Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Quick question about the Quantitative Section

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
A Quick question about the Quantitative Section [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 06:04
Guys

What is the most amount of uestions you ould possibly get wrong on the Quantitative section to score a 45?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Quick question about the Quantitative Section [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 06:10
I don't think there is a set number as it can depend on which questions you get. If you get a bunch right in the beginning, the CAT will start giving you really hard questions.

The numbers I chose have no relevance at all to getting a 45+Q.

Scenario 1)

You start out like a rock star and get the first 15 questions correct. CAT gives you very tough questions. You miss 6 of the next 10. CAT doesn't hold it against you as much because it knows it gave you top-level questions.

Scenario 2)

You start out on a good pace and get 11 of the first 15 correct. CAT gives you intermediate questions. You get 8 of the next 10 correct.

Each scenario could still give you the same Quant score. The level of difficulty for the questions is different and that matters to GMAT algorithm for computing your score.

Vavali wrote:
Guys

What is the most amount of uestions you ould possibly get wrong on the Quantitative section to score a 45?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Quick question about the Quantitative Section [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 08:46
It depends, but in general, I have missed 9-11 questions on the gmatprep and got 47-48, so I think it is safe to assume that you can miss 13 questions and still get 45. BUT those are gmatprep results, no one knows for sure how closely that relates to the real thing.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Quick question about the Quantitative Section [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 08:54
Vavali wrote:
Guys

The GMAT scoring doesn't work like that. It's more about the difficulty of the questions you do get wrong than it is about the number of questions you get wrong. That being said, just try to get everything right :lol:

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Quick question about the Quantitative Section [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 10:08
YihWei wrote:
Vavali wrote:
Guys

The GMAT scoring doesn't work like that. It's more about the difficulty of the questions you do get wrong than it is about the number of questions you get wrong. That being said, just try to get everything right :lol:

:lol: if only it was easier said than done. Thanks Guys
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Quick question about the Quantitative Section [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 11:10
Yea it all depends, you could get 12 wrong and get a 50Q, or 12 wrong and a 30Q , so you can't really judge it that way.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Quick question about the Quantitative Section [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 11:33
gmatnub wrote:
It depends, but in general, I have missed 9-11 questions on the gmatprep and got 47-48, so I think it is safe to assume that you can miss 13 questions and still get 45. BUT those are gmatprep results, no one knows for sure how closely that relates to the real thing.

In pure theory, the notion is that a 47Q can have 20 wrong as well as 3 wrong. But in practice, it really doesn't. The CAT doesn't work THAT well. So, what gmatnub said above is probably in the ballpark.

I think the number also works with the assumption that you need to get the first handful correct. For example, if you get the first 4 questions wrong, you might never be able to recover from that. I'm talking like 41Q, who knows exactly.
Re: A Quick question about the Quantitative Section   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2008, 11:33