Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

770. q50 v47

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
770. q50 v47 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 18:27
Took the test today. Score is in the subject field.

My previous tests:
Kaplan1: 710
Kaplan2: 740
PP1: 710
PP2: 790
Paper tests:
14: 730
25: 750
31: 730
37: 790
48: 770
42: 780
52: 800
55: 800

I'm happy, and also a little disappointed. I feel like I had a shot (a very small shot, but a shot nonetheless) at 800.

The test:
Q: Two or three DS problems that were really tough, and one rate problem that took me (no exaggeration) ten minutes. The rate problem gave a comparison of the two rates of two machines not in a ratio, but as a constant with another constant. I won't reproduce the problem because I don't want my score to be invalidated, but it was a bitch. No backsolving was obvious, so I pissed away a lot of time. The really hard DS problem may or may not be posted under a pseudonym in a few weeks. So pay attention! Hardly any geometry to speak of, one C/P/stats problem, nothing difficult to speak of in the more "advanced" parts of the test outside of number theory.

V: Four RCs, 60-90 lines per. What a doozy! SC had a coupla goochers, CR was easy for me (as it always has been). The best practice for RC is old questions! Do them!

I recognized no fewer than five problems from the OG and this board.

So, my advice:
1. Do as many problems as possible!
2. I think we had a really good thing going in December here, there were always new posts, and always people to discuss them with. If voulme here stays down, you have only yourselves to blame.
3. Do as many problems as possible!
4. POE is powerful on SC. Find the differences and you can almost always narrow it down to two. Pick the one that is least cumbersome, as long as it doesn't set up any absurd comparisons.

Props to:
1. bb, even though we've never posted on the same thread (as far as I know), this board seriously owes you.
2. AkamaiBrah-- you can be abrasive, but you know quant cold, and you participate and challenge the board. I owe you more thamn I owe anyone else--20 points, at least.
3. Paul, praetorian, dj, titleist, chihao, pitts-- In December, the six of us did a lot of chatting. All of this helped immensely, especially some of the wrong answers that let me identify potential traps.
4. anandk-- you've turned it up as of late. I think you'll score really well.
5. mantha, sunniboy, and 50 others that I have neglected to mention-- turn it up a notch, participate more, and you will be indebted to one another as I am indebted to the people mentioned before you.
6. Whomever wrote all the tutorials here. I know them all, and they really helped.

I'll edit the thank you list as I lurk and remember other people.

My presence here will no doubt decrease, but I'll add my email to my profile one of these days so everyone can reach me.

I'll also edit this post a bit when I sober up.

Good luck, everyone.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 18:55
HU AAAAA

What a jumbo score? Congratulations on the scintillating performance. I want to talk to you. I was wondering if that is possible. Sttolfi its an envious score.

Bhai

Last edited by Bhai on 26 Jan 2004, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 18:58
Congratulations!!!! :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 19:18
:musband Stoolfi I was waiting for ur post, WOW gr88888888 score, CONGRATS
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: 770. q50 v47 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 19:24
Congrats Stoolfi.

good luck with your application
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 19:34
Good job stoolfi !!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't even need an application !!!!!!

I am really happy for you...it's so good to see one of us coming out with such success. What are your application plans ? Where do you intend to apply? (Is there a b-school on Mars for stoolfi ? :roll: )

Enjoy your success.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 21:06
Congrats Stoolfi, such a great score :woohoo

Good luck with your application.

Thanks
Sarnia

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 21:29
Congrat!

Great score !!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 21:37
GMAT 770! Awesome score, congrats. :banana
Best of luck with your application.
BTW, I am sending a private message to you Stoolfi, Please check it when you sober up.
Thanks
Higmat

Aiming for 700.

VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2004, 22:28
Great Score stoolfi! You did it!

This is the first time I have heard of anyone scoring 770! After having read some of your posts, I always felt you deserved a great score like this.

