Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

740 - i've done that!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [4] , given: 2

740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
740!!!

I do not deserve it! I don't, I don't, I don't.
I am sure they will send me a note saying that there there was a bug in the software that made my score 200 points up from what it had to be. That's when I will seriously consider suicide :)

The long story:

I'm an Eastern European male, 29, software engineering background. I have never been really smart at anything related to math. Have been a lot better in verbal though.
I have been studying for 3 month + ~10 days. Almost every day, 2-3 hours. On week-ends around 3-8 hours. I did some of it during my business trips - which was twice as hard. Sometimes - after a few beers.. Can you imagine how obsessed I was? :)

I used:

• OG10 and OG12. These are the essential. I did them, then did the error log a couple of times. Redoing a log helped me a lot (and really was the most boring thing).
  • GMAT Prep - did that a couple of times each of the two tests.
  • Kaplan 800. Don't remember, was too long ago. I'd skip it.
  • Kaplan 2009. Good but verbal is too easy.
  • Princeton. 2005 edition or something like that. Too easy!
  • OG Quant Review. These were too easy and also had a lot of the Qs from OG10! Do them only if you're a beginner.

Overall exam experience:
I hoped to get the same or very very similar Qs to OG. The reason is that my memory works much better than my "smart" part of the brain:)
As a result, there was only ONE similar to GMAT Prep. All the others - I had to come up with a solution (as opposed to kind of looking for a matching solution that I keep in my memory).
I'm sure I did A LOT of them wrong. Did one absolute guess in Quant. Did 4-5 guesses in Verbal, since I ended up with 1 minute and 3 Qs unsolved :)
The Qs - both Verbal and Quant were unexpectedly hard. I did not expect that and was absolutely sure I'm below 700, if not below 600. I was "clicking through" by the end of the exam never even hoping to get above 700.
I really really considered cancelling my score.

Still I tried really hard to solve most of the questions. I was not sure in 70% of them. Got depressed by the end of the exam.
And then ..... SEVEN HUNDRED FORTY! OMG :) I'M SO HAPPY I'M OVER IT!!!

This is what I scored on the mock tests:
  • May-XX: GMATPrep1 (first time) 700
  • May-29: GMATPrep1 (second time) 710 Q50 V35
  • May-30: GMATPrep2 (first time) 690 Q49 V34
  • Jun-2: GMATPrep2 (second time) 730 with a couple of questions answered incorrectly on purpose

How good I was before the test:

• Quant: Generally I did around 80% accuracy on OG12. And around 95% accuracy on simpler stuff such as Verbal review.
  • Verbal: Around 70-75% accuracy on OG12.
  • It was not always stable though, every now and then I found some questions on the net and did them with like 55% accuracy.

P.S.
Some of the people here advise to get yourself to LOVE GMAT, I will never understand that :)

P.P.S.
I guess the best strategy is to train a lot, and then have a good attitude on the test.
Think of each question as you most important one but keeping in mind 2 mins and never get stuck.

Good Luck! And thanks for you support on this forum, it helped me a great deal.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 15:31
congrats
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 06:17
Hey,

Congrats, :)

You give me hope.. I have my gmat on the 10th of June. My GmatPrep scores have been more or less similar to your scores. :)

Regards,

Manish
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 7

Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2010, 12:16
Congratulations.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 10:17
Hi,

Congrats on scoring 740 ! Your study plan looks simple enough for me to follow. In fact, I find it very motivating that repeated re-dos of the OGs can get you this far. A couple of questions which I hope you can de-mystify:-

(a) On the average, what is your sensing on the number of questions that you got correct in the verbal and the quant section respectively?

I've tried GMAT questions on paper and I get about 30 - 35 correct out of 41 questions for verbal and 28-30 questions correct out of 37 for quant. Any idea what does that equates to like percentile and final GMAT score? So far, I have not tried the GMAT prep test yet. I think it is still too early and rather not waste it now.

(b) I have also to do GMAT questions on paper using a pacer. The average time I kept on a question is about 1:45 min. But it it not work very well because there are some questions which came up much earlier and were very time consuming. Do you often find that you do not have time for the last 5 questions? Am I too slow?

Thks !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 10:18
Awesome, keep it up.

Please post your strategies on Verbal when you find time.

Also did you taken any mind boosting drinks on the test day lol, i am not the health inspector.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

CIO
CIO
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 631 [0], given: 334

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 02:40
Congratulations on the great score!

Good luck with your Applications!

