Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

680 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 21:39
Q42(67%), V41(93%) My last AWA was a 6 and I am assuming that it is the same here.

I posted about my previous GMAT score a few years ago, but that seems like decades ago. I suppose I should be happy with this score, having studied for a solid three months and leaving the test center completely exhausted (in a good way).

In contrast to most of the posted scores on any GMAT website, this is not a rags to riches 400 --> 750 story, but this 680 is a realistic score that is result of a lot of hard work, more on the quant side than anything else. I think I might have maxed out my GMAT potential on this test. It is frustrating to have such a low quantscore, as I am also a high school math teacher, but GMAT quant is not math, it is IQ work. It sucks, but that is the way it is.

I think the most important thing in the quant section is the rule that you average 2 minutes per question and ONLY deviate if you need another minute or two to get an answer you are sure of. Otherwise, practice, hope for questions that are doable, and maintain a furious pace to make sure you finish.

MY previous exam, I recieved a 610 because I did not get to do 7 or 8 questions in the quant section. This exam, got trough the section and saw some HARD questions. Clearly, I did not get the hardest questions correct, but I saw them, and they are brutal. If you can get those, you will be in the80% and up math range.

The verbal side just didnt seem that rough to me. I could have scored higher, but I am sure I saw some of the toughest CR question out there, and some good SC and RC questions as well. After using the OG and really thinking about solutions and why I was getting answers right or wrong, these problems just did not seem that confusing. Go figure.
I thought I would do better on the quant and worse on the verbal, but hey, it is what it is.

As for studying - I did take the Veritas Prep class, which was great, and used the OG like the bible. I like to think of the last 50 quant questions in PS and DS as the New Testament. I did use the Kaplan 800 book for quant, but found that easy after all of the Veritas material and the tough OG problems. I did use some problem sets my instructor gave me from this site.

Hope this helps. To everyone taking the GMAT - It is a test of IQ, not of skill. I can come up with some math questions that very few people can solve, but because they require knowledge, not problem solving. Once I got over this fact, and realized I was not an elite problem solver and never was, I was able to tackle the test with a more realistic frame of mind. Hopefully, I can use this score to compile a competitive application to some of the top 20 schools (right?)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 23:15
A really nice score. Congratulations!

I would like to see that score on my test day.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 13:10
Good analysis of the exam. I agree with you that quant has little to do with "real" math and is more if an IQ test type exam. It's interesting that a high school math teacher thinks this, because don't they say that the GMAT tests high-school level math?

Anyhow, I believe you are correct that 680 should be competitive for schools in the 15-20 range. That's pretty much right in line with their average scores for admitted students. It might even been enough for higher ranked schools, but you will be facing an uphill battle and will need to be exceptional in other areas.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 680 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 13:57
SamSOHK wrote:

but GMAT quant is not math

Ain't that the truth. DS isn't about math skills, but rather recognizing the situation skills.

Congratulations on a fantastic score. I believe 680 is the true 7xx. Does that make sense?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 17:38
way to go you ROCK!!!!
  [#permalink] 28 Nov 2006, 17:38