAT Prep as many times as you can. Cos its the real thing. the questions in that software reflect 90% of GMAT's level...

"Can't Died in the Battel of Try"

Manager
Manager

Hey [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 09:24
WHat kind of Math questions were you faced with? How did you prepare for quant?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 20:23
Gmatinjune,

Can you please elaborate on your verbal preparations?

The reason I am asking is that it is really strange for some one who has a 80% hit rate in SC1000 and CR1000 to get such a low score.

If we knew how exactly you prepared, may be we can suggest some changes. For example, did you give short timed tests for the SC1000 and CR1000? How is your RC hit rate? etc.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2006, 03:51
jay,

I used to do 30 - 40 SC, CR questions in an hour and then verify the answers.

For RC's, I did LSAT RC's but couldnt finish it in time. But my questions were almost 80% correct.
  [#permalink] 23 Aug 2006, 03:51