Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

580-630

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

580-630 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 06:57
I have taken the test and scored a pitfiul 410 :oops:

I started studying a few days after I fell of the horse which was Sept 1 '05.

My resources are the following:

Manhattan GMAT study guides
OG 11th edition with both supplements
Kaplan CATs/Kaplan Qbank from their website

I've taken 4 Kaplan CATs and scored 530, 580, 570, 560. I know from reading other peoples experinces, that are no predictors when going for this test. The only time you can say you were ready is after you get the score you need. Then you can come back on the forum and tell everybody what worked and what didn't.

I am shooting for anything between 580 & 630, (preferably the latter). I've also used the OG 10 and little bit of the OG 11 during my last attempt.

Bottom line I am feeling a little worn out and was hoping someone can offer me a little advice. A guy I hired who helps analyze my work has this to say.

I archived your CAT 2-3-4 results and I have them on my laptop so I am going to do an across-the board evaluation today - we can talk later this afternoon

As I said to you the other day - taking CAT after CAT - especially if you diversify the offerings, can only be helpful - but the real issue is are you LEARNING enough by merely charging through CAT after CAT

This is where I think the answer is NO

My sense of how someone learns, is to do a CAT, study the errors that confirmed that he didn't really understand a conceppt or process (this will exclude the silly mistake type of error) - then do a comprehensive study of the type of problem. REALLY REALLY make sure he understands the concept and can apply it in future instances.

With or without the help of a coach

And from then on, subsequent CATs should confirm that he has mastered the technique (I would say he should score 90% correct on that particulat type of problem category thereafter - so make room for the occasional gotcha)

If this is NOT happening - and I don't think it is happening in your case, then it shows me that you are not spending enough time dwelling on your past errors. Merely going through another CAT without catching up with the learning modality does you very little good. This also explains why you seem to have hit a wall - your score is NOT marching upward, as it should: Why??

Because you are not enhancing your knowledge base. You keep taking CAT after CAT, with the same knowledge/capability

If anyone has any advice, please let me know. :?:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 15:22
The person you hired hit it right on the head...you need to keep an error log and analyze your mistakes. Look for patterns, where you're going wrong. If that still doesn't help, then I would look at taking a prep class.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2005, 00:32
Did you have any timing issues? What were your score breakdowns?
Manager
Manager

Score breakdowns [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2005, 10:46
My last 3 CATs scores were

530 Q35/V25
580 Q37/V30
570 Q37/V27
560 Q34/V30

The above CATs are all Kaplan.
Score breakdowns   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2005, 10:46

580-630

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap