Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

700 GMAT but low quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

700 GMAT but low quant [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 09:01
Hey all,

After looking around these forums and other places, I've noticed that most people have the opposite problem. I took the GMAT twice (650 and then 700) and my score improved from Q: 44 V: 37 to Q: 43 V: 42. Unfortunately, my quant dropped from a pretty bad 69% to 67%. However, I majored in Econ from a top 20 private university and took calculus, corporate finance, accounting, etc. (B or B- average in them, but worse in my major...I was never meant to be an economist) so I'm hoping that helps to alleviate some fears about my quant ability. Now, my biggest question is, do I have a shot getting into school with my quant the way it is? I'm shooting for Duke, Columbia, Yale, Ross, Darden, Vanderbilt, UNC, and UT Austin.

The only school I found so far that shows the middle 80% of broken down GMAT scores is Yale and my quant is within that 80% (to my knowledge, that's a good thing).

I reallllllly don't want to take the GMAT again. Frankly, I do not standardized test well and I'm afraid that I'll actually do worse if I decide to try again.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Re: 700 GMAT but low quant [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 15:35
Academics (including your GPA, GMAT and quant ability) are just one factor of your application. There's plenty of opportunity to compensate for this using your essays, work ex, recos, extracurriculars, etc. Also, your post-MBA goals may also play a role. If you want to do something quant focused (e.g. investment banking or trading) then you may be at a slight disadvantage. For a marketing career for example it's a different story.

Short note on quants:
http://www.skoolix.com/MBA-Admission-Re ... roficiency

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Current Student
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 37

Re: 700 GMAT but low quant [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 03:45
I didn't think anyone would ever reply to this thread.

Thanks for the advice. I really need to focus on my story and leadership qualities, I believe.
Re: 700 GMAT but low quant   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2010, 03:45