Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

24% (02:56) correct 76% (00:51) wrong based on 15 sessions
A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with
high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying
the herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that,
in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Possibly, therefore, the
herb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils, a hypothesis
that would gain support if ______.
A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant—roots, stem, leaves, and flowers
B. the herb’s high level of histidine production is found to be associated with an
unusually low level of production of other amino acids
C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine in
large quantities
D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over an
extended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic
E. the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches
maturity
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 13:34
I'll go with C.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 14:02
I will go with E. The hypothesis talks about how herb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils. So logically, once the plant is matured, it no more requires to produce histidine.

What is OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 14:11
I will go with C.

If the herb survives due to neutralising effect of histidine on toxic metals then other herbs of the same family should (most likely) be surviving due to the same reason.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 18:05
I will go with D.

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 18:44
C for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 21:21
OA is E....

Nobody has given me a proper explanation except for one.
Kindly explain your answer option....
6 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [6] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 06:27
This post received
KUDOS
Ok, allow me to explain this one...

The sentence marked in RED below is the actual hypothesis.:

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with
high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying
the herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that,
in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Possibly, therefore, the
herb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils, a hypothesis
that would gain support if
______.

Now lets go through each option to see if it supports the hypothesis marked in RED in above argument.

A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant—roots, stem, leaves, and flowers - This does not indicate that the histidine is responsible for the growth of herb in metal-rich soils. So does not support the hypothesis
B. the herb’s high level of histidine production is found to be associated with an unusually low level of production of other amino acids - Same as A. Reject...
C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine in large quantities - Many guys picked up this option. Let me tell you why this is NOT the correct answer. The sentence simply indicates that other closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities. This statement might be true, but it does not prove that histidine is indeed responsible for herb's growth in metal-rich soil. It might be possible that some other element is responsible for the growth of plants, which is not yet being discovered. So this statement does not provide any support to the hypothesis.
D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over an extended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic - huh(?!), REJECT.... I don't think you guys want an explanation for this? :roll:
E. the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity - BINGO!!!! Read the hypothesis again. It says that the histidine helps the plants to GROW in the metal-rich soil. This is the only option which talks about growth of the herb. If the histidine is only helping the plants to grow, then logically it is not even required once the plant is fully grown. Also, this is the only BEST answer we have. Remember (?) BEST IS NOT IDEAL?

Hope this explanation is helpful.
---------------------------

Consider KUDOS if you found my post helpful :)
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [3] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
hgp2k wrote:

______.

Now lets go through each option to see if it supports the hypothesis marked in RED in above argument.

A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant—roots, stem, leaves, and flowers - This does not indicate that the histidine is responsible for the growth of herb in metal-rich soils. So does not support the hypothesis
B. the herb’s high level of histidine production is found to be associated with an unusually low level of production of other amino acids - Same as A. Reject...
C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine in large quantities - Many guys picked up this option. Let me tell you why this is NOT the correct answer. The sentence simply indicates that other closely related group of plants also produce histidine in large quantities. This statement might be true, but it does not prove that histidine is indeed responsible for herb's growth in metal-rich soil. It might be possible that some other element is responsible for the growth of plants, which is not yet being discovered. So this statement does not provide any support to the hypothesis.
D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over an extended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic - huh(?!), REJECT.... I don't think you guys want an explanation for this? :roll:
E. the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity - BINGO!!!! Read the hypothesis again. It says that the histidine helps the plants to GROW in the metal-rich soil. This is the only option which talks about growth of the herb. If the histidine is only helping the plants to grow, then logically it is not even required once the plant is fully grown. Also, this is the only BEST answer we have. Remember (?) BEST IS NOT IDEAL?

Nice explanation...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 15:14
I would definitely like to know the source of this question

Always tag your question

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 16:51
This post received
KUDOS
gurpreet07 wrote:
hgp2k wrote:

______.

Nice explanation...

Consider KUDOS :beer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 20:42
ichha148 wrote:
I would definitely like to know the source of this question

source is an score top VIP sets.
but know the website has been banned by the GMAC....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 20:45
hgp2k wrote:
gurpreet07 wrote:
hgp2k wrote:

______.

Nice explanation...

Consider KUDOS :beer

Kudos for your nice work and timely response
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 25

Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
One more kudo from Me. :-D

Believe in yourself.

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 05:20
What's wrong with D?

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 47

CAT Tests
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 06:29
yeah really nice Question very close call between D&E
definitely would choose the wrong option in the exam :(

E is good but a lot of thinking is required.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 07:05
sudeep wrote:
What's wrong with D?

As per the given information, histidine just renders the metals inert and does not reduce the concentration of metals in soil. And even if it does, why do we care? We just want to know if the histidine helps the plant to grow. And choice D does not tell us that. So we can get rid of D.

Please let me know if you want me to explain further.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Kudos [?]: 175 [1] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
hgp2k wrote:
sudeep wrote:
What's wrong with D?

As per the given information, histidine just renders the metals inert and does not reduce the concentration of metals in soil. And even if it does, why do we care? We just want to know if the histidine helps the plant to grow. And choice D does not tell us that. So we can get rid of D.

Please let me know if you want me to explain further.

My Reasoning:

Premises:

Other plants can't grow ==> because of high concentration toxic metals in the soil.

Herb can grow ==> in the soil with high concentration toxic metal.

Herb ==> produces amino acids (histidine) ==> make metals inert

Conclusion: Possibly, therefore, the herb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils.

We need to support the conclusion

E says that at maturity histidine concentration declines

1)note : Concentration declines, not "zero"==> they still have histidine but not growing

2) it doesn't prove that histidine is the (only, as implied in the conclusion) reason for the growth, as there is no comparison made with other reasons. It doesn't use the premises of the metal inertness which is used for the hypothesis.

----
D says that "cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over an extended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic"

As other plants to which metals are toxic are able to grow in the soil after cultivation of the herb ==>(implies) soil has metals that are inert and non-toxic ==>(implies) histidine is the reason of the inertness of the metal==>(implies) histadine is the only reason for the growth of the herbs.

Last conclusion is the result of the comparison of the herb's ability and inability of other plants, which are toxic to metals, to grow in toxic soil.

We need comparison:

Other plant's can't grow, but herbs can. Why? hestadine makes the metal inert and is the reason for the growth of the herbs.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 25

Re: A certain cultivated herb is one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 09:48
Thanx for the explanation!

Believe in yourself.

Manager
Manager