Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

600 to 640

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

600 to 640 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2004, 21:37
I took the test today and scored a 640 (Q46, V31). I'm really bummed, cause I already submitted my apps to Chicago and USC. However, I can provide you some incentive - I only studied for 4 days, because I was consumed with apps due back to back.

Here's how my test went.
Quant-Compared to my first test, this test was freaking hard. I got 4 (not so straight forward) probablity questions, 3 rate problems that were hard, and a bunch of DS tricky inequality problems. I was surprised, because the last test had more of a variety of questions. I scored the exact same as the first test, but i had to really work for it this time. The questions were harder than the PP.

Verbal-4RC passages and one was really, really long. SC most were obvious, but some weren't. CR started off really easy, but then got really complicated towards the end.. where you have to choose between two really close answers.

I was hoping for a miracle, but I didn't get it. I'll let you know how important the GMAT really is in 10 weeks when I hear from my schools.

Good luck everyone, Thanks, Anh
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2004, 22:24
Good Luck. If the app is powerful then GMAT of 640 is OK
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2004, 22:25
Congratulation and good luck with your applications Gmatanh

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

Thanks! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2004, 00:12
Thanks for your encouraging words. Unfortunately, I have an awful GPA. But I worked really hard on my app. Being Asian doesn't help, but being a woman might. If anyone needs help with your essays, please feel free to contact me. I worked with a counselor and his advice was really insightful. I approached my essays much differently than my friends did. For example, for my leadership essay I didn't focus on project work (I'm a project manager), I focused on my personal achievements, which sets my essays apart from the million career-focused essays that he read when he worked for adcomm. Unless your background is perfect, take the time to see if there is a more creative way to apporach the essays.

Now, that I have had a few minutes to calm down.. here are my thoughts on my test.

The only thing that I worked on was timing. For the first test, I was really stressed and I completed the Verbal section with 10 minutes left. In the days before my practice test, I forced myself to use the entire 75 minutes. It's hard to have a set schedule (timing targets), because timing really depends on where you get the RC passages. Try to get a flow and you will be set. PR is too easy compared to the actual test, specially for Verbal. (I score 680-700) If you are planning to score above a 600, I recommend using Kaplan. It's tough, the passages are long, and it will force you decide when a question is too hard and to move on. LSAT helped me significantly in CR and RC. Remember, I only had four days to prepare so I strongly believe that a focused run through of LSAT will improve your score if you were in the low range like me. If you use the PR, try to use the online tests not the CD. I believe the online tests are a bit more challenging than the CD.

Quant-In the actual test, you will be dedicating some time to checking your answers. Remember to do the same when you are taking the practice test. I had to rush through the last few questions. The questions try to mess with your head. I scored a 46, but at question #20, I got basically what's 2+2 question type. Don't freak out. I believe that the questions in the middle are much easier than the beginning. Know how to calculate the standard deviation, know your geometry triangle angles, and know how to calculate standard probability and combinations.

Test Day: If you bring a sweater make sure that it is a zip up jacket. If it's a sweatshirt, you won't be able to take it off during the test until the break. The breaks are flexible, I took over 10 minute breaks after the test. Yes, you do have time to do a braindump and prepare your scratch paper. The second time I took at night 4:45, and the center was much more quiet than an afternoon time. Bring some earplugs. Even though they provide you headphones, it gets uncomfortable after an hour. Before you take the test, get situated. I placed my keyboard on top of my monitor, and that gave me space to work on my scratch paper for math.

Good luck... if you have any questions for the test, please let me know. I'll be online for a few more days before going to my next app!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2004, 03:18
Congrats and thanks for the feedback.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2004, 07:59
Hey gmatanh that is a pretty impressive score for studying only 4 days while doing your apps too. That's what I got my 1st time studying almost 2 month. I was wondering did you do the optional essay for SC? I read the admins prefer you dont do it unless you really have something extraordinary to say.

Good luck with the apps.
Intern
Intern

USC [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2004, 16:29
Yes, I did write an optional essay for SC. Only write one if you have something you need to say that is not covered in the other essays, such an explanation of your undergraduate grads. For optional essays, you must be direct and to the point. Do not write creatively (like wrapping the ending back to the beginning).

