Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another eval please =)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Another eval please =) [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 21:33
Hello. I’m about to start the process of applying to business schools, but I wanted to solicit some advice from this forum. I especially want to make sure that I have a realistic shot at my target schools.. I'm a 26 male, asian descent, born and raised in the South...=)

First a bit of background.. I’ve been working for the past 2.5 years as a project manager at a large regional bank here in the South. I came through a selective rotational management associate program, and immediately entered the operations and technology division. We are currently in the middle of large merger which will create a top 10 bank in the country. I’m one of two project managers selected to work on our divestiture (selling off of branches). I’ve feel like I showed considerable leadership potential throughout the merger thus far, and I believe my recommendation letters will attest to this. I've also played an active role in the management program. I've hosted lunches, spoken to prospectives, and conducted an information session on the application develoment area of the bank during the associates rotation through the operations division. This February, I will be actually interviewing candidates for the program. Prior to joining the bank, I spend a year as a marketing rep / business development associate for an in-store marketing company.

I have a double major in business administration and computer science from a small liberal arts school in the south, but unfortunately I have a 2.99 cumulative GPA. I did show improvement in my senior year though, where I had a 3.5 gpa. I also took some the hardest quant classes this year as well, while holding an internship, so I’m hoping I can convince ad-coms that this is my true potential.

As far as extra curricular activity, I’ve been involved in junior achievement where I teach underprivileged junior high school students economics (wonderful experience). In undergrad, I was also selected by the president of the school to serve on the president’s student advisory council. We basically acted as the liaisons between the president and the student body. I was also a peer counselor responsible for seminars on alcohol awareness, date rape, etc.

GMAT….I just scored a 600 on my GMAT. My quant score killed me. I scored a 38 on verbal, but only a 35 in quant.

I'm enrolling in a calculus course and a statistics course starting in Janary to mitigate the gpa and gmat.

At any rate, I know my gpa/gmat is not very competitive. So I’m hoping to target the near-elite frontier tier..

1) University of Illinois – Urbana
2) Notre Dame
2) Georgia Tech
3) Wake Forrest

I'm interested in moving into consulting within the financial servies industry, and ultimately moving into an internal strategy group. I'm also interested in moving into the consumer products industry, and ultimately moving into product management (hence notre dame). Two distinct fields I know, but I'll only articulate one in my essays.. thanks!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another eval please =) [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 10:23
amorica wrote:
Hello. I’m about to start the process of applying to business schools, but I wanted to solicit some advice from this forum. I especially want to make sure that I have a realistic shot at my target schools.. I'm a 26 male, asian descent, born and raised in the South...=)

First a bit of background.. I’ve been working for the past 2.5 years as a project manager at a large regional bank here in the South. I came through a selective rotational management associate program, and immediately entered the operations and technology division. We are currently in the middle of large merger which will create a top 10 bank in the country. I’m one of two project managers selected to work on our divestiture (selling off of branches). I’ve feel like I showed considerable leadership potential throughout the merger thus far, and I believe my recommendation letters will attest to this. I've also played an active role in the management program. I've hosted lunches, spoken to prospectives, and conducted an information session on the application develoment area of the bank during the associates rotation through the operations division. This February, I will be actually interviewing candidates for the program. Prior to joining the bank, I spend a year as a marketing rep / business development associate for an in-store marketing company.

I have a double major in business administration and computer science from a small liberal arts school in the south, but unfortunately I have a 2.99 cumulative GPA. I did show improvement in my senior year though, where I had a 3.5 gpa. I also took some the hardest quant classes this year as well, while holding an internship, so I’m hoping I can convince ad-coms that this is my true potential.

As far as extra curricular activity, I’ve been involved in junior achievement where I teach underprivileged junior high school students economics (wonderful experience). In undergrad, I was also selected by the president of the school to serve on the president’s student advisory council. We basically acted as the liaisons between the president and the student body. I was also a peer counselor responsible for seminars on alcohol awareness, date rape, etc.

GMAT….I just scored a 600 on my GMAT. My quant score killed me. I scored a 38 on verbal, but only a 35 in quant.

I'm enrolling in a calculus course and a statistics course starting in Janary to mitigate the gpa and gmat.

At any rate, I know my gpa/gmat is not very competitive. So I’m hoping to target the near-elite frontier tier..

1) University of Illinois – Urbana
2) Notre Dame
2) Georgia Tech
3) Wake Forrest

I'm interested in moving into consulting within the financial servies industry, and ultimately moving into an internal strategy group. I'm also interested in moving into the consumer products industry, and ultimately moving into product management (hence notre dame). Two distinct fields I know, but I'll only articulate one in my essays.. thanks!!

Amorica,

Too bad about the GMAT. You have an interesting and impressive profile aside from that score, which will help you compensate to some extent for it. The four schools you mentioned seem doable to me. You might also consider Babson, Vanderbilt, Pittsburgh (Katz), USC (Moore), Arizona State, and/or perhaps Purdue. If there's any chance of your retaking the GMAT to move it upward you would improve your chances. You might want to read Accepted.com's advice for low GMAT applicants.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 18:50
Thank You Paul!

My only concern is that I have no 'safe' schools. Do you reccommend I drop down a tier in my target schools? At least apply to one safe school? I know a current student at Georgia Tech, she could definately put in a good word for me, but I'm not sure if that will improve my chances.

Even the additional schools you mentioned seemed to be in the top 50 range..

I'm going to apply with my score and If ad-coms suggest I re-take it, I certainly will...Thanks again!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2006, 14:58
amorica wrote:
Thank You Paul!

My only concern is that I have no 'safe' schools. Do you reccommend I drop down a tier in my target schools? At least apply to one safe school? I know a current student at Georgia Tech, she could definately put in a good word for me, but I'm not sure if that will improve my chances.

Even the additional schools you mentioned seemed to be in the top 50 range..

I'm going to apply with my score and If ad-coms suggest I re-take it, I certainly will...Thanks again!

Amorica,

The word of support from a friend won't help you if they doubt you can handle their program, but it's worth using if you have it. Yes, you should have a safety school or two, even if that means looking in a lower tier. I do think you should be able to get admitted to a top 50 school.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 14:36
Hey paul -

I'm getting a little nervous about getting into any of my round 2 schools (Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and Illinois)..

Which additional schools that you mentioned in this thread are more 'round 3' friendly? Thanks!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 11:57
amorica wrote:
Hey paul -

I'm getting a little nervous about getting into any of my round 2 schools (Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and Illinois)..

Which additional schools that you mentioned in this thread are more 'round 3' friendly? Thanks!

Amorica,

Unfortunately, I don't have per-round admission breakdowns from these schools, but as a general rule your odds in the third round will be better at the schools where your profile is what they would consider good or outstanding. So compare your GMAT with their median, and if you're significantly higher then you may be the kind of third-rounder who gets snatched up....

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /