Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 [Q 50, V 29]

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

660 [Q 50, V 29] [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 07:58
I just appeared my first attempt at GMAT and scored 660 [Q 50 and V 29]. I know completely screwed up the verbal section. However I am not keen on re-applying unless really needed.

Here is my profile:
Work experience: 6 yrs work experience in software testing in 3 different companies in Bangalore
Sex: F
Academic performance: 10th: 90%, 12th: 81%, degree: 71%
I want to get into IT management/finance

Do you think I have a chance of getting into ISB? I can not afford going abroad for my MBA, so I am looking for something inside India. So I am not selected for ISB, is there anything else I can look at?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 660 [Q 50, V 29] [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 14:28
LSahu wrote:
I just appeared my first attempt at GMAT and scored 660 [Q 50 and V 29]. I know completely screwed up the verbal section. However I am not keen on re-applying unless really needed.

Here is my profile:
Work experience: 6 yrs work experience in software testing in 3 different companies in Bangalore
Sex: F
Academic performance: 10th: 90%, 12th: 81%, degree: 71%
I want to get into IT management/finance

Do you think I have a chance of getting into ISB? I can not afford going abroad for my MBA, so I am looking for something inside India. So I am not selected for ISB, is there anything else I can look at?

Hello,

You may not like what i am not going to say now - I would suggest you that take a break of 15 days and rethink about retaking the test, there are so many students who get tired of GMAT and do not think of retaking, but believe me a break of 10-15 days might change your perspective.

Given your profile, ISB is a bit stretch for you. ISB has almost 80-85% Indian students, the school has an average of 700+.

Am not sure about your graduate degree (assuming you are an engineer, because most of the profiles i get with software experience have engineering background), so if you are engineer, you will have tougher time with ISB.

With reference to other options, I would suggest you to look at the one year full time programs of IIMs (except IIM A - this could be a stretch, not only in GMAT but also in terms of work Ex), these programs are good ROI.

Hope this helps, feel free to get back for any help

Good Luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Intern
Intern

Re: 660 [Q 50, V 29] [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 01:53
Thank you very much for the reply, it really helped.
I am thinking of retaking the test soon, because I am sure I can do better.

In the mean time is there any way you think I can make my profile look stronger? anything I need to add to or subtract from my existing profile?

Re: 660 [Q 50, V 29] [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 03:44
LSahu wrote:
Thank you very much for the reply, it really helped.
I am thinking of retaking the test soon, because I am sure I can do better.

In the mean time is there any way you think I can make my profile look stronger? anything I need to add to or subtract from my existing profile?

Hello,

I will be happy to help, but the details given by you do not help me understand what you actually are

Please share

Your ECs
Your short term and long term goal (not just area of specialization or career)
Your leadership experience, if any
How do you rate your performance in undergrads etc

Is it just the money/investment that is stopping you from going abroad for MBA (You may ignore this Q, if you want)

Thanks

Intern
Intern

Re: 660 [Q 50, V 29] [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 10:28
My bad, I have provided too little info on this post. Please find more details below:

College details:
Name: University college of engineering, burla, Orissa (autonomous)
Percentage: 71%
Major: Electrical Engineering (year 2005)

Work experience:
-6 yrs work experience in software testing in 3 different companies in Bangalore.
-All the 3 companies being fortune 500 companies. I have experience of working in both service industry and product industry.
-Had lead a small team of 4 members.
-Being into testing, I have a high exposure to working with various kinds of people in all my projects.
-Have won numerous awards for my performance during this tenure.

I have never had any break during my study or work.

Extra Curricular Activities:
-Was good at sport during school.
-During school have won a number of awards for essay writing, general knowledge and science quizzes.
-During engineering I won the college chess championship.
-Was a part of Teach India champagne, which was aimed at educating poor children, for few months.
-Never got a chance to participate in any other social activities due to busy schedules.

Goals:
I want to get into IT management.
(I also like finance, however I am not sure if this is the time to change career as I already have more than 6yrs of experience in IT)

I want to avoid going abroad, because I am married and want to stay in the country. Do you think that I stand a better chance abroad?
If it is so I can think of some way to make it work.

Please let me know in case you want any more details.

Re: 660 [Q 50, V 29] [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 01:13
LSahu wrote:
My bad, I have provided too little info on this post. Please find more details below:

College details:
Name: University college of engineering, burla, Orissa (autonomous)
Percentage: 71%
Major: Electrical Engineering (year 2005)

Check/mention if you were among top 10% of the students, if you were - highlight it, else no need to mention anything.

LSahu wrote:

Work experience:

-6 yrs work experience in software testing in 3 different companies in Bangalore --

(highlight your learning that you have gained while working with three different companies, show progression A--->B---> C etc)

-All the 3 companies being fortune 500 companies. I have experience of working in both service industry and product industry.

(highlight multitasking and analytical skills that you have developed with this point of experience)

-Had lead a small team of 4 members. (Talk more about leadership and not on the no of people led)

-Being into testing, I have a high exposure to working with various kinds of people in all my projects.

-Have won numerous awards for my performance during this tenure. (List all rewards and show how your have developed as an individual)

Overall, on work ex side, I do not think that you have much to do (except taking some more leadership assignments) , but ensure that you highlight.

Extra Curricular Activities:
-Was good at sport during school ---

will not add a GREAT value though highlight it to have learned a few personal qualities e.g. concentration, perseverance etc

-During school have won a number of awards for essay writing, general knowledge and science quizzes.

(school times do not add a lot of value)

-During engineering I won the college chess championship.

( Individual role - good, but probably everyone plays one or another game during college, how are you different ? so may not add a lot of value.

-Was a part of Teach India champagne, which was aimed at educating poor children, for few months

( Now this is what they will be looking for - talk more about this on your app - talk about leadership that you would have demonstrated, i would suggest that restart your involvement for sometime if its possible.)

-Never got a chance to participate in any other social activities due to busy schedules.

No excuse please, such excuses dont communicate right approach.

Goals:
I want to get into IT management ====== toooo broad -- what into IT management role ? strategy/operations/products ???
(I also like finance, however I am not sure if this is the time to change career as I already have more than 6yrs of experience in IT)

Your goals are short term (till five years from the date of graduation ) and long term ( ten years from the date of graduation )

LSahu wrote:
I want to avoid going abroad, because I am married and want to stay in the country. Do you think that I stand a better chance abroad?
If it is so I can think of some way to make it work.

See, going abroad depends on whether you wish tho come back to India or you might want to settle abroad, if you think you anyhow wanna come back to India, there is no need to go for International schools (local IIMs, ISB and XLRI) could be a good fit.

Intern
Intern

Re: 660 [Q 50, V 29] [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 02:59
Thanks you very much for taking time and evaluating my profile. It was very useful. Now I know where I stand and how I can improve my profile.

Cheers :)

Re: 660 [Q 50, V 29] [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 17:27
all the best, feel free to come back to us for any help

Re: 660 [Q 50, V 29]   [#permalink] 16 May 2012, 17:27