Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Accept Schulich or wait on Rotman

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Accept Schulich or wait on Rotman [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 20:17
Hi,

I have a bit of an issue with regards to whether to accept Schulich's offer of admission. I applied to 3 schools, Rotman, Schulich, and McMaster's co-op MBA program. So far I got accepted into Schulich and have an interview with Mac.

The issue is that the day I got accepted to Schulich was the same day that Rotman sent me an email notifying me they would get back to me within four to six weeks. I only have four weeks to accept Schulich's offer. I have basically met the bare-minimum requirements, 2 years work experience, B+ in my last two years in my undergrad. However my Gmat score was weak as I wrote it a few years ago and didn't study much because I didn't even know what I wanted to do at the time. I think they liked the fact that I have my level 1 CFA exam completed and I am studying for level 2. I do want to continue to pursue a career in finance and Rotman has a much better reputation in that industry although their program is $30K more expensive than Schulich's. Can anyone offer some insight onto whether I should simply accept Schulich? Or should I wait on Rotman and hope I get accepted?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: Accept Schulich or wait on Rotman [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 03:33
I plan to apply to those three myself. Any advice now would be moot since you are probably already attending the uni you decided to go to, but let us know where you went and what factored into your decision?

While I'd give Rotman less consideration because of their high tuition fees, the match between Degroote and Schulich is a hard one. Should you for high prestige with one internships (60% chance) or three full blown co op periods (100% guarantee). so what did you do?
Intern
Intern

Re: Accept Schulich or wait on Rotman [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 06:16
I ended up going to rotman. No regrets so far. Although its week 1. That being said I spoke to a lot of rotman students and schulich students. Schulich students said rotman is a no brainer for finance and they do better with the top tier consulting firms. That being said schulich is still a solid school. When it comes to finance there's no competition with rotman in canada. I have a career coach. A mentor and extremely solid professors with very good backgrounds. Mac is a solid school if yoU like the co-op option although that's more for ppl with no work experience. Either way all 3 schools are great!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: Accept Schulich or wait on Rotman [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2012, 07:25
congrats DrewF. you made it!

i hope i have similar luck. I would like pursue a career in finance next, so maybe Rotman is a better choice. Only if I end up getting some sort of scholarship though, otherwise its waaay too expensive. How many ppl in your batch got scholarships this year?

Not too sure about my chances, I will def miss the R1 deadline, hopefully will submit my app in the next few months.
Intern
Intern

Re: Accept Schulich or wait on Rotman [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 14:54
I can't give you a #. Not many. But Rotman has a deal with BMO and RBC where they will pay all the interest on your tuition while you are in school. Honestly if you want finance go to Rotman. Anything else you need to think long and hard but when it comes to Finance in Canada there is no question you should be here. That was the advise my undergrad finance professor with an MBA from Schulich told me. You have your whole life to pay it back. Its a solid investment.
Manager
Manager

Re: Accept Schulich or wait on Rotman [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 01:13
thanks for the advice, seems sounds. although as an international student, RBC and BMO probably wont be offering any student loans my way. Still, fingers crossed for the scholarship!
Re: Accept Schulich or wait on Rotman   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2012, 01:13