Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 16:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

610... AGAIN!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

610... AGAIN!! [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2004, 13:08
I have to say I am really starting to feel helpless! I just took the exam for the fourth time and got the same score that I got last Dec. Granted this time I studied for about a month. This is the fourth time I've taken it.

1: 630
2: 600
3: 610
4: 610

I know most of you might say I won't do any better but I am sure I could. I only want to do this one more time. Oddly enough, my highest score was before a prep course and a month of self-prep. Now, I feel like each test was harder than the one right before. I don't know if my prep materials are not doing it for me but I could sure use some suggestions as to other sources to work with. I currently have:

Kaplan GMAT 800
PR Course materials
Official Guide
Kaplan CAT CD ROM

This time around I could handle the math problem solving, but the data sufficiency killed me!! I was doing fine with the Verbal in the GMAT 800, and I thought I did much better than my score.

Any suggestions are welcome!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Suggestion [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2004, 06:11
The materials you've used are okay, but if you want to get your score in the high 600's or low 700's, try GMAT Advantage or Ace the GMAT.

You can buy them from Amazon. I have both of these books and I think they are great.

I think if you have the energy for a 5th test why not try.

Good Luck

wiseguy
Intern
Intern

thanks for the suggestion [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2004, 14:31
I am pretty desperate. I know I have to change my prep strategy. My first three attempts were not the most sensible. I went into the first test confident that I knew everything about math. Well, what a surprise when I got my score. So I took a review course. I went in the second test thinking "well with what I picked up, I should improve at least 50 points. That is what they practically guarantee." Well, again, the surprise came in that I wasted so much time applying strategies to every question. So the third time was out of pure desperation because I wanted to get my apps in. Well, after the third time, I decided not to apply to school and wait a year. This time I studied about six weeks, but I was just trying to get exposed to every question. So when the test came and they asked questions in ways I never saw before, I freaked out. I remember getting to problem 1 and expecting algebra with fractions. That didn't happen. Then there was data sufficiency right away. The problems started really hard, then all of sudden, really easy. I knew that wasn't a good sign. Unfortunately with verbal, there really is no way of knowing how you're doing. More than one answer can seem correct with RC and CR. SC is really a strong point for me.

I did order the two books you suggested and I am starting a new plan. I am keeping an error log and going to try to finish all of the OG PS and RC questions in the next ten days. And then jump into the new material.

I am planning to try again in early Sept so hopefully the next six weeks will be enough prep.

I am always open to any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2004, 15:03
Why don't you have a look at Kaplan Math workout. I have seen good reviews for the book. I have it with me ,but haven't used it yet.

If you want to see the review , goto the review section of this site.

ash

CEO
CEO
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2004, 19:34
Hi,

What was your breakdown for each test?
How have you been performing on practice tests?
How did you do on your college entrance exams?

Hjort
Intern
Intern

680! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 06:05
On my 7th attempt, I scored a 680 (47 Q, 37V). I was psyched and encouraged until I was rejected from my top choice, waitlisted at my #2 and have an interview pending at #3. It made me so pessimistic that i don't think I'll get in, and I'll have to reapply. In any event, as much as I don't want to take this freaking test for an 8th time, I want to maximize my chaces of getting in next year. My last three attempts at the GMAT had pretty consistent Q scores 47, 45, 47, but my verbal finally went from 32 to 37. If I can get it to 40, I will finally hit that 700+. Can anyone suggest materials to help me get that 40+ V score? Also, I need data sufficiency help. Problem solving seems to be no problem for me.

Thanks everyone
CEO
CEO
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 07:24
What schools are you considering? How does the rest of your application look?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 07:33
I am looking at 5 top 15 schools
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 07:45
I guess the rest of my app was ok. I didn't have a stellar GPA but I was in an engineering program. My app got me an interview with a top 5 school (and a subsequent waitlist), so I think it must be ok.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suggestion [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 08:39
wiseguy wrote:
The materials you've used are okay, but if you want to get your score in the high 600's or low 700's, try GMAT Advantage or Ace the GMAT.

You can buy them from Amazon. I have both of these books and I think they are great.

I think if you have the energy for a 5th test why not try.

Good Luck

wiseguy

This is the first time I hear about these titles!

Could you share in what ways these books are different from Kaplan's and PR's books and CDs?
Re: Suggestion   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2005, 08:39