Did you do the leadership essay?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2004, 17:14
I havent done any of the essays, yeah I know...i'm cutting it close. I'm probably going to do the leadership one since I cant think of anything for the other two topics. Is that the one you did?
Intern
Intern

USC [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2004, 23:19
I did the leadership essay and the community service essay. I couldn't do the cross cultural one because I'm asian and I wasn't trying to emphasize that fact. Slots for asians are competitive in Cali.

Shoot me an email at my personal email address if you have any questions. Like if you would like a second opinion on your optional essay. I worked with an adcomm officer, so I have a slight insider view of the admissions process. I'm working with a 640 and a 2.5 GPA... so it's really tough for me.. but I will be glad to share my experiences with you. ahuynh01@aol.com
Intern
Intern

An Update!! [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2004, 08:27
I wanted to write to give hope! I applied with a 600, retook the test and got a 640. Guess what? I honestly believe that your essays are extremely critical. I'm in! I have been accepted to Georgetown and have been W/L with an interview invitation to Chicago. Manage your time and be thankful that you have an opportunity to showcase your qualities in your essays.

Good luck and congrats to everyone who will be attending B School this fall!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2004, 09:00
Manyfold congratulation Gmatanh :banana Your a living example that GMAT is not all!

Best Regards,

Paul

CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 658 [0], given: 781

Re: An Update!! [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2004, 09:24
gmatanh wrote:
I wanted to write to give hope! I applied with a 600, retook the test and got a 640. Guess what? I honestly believe that your essays are extremely critical. I'm in! I have been accepted to Georgetown and have been W/L with an interview invitation to Chicago. Manage your time and be thankful that you have an opportunity to showcase your qualities in your essays.

Good luck and congrats to everyone who will be attending B School this fall!

Congratulations!

Do offer your advice to other fellow members on this forum. they would really appreciate your help

regards
praetorian
Intern
Intern

An Update [#permalink] New post 17 May 2004, 21:21
Hi Everyone!

Just to give everyone an update... I got accepted to Chicago GSB after my interview. Good luck with the application process.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

Thanks.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7635 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: An Update [#permalink] New post 18 May 2004, 00:49
Expert's post
gmatanh wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Just to give everyone an update... I got accepted to Chicago GSB after my interview. Good luck with the application process.

Thanks.

You are the man!

:war

Thank you for your involvement on the site. It will be a pity see you leave :cry:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 658 [0], given: 781

Re: An Update [#permalink] New post 18 May 2004, 01:31
gmatanh wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Thanks.

Congratulations. :)

If you would like to write your admissions experiences for the benefit of the members, please do. we will publish it on our website . Also, we are recently started offering free typepad blogs to our members. if you would like one, please let us know.
Intern
Intern

getting into g-town [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 07:46
How difficult do you think it is to get into Georgetown? I am applying second round (everything is in except my gmats which I am taking Sat March 5). I'm a female, went undergrad to Cornell and graduated with a 3.5, have spent 2 years working in Finance in NYC for a top 5 firm. I'm worried because I am scoring mid to high 500s on my practice kaplan gmat tests. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 09:30
you'll be fine Kaplan Gmat is about 80-100 points lower than the average gmat score. the bottom of the 80% range at Gtown is 620.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 10:56
Do you think a 600 or higher would give me a good shot at getting in?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

georgetown [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 11:30
1st off I think you'll score higher than 600 on the test. Secondly, even with a 600 I think you'd stand a good shot. you have a very good gpa from a top undergrad school and the blue chip name from your company on your resume. its all about the delivery, stats arent everything. are you going to apply r3 or apply in 2006?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 11:36
I'm applying R2. I have everything submitted except my gmats (taking them this Sat morning 3/5). I have recommendations from an executive director as well as my current manager from my firm, a pretty strong resume (passed the cfa level I in Dec '04), and a decent gpa/undergrad school....just worrying that a lot of weight is placed on the gmat. Thanks for your input. I'm stressing because the test is 5 days away!!
  [#permalink] 28 Feb 2005, 11:36