Hello .I am currently applying for Desautels (Mcgill) fulltime course this year .If you do not mind I need your opinion on these issues :
1- What is the ideal font for essays ( Times Roman , Arial ,...etc) ? What is the ideal font size?
2-I have been browsing the internet when I saw an article recommending the usage of the university's headers and/or footers on the essay .Is this your recommendation as well?
3-Desautels do not have a resume template of their own. In fact , they demand " a detailed curriculum vitae" . Checking the templates for other Canadian schools that have ones ( Sauder and John Molson as examples), I found them of 2 pages . Is it OK to submit a 2- page CV if the school demands a detailed one ?
4- I already mentioned in the essay that I received a job promotion .Do I also have to repeat this in my resume ?
5-Is it OK to mention the link for my LinkedIn profile in the contacts part of my CV or this would look informal ? Also , is it OK to mention Sudoku and Cross words in my interests ? my GMAT is slightly lower than what they demand (550 my score , 600 is their minimum). I am actually interested in these 2 activities but am also afraid they would look too casual in a professional cv .Meanwhile , I want to make sure if these would reflect any quant and verbal reasoning ability .
6- Talking about one of my subordinates who was dismissed .Is it OK to say "fired" ? I am using "terminate his service" but am afraid I would exceed the 500 word limit , meanwhile want to keep my tone professional.
7-On their work history form they demand the salary for each title received .Do you advise me to write the values as I received them in my local currency which is suffering severe changes these days or converting them to US or Canadian dollars?
In the end I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for this great effort . I follow every single word that bears the name "accepted.com
" . You simply rock !
Thanks so much for the feedback!
1. I really don't have an opinion between Times Roman and Arial. 11 or 12.
2. No, unless instructed otherwise. You should have your name on each page and whatever the school uses as a unique identifier usually a number. You may also want to list the essay number and page number if relevant.
4. you want to list your current position and title so yes.
5. I don't think the LinkedIn profile is a big deal either way. Regarding sudoku and crossword puzzles, i wouldn't mention them as a major time commitment.
6. Without knowing context, I can't say, but why not say "dismissed."
7. I think you should convert them, but tell them how you are converting them. (using values of that time as provided by ....)
Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog