Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Re: Advise Please [#permalink]
CookieMonster wrote:
lepium wrote:
CookieMonster wrote:
hello all,

My goal is to achieve a 700+ gmat score.
I have been studying gmat material for the past several months, but I have yet to take a practice test.

I just signed up for the March 5th gmat, so i figure it's time to start ramping up my studying intensity.

My main concern is that I have neither enough problems to work through nor practice tests to take.

Can someone please provide a link to a site, other than the gmat registration site, that offers adaptive tests to d/l ?

Also while I was browsing the forum today, I came across a mesage from a poster who had expressed his appreciation for some 1000 question gmat excel sheet..
Can someone provide the link to the excel sheet or let me know how to acquire the file?

any other helpful info would be welcomed and appreciated..

thanks in advance,
CM :-D

I don't mean to disappoint you, but I think you may need a little more time to prepare (maybe 1 - 1.5 months, not too much more time). If you haven't done any test yet, take a GMATprep test (the one downloaded from the official GMAT site). If you score 700+ in it, then your timing may be OK as it is (for your target score). If you score significantly lower than that, then you need more time to prepare. GMATprep is a good predictor of actual GMAT performance, so taking it ASAP would be a good diagnostic.

I'm not so familiar with the materials here, but look for SC1000 and RC and CR documents. Someone else with more knowledge on these issues please reply?

Hope it helps. L.

well i have already been through that official guide 11th ed., gmat quant review, gmat verbal review, all manhattan books, princeton review math, and princeton review verbal books..

so you really think i need 1-1.5 months of test taking practice?
are there even enough practice tests for that?
if so, where can i get them??

i plan on applying fall 07, so there is really no rush. i am just getting really burnt out

thanks

I totally agree with lepium
Taking the actual test without a prep test is kinda not advised ...Generally people prefer taking atleast a couple of GMATPrep exams before taking the real one...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
well i agree with you both about the importance of taking practice tests prior to exam day.
i was planning to take 3-5 next week.
thats still not good enough?

if i choose to cancel my test before the exam date, will colleges find out?
if so, how do the colleges view a cancellation before the test vs. after the test?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CookieMonster wrote:
well i agree with you both about the importance of taking practice tests prior to exam day.
i was planning to take 3-5 next week.
thats still not good enough?

if i choose to cancel my test before the exam date, will colleges find out?
if so, how do the colleges view a cancellation before the test vs. after the test?

My answer was somehow confusing, so I'll restate:

Take 2 GMATprep full tests (including AWA, to check endurance) ASAP.

If you score 700+ in both (some people would suggest both above 720/730 as a safety factor)--> then you are ready and won't need much more time and your test schedule should be OK.

If you score 600 - 650 or less in both --> then you may need some extra time to prepare. In this case, don't burn out doing 1000's of exercises. Work on understanding your weaknesses and addressing them.

Hope it helps. L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe Kaplan offers a free CAT on their website that you can take. Manhattan GMAT has tests you can purchase although they're not CAT's, in other words, they're not adaptive. I think you might be able to buy Princeton Review CAT's on their website.

It's great that you worked through the OG, that's a crucial part of getting a feel for the questions. But I think I'll echo others here and say that taking practice tests is really important.

A lot of people on these forums (myself included) discovered that its one thing to do practice problems, but it's another thing to take a timed test and to understand how to budget your time, how to deal with the stress of running out of time, how to get a feel for the test. It's important to be prepared for the mental fatigue that you experience when you spend an hour on the AWA, then take the quant, and then the verbal.

This might not seem like a big deal but for a lot of people it is the hardest part. Some people will do very well on practice tests and then bomb the real thing because the nerves get to them. So it's important to take as many CAT's as possible so that you are very comfortable with the timing and the format.

If you haven't taken any tests yet then you should get going. I think March 5th is doable, but as Lepium suggested if you are not doing well on the practice tests, then you should postpone your test.

One other thing, you might know this already, but it is possible to take the GMATPrep (the official test makers' tests) multiple times and get mostly new questions. Some people will take the GMAT Prep tests three times and they say that they only encounter a few repeat questions. So let's say you take each GMATPrep three times, you download the free Kaplan test, and you can get your hands on a couple others you should be in good shape.

Best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]