Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Am I screwed?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Am I screwed? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2007, 09:33
Here is my dilemma:

I originally attended a junior college back in 1991 and graduated with sub par grades. At the time I was immature and wasn’t focused on school at all. Well in 2004 I returned, this time I was focused and appreciated the opportunity I had to receive an education. I graduate this May and I would like to continue on to receive my MBA.

What are my chances of gaining acceptance into a school like Babson or Emory? Because of my porous grades during my first stint in school my cumulative GPA is just under a 3.0. I haven’t taken the GMAT’s yet but I am confident I will score well based on practice and a scheduled course I have coming up to prepare. I am 33 years old and I have significant work experience including leadership positions, internal consulting, training and development.

What are my chances? Please be honest.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Am I screwed? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 11:22
Wil1870 wrote:
Here is my dilemma:

I originally attended a junior college back in 1991 and graduated with sub par grades. At the time I was immature and wasn’t focused on school at all. Well in 2004 I returned, this time I was focused and appreciated the opportunity I had to receive an education. I graduate this May and I would like to continue on to receive my MBA.

What are my chances of gaining acceptance into a school like Babson or Emory? Because of my porous grades during my first stint in school my cumulative GPA is just under a 3.0. I haven’t taken the GMAT’s yet but I am confident I will score well based on practice and a scheduled course I have coming up to prepare. I am 33 years old and I have significant work experience including leadership positions, internal consulting, training and development.

What are my chances? Please be honest.

Wil870,

Because of your higher GPA during your second attempt and because of the time that has passed since your 1991 experience, you have a decent chance at both Emory and Babson (assuming the rest of your application is strong) if you get a GMAT in the 700 or higher neighborhood. Your age will be a concern--it's at the outside edge of Babson's middle 80% and is just outside Emory's middle 80%. So explain the community college period briefly and objectively, emphasize what you've done since, and aim for that 700 GMAT.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2007, 11:32
Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 09:02
Wil1870 wrote:
Thanks!

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter