Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new guy around here

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

A new guy around here [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 09:17
Hello people,
I've been lurking around for a while now, and I've just decided to break my shyness and introduce myself to the whole crew.
I'm 22, Italian. My GMAT is scheduled for the Feb, 19th and I've been studying for a couple of months, albeit i've never spent more than 1-2 hours per day on it.

My resources, until now, have been:

-Princeton "Crackin the GMAT" (nice and comfortable);
-OG11 & 12 (most important!!)
-800scoreDOTcom practice tests (good for getting acquainted)
-This forum. it's really helpful, especially for staying motivated during such a long study period. I've also used you guys' Math Challenges, although never scoring more than 22-23/37.

My goal is 650, at least. I am applying for a Master in International Management in several european universities and i can't really go below this score.
I took the MGMAT free CAT two days ago, and I've got a surprising 680 (Q46, V36).

My major setbacks are:

Timing: if I know how to solve to a question, it takes to me less than two to three minutes to choose among the answer choices. If I don't, I immediately guess and move on. This may sound not-so-stupid to you, but I usually finish my simulations 20 minutes or more in advance. I reckon it's not a common problem around here, but if I idle for too long over the same question, I usually end up changing the answer. Any suggestions?

Quant: I basically skip everything involving permutations, and I really suck at DS :-D Moreover, I've always been really bad at math, so I don't actually trust my Quant skills. :roll:

Verbal: although I'm not a native English speaker, I was pretty surprised to score more on the Quant section than on the Verbal one. Generally speaking, my mistakes ratio is lower on Verbal when I practice, but I have difficulties in staying focused, especially on RC.

Since I still have a couple of weeks now completely free from any distractions, I was thinking about getting a more intensive study program, in order to avoid loafing around. I still have to take the GMAT official tests; I would be more than satisfied with keeping my current score, getting 710 would be great but I think it will involve much more effort and I'm sure I can actually achieve it.

Most important, I want to avoid overconfidence: friends of mine went to the exam with REALLY high simulation scores (around 740) and eventually did poorly.
Is there anyone who would like to give me his\her recommendations? I would really appreciate it!

thanks everyone,

j.
ps: sorry for any glitches in my english :P
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
A new guy around here   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2010, 09:17