Good luck with your apps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2004, 04:22
Congrats Stoolfi, I am awed by your score. Your answers at critical reasoning really impressed me and your actual results really show it. All the best my friend.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2004, 05:25
Heartiest congratulations stoolfi. It is indeed a GREATTTT score.

Guys, as stoolfi has mentioned above, we indeed had great posts and discussions in December and looks like it has helped us all immensely. I seriously encourage you all to keep this forum alive and kicking.

Congrats again stoolfi. Your posts helped me a lot too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2004, 07:24
Great score stoolfi. All the best with your applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2004, 12:40
Jhambalala....thats an outstanding score...you deserve every bit of it.
All the best with your apps...and yea this forum needs geniuses like you.
So keep lurking.

Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2004, 07:13
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Bhai, and asandeep, I should have thanked you specifically since the two of you posted so many questions. I probably owe you a few points.

Another thought I had on quant-- there were two or three types of questions that I had never seen before, and they seemed to test a lot of number theory, set theory, and mean/median theory with unknowns. Remember, I scored a 50, not a 51, so I'm not sure I was seeing the "toughest" questions, but if I were taking the test in a month or two, I'd stay away from the really tough comb/perm practice questions, because (In my experience) it's not likely that they'll be tested. I'd instead focus on the more "exotic" questions-- ones that have pictures and diagrams attached to them, or require novel applications of basic rules-- rather than "What's the probability that a fair coin lands on heads exactly 32 of fifty flips."

And the one tough DS problem I alluded to in my last post? I still don't know how to solve it!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Amazing! [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2004, 16:24
Great job dude. A truly amazing score. You should be able to write your ticket anywhere with that.

Let me ask you - when you say "do as many problems as possible" what do you mean (other than the OG, obviously?) What sources did you use, and what were the best in helping prep you for quant?

If I can bump up my score even close to yours (I got a 650 the first time, with only a 60% in quant) I'll be ecstatic.

Congrats again.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2004, 18:14
Let me ask you - when you say "do as many problems as possible" what do you mean (other than the OG, obviously?) What sources did you use, and what were the best in helping prep you for quant?

I guess I meant to do as many ETS problems as possible (all paper tests, OG) and Kaplan (quant on Kaplan is IMO fairly representative). If I had another month before the exam, I would have delved into GMAT+, but with the notorious inaccurracy of their answer key, I'm not sure how helpful it would have been. Also, I can't tell you how valuable this board has been to me. In my first post in this thread, I remark how great it was to have six or seven very regular posters feeding one another for a couple of months. You'll do yourself and others a favor if you can foster a sense of community like we had just a month ago.

If I can bump up my score even close to yours (I got a 650 the first time, with only a 60% in quant) I'll be ecstatic.

What was your verbal split?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2004, 08:34
Not sure exactly....somewhere in your ballpark...in the 90th-ish percentile. Also nailed a 6.0 on the AWA.

Now, if only I can polish the quant. They seem to blast you with really hard questions on #2 and #3, as opposed to gradually working you up to the tough problems. At least that was my experience.

Here is how i'm going to attack the next time around (in April).

- 3 months of study
- Official Guide
- Paper tests
- Manhattan GMAT and PP CD tests (maybe Kaplan here, although I've done them the first time around)
- GMAT Plus - I have the material, but there are no explanations and the answer key seems to be wrong at times, like you said.

What else would you suggest? How much time per night/week?

Thanks again for your great feedback.
Manager
Manager

CONGRATULATIONS [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2004, 07:21
FIRST OFF, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SCORE. I NOTICED YOU DID ALOT OF PAPER TESTS, HOW DO YOU THINK THEY HELPED WITH YOU PREPERATION VS. CAT?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2004, 04:16
Stoolfi,

Congrats man! I just got back from vacation and saw this!!! This is brilliant! WOW. I'm studying now to retake the exam in March and I'm determined to get a good score. I just need more practice and I also need to eliminate the fear that takes control of me such exams.

Congrats once again.

Last edited by Makky07 on 29 Mar 2005, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
  [#permalink] 01 Feb 2004, 04:16