Welcome to GMAT Club! :)
Facebook TwitterGoogle+LinkedIn
Want to solve GMAT questions on the go? GMAT Club iPhone app will help.
Please read this before posting in GMAT Club Tests forum
Result correlation between real GMAT and GMAT Club Tests
Are GMAT Club Test sets ordered in any way?

Take 15 free tests with questions from GMAT Club, Knewton, Manhattan GMAT, and Veritas.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 2

Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 00:28
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
(a) On the average, what is your sensing on the number of questions that you got correct in the verbal and the quant section respectively?

I've tried GMAT questions on paper and I get about 30 - 35 correct out of 41 questions for verbal and 28-30 questions correct out of 37 for quant. Any idea what does that equates to like percentile and final GMAT score? So far, I have not tried the GMAT prep test yet. I think it is still too early and rather not waste it now.

If you ask me, I'd say 60% was what I scored. However this obviously is not true :)

If I were you, I wouldn't look at the paper GMATs when you gained some level. I would better look at Manhattan GMAT mock tests and GMATPrep. I heard a lot about paper tests being too easy.

(b) I have also to do GMAT questions on paper using a pacer. The average time I kept on a question is about 1:45 min. But it it not work very well because there are some questions which came up much earlier and were very time consuming. Do you often find that you do not have time for the last 5 questions? Am I too slow?

Somehow when I did on paper I was much better than I did computer tests. I was barely getting everything on time on computer. I'd suggest to do a lot of paper stuff but also devote some sizable time for computer-based tests.

I just did some OG10 and OG12, plus Manhattan SC guide (this one is very good).
BTW OG10 SC seemed to easy to me. On the actual exam I could split like 2/3 or 3/2, but rarely knew the exact right one, so guessed in between the two or three.
Again, on the exam it seemed much harder than just OGs, more like Manhattan test.

Couple more general advices:
  • Do as much math and verbal as you can, with error log. Practice A LOT.
  • On the actual exam, don't get frustrated with your past answers, just keep doing your best until the end. You're likely to be doing much better than you think!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 05:38
Congrats on great score!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
What is your scaled score? Quant & verbal

What do you think about 1000 series questions, did u study with them? were they helpful?

My score is V39, Q50, 740 (97%), AWA: 4.0

As to 1000 series - sorry did not do them. OG10 + OG12 + Kaplan were more than enough for me :)
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 11:24
Expert's post
Nicely done, sir! And I definitely agree with you on math preparation: do as much as possible.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 16:31
Congrats !!! All the best in your life!!!

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 157

GMAT Tests User
Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 06:14
ligett wrote:
Quote:

I just did some OG10 and OG12, plus Manhattan SC guide (this one is very good).
BTW OG10 SC seemed to easy to me. On the actual exam I could split like 2/3 or 3/2, but rarely knew the exact right one, so guessed in between the two or three.
Again, on the exam it seemed much harder than just OGs, more like Manhattan test.

Thanks for the reply, i agree that Manhattan SC is great even though i am a non native en speaker, the guide helped me understand a lot of facts(sub+and+sub-plural so on) There are a lot of these facts though

Did you create any notes to remember all these verbal facts from Mgmay SC. Because as i move onto next chapters i tend to forget some facts from modifiers, verb,tense,mood. If i tend to forget a few as i move on, then i am afraid when i start working on Powerscore CR, then i might have to revise SC again.

Any advice?

Kudos.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 08:15
BlueRobin wrote:
ligett wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, i agree that Manhattan SC is great even though i am a non native en speaker, the guide helped me understand a lot of facts(sub+and+sub-plural so on) There are a lot of these facts though

Did you create any notes to remember all these verbal facts from Mgmay SC. Because as i move onto next chapters i tend to forget some facts from modifiers, verb,tense,mood. If i tend to forget a few as i move on, then i am afraid when i start working on Powerscore CR, then i might have to revise SC again.

I used the following a small program called Words Reminder, that did precisely that - reminded me of a random idiom once in 20 minutes :)
I also actually did all of the OG10 exercises that are listed in every chapter of Manhattan SC. Just reading does not help me much, I need to use the knowledge to remember it.
I read Manhattan SC twice, in the beginning and by the end of the study.

Something else on Quant:
I used Manhattan Flash cards, actually went through them just once. And I could solve 80-90% of those without using pen & paper.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 740 - i've done that! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 11:26
impressive! and mostly for a non-native :=) !
Re: 740 - i've done that!   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2010, 11:26