Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 626 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What can I say? The score speaks for itself and you did it :war I don't think you can call it "lucky" this time :) All the best for your future endeavors drdas. We are all proud of you :woohoo
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations. Thanks for your feedback on the GMAT Club Challenges. That helps :)

How did you prep on various sections ( PS/ DS /SC...) any specific changes you made to your prep style?

Hope you keep visiting and offering advice to others

Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian wrote:
Congratulations. Thanks for your feedback on the GMAT Club Challenges. That helps :)

How did you prep on various sections ( PS/ DS /SC...) any specific changes you made to your prep style?

Hope you keep visiting and offering advice to others

Praetorian

My prep style was largely consistent throughout my preparation:

I took a Manhattan GMAT online course, primarily to improve my "verbal" skills; Math is another story as I dont think any of the prep courses consistently discuss problems that are targetted towards 85-90% scorers and above. So, the best bet is to practice as many questions as possible on the GMAT Club, consistently participate in the Challenges and review your errors and mistakes. Another option is to disect difficult questions and 'think' in ETS terms as to how they can be manipulate the question but essentially test the same concept. I cannot speak for other materials like PR or Kaplan Hard Math as I didnt have the time to review them.

Verbal: That was my biggest worry. The Manhattan GMAT course led me through a structured verbal learning process. Especially in SC, the course did an excellent job of separating SC questions into the different categories: Parallelism, Altered Intent, etc. - so each week the course focussed on developing a specific skill and used the OG as a bible. I think that helped me a lot.

I intend to scan the Manhattan GMAT question categorisation and post it on the website. That apart, I would regularly try to attempt SC questions on this website. I didnt have the time to do any of the GMAT+ questions.

People say one cannot improve CR and RC by much - however, I solved every single verbal question in the OG.

Also, as a suggestion, there are tremendous posts on this website about verbal concepts. Some of them have been analysed to death. It will be immensely beneficial if someone could consolidate all these verbal 'gems' and put it together as a tutorial. It will take a lot of work but if somebody can volunteer to be the aggregator and others can keep feeding him material, it can manifest into the most powerful work on verbal theory.

For CR, I did about 70-80 odd questions from the LSAT guide. For RC, I read the 'Economist' regularly - that may have helped - and since all my colleagues at work are American, ever since I signed up for the GMAT, I would keep a close ear on their language - how they speak, the words/punctuations they use, etc.

Hope this helps!

Das
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations, job well done
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats on the BIG score.
I have a genuine question about Ginseng and Ginko Biloba and Whole Vitamin. What are these drugs for? Are they available in all pharmacies without prescription? Why did you take them with grape juice? Is that required?
I also have a lot of trouble from the 'stamina' perspective, so I would really appreciate your answers.
Thanks and good luck on your apps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
mbahope wrote:
Congrats on the BIG score.
I have a genuine question about Ginseng and Ginko Biloba and Whole Vitamin. What are these drugs for? Are they available in all pharmacies without prescription? Why did you take them with grape juice? Is that required?
I also have a lot of trouble from the 'stamina' perspective, so I would really appreciate your answers.
Thanks and good luck on your apps!

I think these are chinese root medicines that claim to "enhance memory". I am not sure abt the stamina part. My understanding is that is that these would be effective with continued intake, rather than on just on the exam day. Yes, these are available over the counter in any US pharmacy.

I took some fresh juice from a vitamin shop nearby (https://www.jambajuice.com). Again not sure abt grape - I searched arnd in the websites with the same question, but found none. Probably grape is just das's favorite :wink:

For stamina - if you feel lost, my personal advice: "Close your eyes and relax for 20 seconds. Think about how worried your loved ones would be, if they hear you couldn't do well in the exam. Then think about how happy they would be, to hear you did really well."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the reply, hardworker.
The reason i specifically sked about these drugs and grape juice is because i think on this or some other similar site, i read about a person who did the exact same thing (took 2 capsules with grape juice).
Hence i was curious.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well... lets be clear - these are not miracle drugs that will produce a flash of brilliance during the exam. The claim about the drugs acting as a 'memory enhancer' is also optimistic at best. Maybe, it will work in the long run.

However, it did boost my stamina. Hardworker is right in that it wont work if you just take it on the test day. So start with some small doses 10 days prior to the exam and build it up to the recommended dose by the test date.

Why grape juice? No personal preferences - just read somewhere that Grape Juice accelerates intake into the blood stream. Also, DO NOT make this a habit as it can effect your liver over the long run, but its fine for a few days.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bit late here but congratulations. That was great effort.

However I do not agree with the medicine advice. I am surprised no one has raised this.

I would not recommend any drugs (even the ones available at counter) to enhance performance. If you need more stamina, do more practice. If there is a health problem, it is different but taking medicine merely to increase the stamina/performance is not right. The concept is wrong. In no time, one will get used to the concept and this would be first step to disaster later on. Just my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with you GS and this is not "advice" that I would recommend - it is just something that may have worked for me and I mentioned it as part of my experience. I could have avoided reference to it at all but still chose to share with the members of the forum... we can turn this into an 'ethics' debate but just a few thoughts:

a) These are not prescription drugs but more like herbal remedies with purportedly no side effects. However, I still think regular use or abuse over the long run can be ruinous to one's health and I made that clear from the onset.

b) What is a medical condition and what is not is debatable... is low memory a medical condition? Is low mental stamina and frequent mental fatigue a medical condition? If not, then surely the GMAT is biased towards those who have greater stamina.

There is no substitute for practice. I took over 15 full practice tests under timed conditions but the practice only marginally alleviated my fatigue...I would suffer from splitting headache midway through the verbal section. Now, will that be termed as a medical condition?

Thats my $0.02 - in conclusion, I still agree with you that its not ethical for the same reasons doping is banned in Olympics - its not in the spirit of the game.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have to agree with GS- I think that some readers might misinterpret the mention of these "herbal" remedies as an endorsement. We can all think of a number of natural substances that are toxic regardless of whether they are regulated as controlled substances by the state.

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yep, I agree with GS.
There is a subtle point that we all miss here. Two more two-cents:
1) None of these medicines claim stamina, I guess. They only claim "enhanced memory".
2) Any test taker who takes this medicine - even though he may not get a physical stamina enhancement - gets mentally strong. I mean, the thought that you have taken something to overcome stamina builds up the stamina. Atlast, everything is in the mind.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts