Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

advice requeste for no work exp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

advice requeste for no work exp [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 23:17
Hi Mr. Paul,

I graduated in the Philippines this year with a degree in BS Industrial Engineering. My GPA is just 3.0. I worked as a Business Analyst for two months but had to quit my job to migrate to USA. I want to get an MBA here. I'm planning to take GMAT next month. Is it advisable for me to apply for MBA now? Or should I get work experience in the USA first? I know my chances to get to Bschool are pretty slim considering the fact that my GPA is not stellar and I didn't really took up any leadership roles in extracurricular activities during college although I'm the leader of our group when it comes to course projects and thesis. What can I do to improve my chances of getting to Bschool?

Thank you for your reply in advance :)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: advice requeste for no work exp [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 23:24
Expert's post
Yes indeed - you need work experience and lots of it. I don't mean to be cold, but I don't believe there is any b-school worth attending that would consider you at this stage. It is important to understand that MBA programs (at least those that are not 5-year BA/MBA combo programs) are not at all reset button programs or "first step" programs. Law school can be the first step towards a career in law. You go to law school, get a JD, pass the bar, become a lawyer. Med school is the same thing. Go to med school, get an MD, pass your boards, become a resident. The MBA is not like this. There is no licensing exam, no equivalent of a first year associate or resident. When you graduate with an MBA, the expectation is that you are ready to lead and work at a senior level. It is a midstream degree for that reason and to earn one before you are ready to make it pay off would be a disservice to you. Schools know that, so they won't even allow it to happen (not just out of the goodness of their hearts; they also don't want to take the hit in their employment #s).

If you want to get into an academic program, consider law school or a masters (finance, accounting, public policy, etc.). But an MBA is several years off.

Hope this helps you out!

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: advice requeste for no work exp [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 23:54
wow that's fast. thank you :)

I understand. I've also been doubtful if it's time to get an MBA now. Well I guess I have to get some work experience first.