Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A few questions...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

A few questions... [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2005, 15:22
Hi Scott & Omari,

My profile: Indian, Female, 27

GMAT: 710 (94%); Q:49 (90%); V:39 (89%)

Education:
Bachelor of Engineering, India (79.13% - First Class w/ distinction)
MS Electrical Engineering, Ohio State Univ (3.1 GPA)

Work Exp:
Sr. Market Development Engr - 2yrs (Fortune 500 company)
Director Product Marketing - 1 yr (Wireless Start up)

Have volunteer experinece with both tech and non-tech non profit organizations.

Interested Schools: McCombs, Kellog, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard & Insead

I was waiting till I got done with my GMAT to decide whether I wanted to apply for fall this year. Now that I got done with my GMAT last week, I am seriously pondering the application process.

Considering that I will be able to apply only for round 3 in all of the schools mentioned above, what are my chances of getting into any of the schools listed above?

If I decide to go ahead and apply this year, I have heard that schools during their round 3 try to balance the over all class profile wrt to diversity etc. So, is that something to be concerned about in my case?

Should I just wait and apply for Fall 2006?

Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2005, 18:53
Expert's post
Probably the best thing for you to do is to wait until next year. You're right that schools tend to use the 3rd round as a way to balance out their classes. That may work against you since there are so many Indian applicants with IT experience (so their classes will probably already have a lot of them). Also, the sheer number of spots that are still available by Round 3 is pretty low.

If you do apply now and don't get accepted, you can definitely apply next year, but you would probably need to show a significant change in your application between now and next year (such as a job promotion or notable community service achievement). So, it's not impossible to try now and then try again in nine months, but be aware that you will have to work a little extra hard to impress them the second time.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2005, 19:15
Scott, thanks for your prompt response. I have another question. I dont have any IT background in my experience. High tech marketing yes, but nothing even closely relating to IT. Does that change anything at all?

Since I graduated with a MS in EE, I have been doing some form of marketing. In fact my last job was purely marketing, I handled everything from Marcom, PR, Product Marketing and Product Management . I have really come to enjoy and appreciate Marketing and that is the reason I want to pursue an MBA. I would like to specialize in Marketing & Strategic Management.

Thanks again!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 08:45
Expert's post
Oops, sorry... I saw your major and misread your work experience and thought you were mainly IT. That actually does help that you have more of a marketing background.

Still, getting accepted in the 3rd round will be tough, even if you're not an IT person. I personally wouldn't apply in the 3rd round, but you may have personal circumstances that make it make sense for you to apply now. Just know that it will be tough.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2005, 19:24
Thanks again Scott! I think I will most likely apply for next fall...