Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

5 Digit Integer.......

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 103
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

5 Digit Integer....... [#permalink] New post 02 May 2009, 15:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Attachment:
untitled.gif
untitled.gif [ 2.75 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 147
Schools: Anderson
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

Re: 5 Digit Integer....... [#permalink] New post 02 May 2009, 18:21
Lets take 123x7 as an example for this problem, where x is the tens digit.

Statement 1 - When 123x7 is multiplied by 1000, we get 123x7000, where thousands digit is 7. Doesn't give any info about x. Therefore, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 - When 123x7 is divided by 1000, we get 12.3x7, where hundredths digit is 7 => x = 7. SUFFICIENT.

Answer B.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 558
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 5 Digit Integer....... [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 20:17
I guess I am missing something here....how come x=7? Question is asking about tens digit...7 is hunderds digit....how can you find x from B???????
goldeneagle94 wrote:
Lets take 123x7 as an example for this problem, where x is the tens digit.

Statement 1 - When 123x7 is multiplied by 1000, we get 123x7000, where thousands digit is 7. Doesn't give any info about x. Therefore, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 - When 123x7 is divided by 1000, we get 12.3x7, where hundredths digit is 7 => x = 7. SUFFICIENT.

Answer B.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 140
Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: 5 Digit Integer....... [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 20:52
Let the 5 digit integer be abcde. We need to find d.
1. abcde X 1000= abcde000, so the thoudsands digit of this number if e. Therefore we cannot find d from this information. Hence insufficient.
2. abcde/1000= ab.cde
here c is tenth digit and d is hundredth digit. Hence when given the hundredths digit we can say that d=7

hence sufficient.

Remember: tens digit is not same as tenths digit.

123.45: Here 2 is tens digit while 4 is tenths digit

Hence B.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 147
Schools: Anderson
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

Re: 5 Digit Integer....... [#permalink] New post 05 May 2009, 02:29
reply2spg wrote:
I guess I am missing something here....how come x=7? Question is asking about tens digit...7 is hunderds digit....how can you find x from B???????
goldeneagle94 wrote:
Lets take 123x7 as an example for this problem, where x is the tens digit.

Statement 1 - When 123x7 is multiplied by 1000, we get 123x7000, where thousands digit is 7. Doesn't give any info about x. Therefore, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 - When 123x7 is divided by 1000, we get 12.3x7, where hundredths digit is 7 => x = 7. SUFFICIENT.

Answer B.



Lets take 123.456

3 - Units Digit
2 - Tens Digit
1 - Hundreds Digit
4 - Tenths Digit
5 - Hundredths Digit
6 - Thousandths Digit
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 558
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 5 Digit Integer....... [#permalink] New post 06 May 2009, 05:57
Is oa B for this, still I am not agree, why in case number is 77777? Then tens digit is different? We are getting two values and not uniq then IMO it should be

goldeneagle94 wrote:
reply2spg wrote:
I guess I am missing something here....how come x=7? Question is asking about tens digit...7 is hunderds digit....how can you find x from B???????
goldeneagle94 wrote:
Lets take 123x7 as an example for this problem, where x is the tens digit.

Statement 1 - When 123x7 is multiplied by 1000, we get 123x7000, where thousands digit is 7. Doesn't give any info about x. Therefore, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2 - When 123x7 is divided by 1000, we get 12.3x7, where hundredths digit is 7 => x = 7. SUFFICIENT.

Answer B.



Lets take 123.456

3 - Units Digit
2 - Tens Digit
1 - Hundreds Digit
4 - Tenths Digit
5 - Hundredths Digit
6 - Thousandths Digit
Re: 5 Digit Integer.......   [#permalink] 06 May 2009, 05:57
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic The average of 5 distinct single digit integers is 5. If qweert 12 02 Sep 2012, 20:20
The average of 5 distinct single digit integers is 5. If 2 baileyf16 5 31 Oct 2007, 10:05
How many 5-digit positive integers exist the sum of whose apollo168 5 05 Aug 2006, 05:19
If k is a positive integer and the tens digit of k+5 is 4 , copper_waters 1 16 Feb 2006, 05:47
The average of 5 distinct single digit integers is 5. If two gmat2006 6 18 Nov 2005, 15:33
Display posts from previous: Sort by

5 Digit Integer.......

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.