Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [2] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (02:04) correct 16% (00:54) wrong based on 84 sessions
A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in which fish are given to dolphins several times a day; many dolphins get as much as half of their food each day there. Although dolphins that first benefit from the program as adults are healthy and long-lived, their offspring have a lower life expectancy than offspring of dolphins that feed exclusively in the wild. Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the lower life expectancy of offspring of dolphins feeding at the beach compared to other young dolphins?
A. Sharks that prey on dolphins are less common in the open seas off the beach than in many other areas of the open seas where dolphins congregate.
B. Many of the adult dolphins that feed at the beach are females that nurse their offspring there.
C. The fish given to the dolphins at the beach are the same types of fish that dolphins typically catch in the wild.
D. Many dolphins that feed at the beach with their offspring come to the beach only a few times a month.
E. Adult dolphins that feed at the beach spend much less time teaching their offspring how to catch fish in the wild than do other adult dolphins.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 5

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 13:17
My first thought when having read the text was:
Is the lower life expectancy based on their offspring not being able to feed themselves or due to shark attacks?

A) Opposite explanation, they would have longer life expectancy not shorter
B) Irrelevant
C) No point
D) Irrelevant
E) Solid and clear explanation to the life the lower life expectancy.

Answer: E

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 6

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
A. Sharks that prey on dolphins are less common in the open seas off the beach than in many other areas of the open seas where dolphins congregate.
It actually gives another reason that live expectancy should be more.
B. Many of the adult dolphins that feed at the beach are females that nurse their offspring there.
Same as A.
C. The fish given to the dolphins at the beach are the same types of fish that dolphins typically catch in the wild.
Then life life expectancy should be same(provided amount of food is also same). Doesn't explain the difference though.
D. Many dolphins that feed at the beach with their offspring come to the beach only a few times a month.
Irrelevant as it also Doesn't explain the difference.
E. Adult dolphins that feed at the beach spend much less time teaching their offspring how to catch fish in the wild than do other adult dolphins.
This can be the reason why they are not healthy and have lower life expectancy.Because they are only dependent on the 1/2 of their diet on the food provided through the feeding program.So for another half they have to make effort.And if they don't know how to get the food the live expectancy will decline
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 15:44
OA is E.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Thunderbird '15
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 03:35
Thanks for the explanation vjsharma25
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 00:38
+1 E

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 01:40
The answer is E

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 03:04
+1 E, the offspring cannot survive in the wild when it lacks of training from its busy parent.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 08:46
+1 for E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 22:21
IMO E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 00:55
+1 for E
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 20

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 21:01
This post received
KUDOS
I believe A is also a contender but E is the best answer as E's explanation is a super set of that of A.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 20:37
Got confused with A, but now I understand it must be E
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 08:16
i too would go with E

just one more month for exam...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 13:42
I Got E as well. What is everyone's time? Mine was 2:30. I knew the answer was E around 1:30 but spent the extra time looking over the possible answer choices again and looking at the Question stem to make sure one last time that E was right.

What are your guys thoughts? should I be spending less time or is this common when people are taking the GMAT?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 16:56
It is clearly E .
Te reson is that the offsprings of the dolphins in the beach are less competent to catch the fish in the wild compared to those in the wild .Hence a lower availability of food and lower life expectancy .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 23:19
+1 E anyone ?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 19:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 21:10

My query is between (D) and (E).

How can one relate time teaching offspring to 'lower expectancy among offspring'?

(D) says dolphins come to beach only a few times a month, and hence consume less food ?

I know I am going wrong somewhere.

Plz highlight how option (E) is best

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1072

Kudos [?]: 4777 [1] , given: 163

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 21:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
noboru wrote:
A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in which fish are given to dolphins several times a day; many dolphins get as much as half of their food each day there. Although dolphins that first benefit from the program as adults are healthy and long-lived, their offspring have a lower life expectancy than offspring of dolphins that feed exclusively in the wild. Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the lower life expectancy of offspring of dolphins feeding at the beach compared to other young dolphins?

Responding to a pm:

Fish are given to dolphins several times a day; many dolphins get as much as half of their food each day there.
Dolphins that first benefit from the program as adults are healthy and long-lived, but their offspring have a lower life expectancy than offspring of dolphins that feed exclusively in the wild.

This is a kind of 'explain the paradox' question. You expect the offspring of all dophins to have similar life expectancy. You might even think that dolphins who feed at the beach and their offspring might, in fact, have better life expectancy than others since half of their daily need is supplied by the beach. But actually offspring of dolphins that feed at the beach have lower life expectancy!

What will explain this?

This doesn't explain why the life expectancy of the offspring of these dolphins should be lower. Perhaps, if they come to the beach only a few times a month, the beach has no importance for them. But then, why should their offspring have lower life expectancy? The others make do with the fish from the wild - they can do so too.

This explains the paradox perfectly. Adult dolphins that are busy at the beach don't teach fishing to their offspring. This means that the offspring don't learn how to make up the other half of their daily diet. The fish at the beach provide only half of their diet. They don't learn how to catch fish in the wild and make up the day's quota. On the other hand, the dolphins sticking to the wild spend time teaching fishing to their offspring and hence the life expectancy of their offspring is higher.

Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: A popular beach has long had a dolphin feeding program in   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2014, 21:40