Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Set S contains more than one element. Is the range S bigger [#permalink]
sreehari wrote:
D

A - Range is always positive. Since all elements are negative, mean will be negative and will always be lessthan range
B - Two scenarios - all elements are negative in which case range is always greaterthan mean. if half the elements are negative, mean will be either negative or lessthan the highest number which will be lessthan range again.

does the question say "all elements of S are -ve"?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT TIGER wrote:
any comment on walker's approach?

sreehari wrote:
D

A - Range is always positive. Since all elements are negative, mean will be negative and will always be lessthan range
B - Two scenarios - all elements are negative in which case range is always greaterthan mean. if half the elements are negative, mean will be either negative or lessthan the highest number which will be lessthan range again.

My understanding is, by definition set contains unique elements. And the questons said S has morethan one element. So for A, S must have contain negative number.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
walker wrote:
sreehari wrote:
My understanding is, by definition set contains unique elements. And the questons said S has morethan one element. So for A, S must have contain negative number.

I don't think so.

Actually I checked Wikipedia when I ran into such situation before. Here is a copy and paste...

Unlike a multiset, every element of a set must be unique; no two members may be identical.

Now it's getting interesting... what is OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q51  V39
Send PM
I'd say D too
I don't think {0,0} can be considered as set with 2 elements
so in 1) the set must contain negative element(s)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
It is stange... in OG11th p.155 in Math Review the authors use a few times "set" to refer to lists of numbers with repetitions...
I prefer OG
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
I found this: 7-t24270
I understand that set has to be contain different numbers according to the Set Theory. But I'm not sure what exactly GMAT think about that. And how we can explain "free" use of "set" in OG.....

Tiger, What is source of the question?
VP
VP
Send PM
sreehari wrote:
walker wrote:
sreehari wrote:

I don't think so.

Actually I checked Wikipedia when I ran into such situation before. Here is a copy and paste...
Unlike a multiset, every element of a set must be unique; no two members may be identical.
Now it's getting interesting... what is OA?

wikipidia says {6, 11} is same as {11, 6} or as {6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 11, 11}.

but do they ave same mean, range or median?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
more info: OG11 PS#65 a list = a list of numbers with repetitions
OG11 PS#212 a data set = a list of numbers with repetitions

I confused :? Any thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Send PM
walker wrote:

"data set" can indeed contain repetitions....but "set of numbers" never contain repetitions. as noted before, as sets all of the following are equal: {6,11} {6,6,11} {11,6} {11,6,11,6,6,6,11}

the answer is D, and actually walker's brilliant and correct proof of why (2) is sufficient, works for (1) as well. I'll just repeat it in more general terms:

let X be the maximal number in S. if X<0 then the mean is -ve and range is always +ve.
if X>0 and if there is a -ve number in S, then range is bigger than X, but mean is always less than X
both(1) and (2) in the question independently tells us that there is at least 1 negative element in S, and hence sufficient.
VP
VP
Send PM
hobbit wrote:
walker wrote:

"data set" can indeed contain repetitions....but "set of numbers" never contain repetitions. as noted before, as sets all of the following are equal: {6,11} {6,6,11} {11,6} {11,6,11,6,6,6,11}

the answer is D, and actually walker's brilliant and correct proof of why (2) is sufficient, works for (1) as well. I'll just repeat it in more general terms:

let X be the maximal number in S. if X<0 then the mean is -ve and range is always +ve.
if X>0 and if there is a -ve number in S, then range is bigger than X, but mean is always less than X
both(1) and (2) in the question independently tells us that there is at least 1 negative element in S, and hence sufficient.

hobbit has a very good point and walker has some OG examples. I also believe we should follow what OG says but here one doubt I have.

Does the current gmat vender (Pearson VUE) follow OG rules? Since OG is not a product of Pearson VUE, how strictly it follows OG rules while crafting the real Gmat questions?

OA: I have B and D, both, in my note.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I haven't opened my OG yet, so can't comment on what's in there. But obviously if OG says duplication is allowed, that's what we should do in GMAT :)

Being from engineering background, I always considered set by definition as limited set of distinct objects, with an exception of list of numbers specifically listed in the problem (e.g {1,2,2,3,4}) in which case they are technically called multiset.

Another example is something like a set defined by {x|1<=x<=10, x is even} - the correct way of interpreting this is to list down all even integers lessthan 10 {2,4,6,8,10}. It should not be assumed that it's an infinite list of elements.

With that being said, I haven't seen any GMAT match question yet that refered a set as multiset, so probably it's not in GMAT's dictionary. So trust OG and move forward.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts