Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

should i retake?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

700 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2004, 08:08
hi,
i would appreciate your help.
I am an English medical doctor currently working in a start up (Previous experience with WHO and health-care consultancy).
I attended a top British university (Imperial College) and qualified in medicine and surgery - with honours. In addition, I have an undergrad business management degree from Tanaka business school, Imperial college.
I want to enter the VC industry and had hoped to apply to Stanford or Harvard.
I got a 700 today (quant 44. Verbal 42)
Really messed up the math section and panicked.
Is retaking an option i have to consider or will my diversity carry me through?

thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2004, 08:14
sorry forgot to add percentiles.
math - 73
Verbal - 96
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2004, 13:41
For HBS, your GMAT will not keep you out. I know Stanford is very very picky about the GMAT Score. Everyone i know/have talked to about Stanford say that you should have a 720+ score. I guess the real answer is "it depends...."

Your driving criteria should be "well how much time do i have" & "how much more can i improve on my GMAT". If you feel like ure very close to your "max potential" then dont take the GMAT. However if during your practice test you've been scoring 730+ then you should re-take. Just make sure whatever you do, dont "steal time" away from writing good stories/applications.

i know we all get hung up on the GMAT Score (because its the only "objective" way to compare people). Whatever you do dont try improving your score at the "cost of writing essays"......

regards
gmataquaguy

p.s: I scored a 650 [M-49/90 & V-29/57], so take my advice with lot of salt.......
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2004, 14:40
Could you elaborate on the diversity aspect?

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2004, 13:27
Hjort,
Sorry should have elaborated further.
My subjective perception of diversity is probably wrong. Please correct me but I thought that a candidate coming from a non-typical background would be evaluated differently to an individual coming from banking or consultancy.
I qualified as a doctor in England but was heavily involved within international health development – experience with the World Health Organization and also conducted field research (lived in an indigenous Indian reservation in South America). I also undertook policy reform research in Chile.
After completing my intern year, I started working for a biotech start-up as an analyst. Probably very typical! I now want to enter the VC industry - even more typical
I have very good undergrad marks (we don't do GPA in the UK) but I qualified in medicine with honours (top 5%)
I just feel that the GMAT score might sour my application package but don't know who to ask for advice. I went to the Harvard and Stanford open days in London. Both stressed that the GMAT was not the most important part of the application. But, I am sure that they want as many people as possible to apply??
Thanks
Mohit
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2004, 19:06
Thanks for the additional info. Educational background, nationality, and career are certainly aspects of diversity. I was a bit concerned because although training in medicine is less common than the seemingly everpresent degrees, there a number of persons interested in medicine who are also considering attending business school. For instance, a number of elite schools have MD/MBA programs including Yale and Cornell.

I think that the experiences with the WHO and in South America could make for interesting essays that would differentiate you from other candidates.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2004, 20:55
Expert's post
mk897 wrote:
hi,
i would appreciate your help.
I am an English medical doctor currently working in a start up (Previous experience with WHO and health-care consultancy).
I attended a top British university (Imperial College) and qualified in medicine and surgery - with honours. In addition, I have an undergrad business management degree from Tanaka business school, Imperial college.
I want to enter the VC industry and had hoped to apply to Stanford or Harvard.
I got a 700 today (quant 44. Verbal 42)
Really messed up the math section and panicked.
Is retaking an option i have to consider or will my diversity carry me through?

thanks

Really the question is your quant score so low that it will keep you out?

Do you have other evidence of quant skills? (How were your grades in undergrad business school?) If you have that evidence, I doubt if the quant score alone will keep you out, considering your excellent academic record in medical school, competitive overall score, and excellent work experience.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog