Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

another evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

another evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 01:26
Hi there,

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

- 1y in Armed Forces (rank: Sergeant, leading a small group and responsible for the technical and tactical training). As ususal my country, I remain a member of the Armed Forces for 6-10 years and am attending annual repetition courses (3.5weeks each) during which I have the function of an instructor or lead a group in exercices.
- 3 months internship at 2nd tier global Mgmt consulting company
- Business Management position for 2y at bulge bracket bank in Europe (providing analytical, administrational and other support for senior Mgmt). Great management exposure, early promotion. Whole thing was in the client facing unit for private clients from some emerging markets.

After things were pretty much done at the bank (I had joined after a significant restructuring),

- I joined microfinance startup NGO in Ghana in Sep 2012 to help building it, pro bono work, committed for at least six months. Had always dreamed of the challenge to work in developing country.

2) Your GMAT.

I scored a 680 (85%; V:83%, Q:71%). (Re-taking is not an option)

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation.

Undergrad in Business Administration from a leading European institution (St. Gallen, HEC, RSM, Bocconi). Very solid, but not stellar, GPA. Graduation in 2010.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

- Voluntary member for 9 months (full time) in a selective and prestigious student initiative (incl. management of 60 students for a 2w period), otherwise mainly relationship management with business leaders.
- Co-founded a successful online gaming team in my pre-college years (incl. management of corporate sponsors and 20 staff members). Grew to a considerable size during college.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

None

6) Your target programs.

I narrowed it down to a couple of schools of interest, but am struggling to put them in the "stretch, match, probable"-baskets, being not fully aware of how they would weigh my marginal stats against my experience: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Yale, LBS, INSEAD, NYU.

Can consider other leading schools but ruled them out after my initial research for different reasons.

7) Your post-MBA goal.

Very fascinated with emerging and developing countries, hope to join and lead (or maybe build, at a later stage) a company that either consults companies that enter these markets or finances local companies (e.g. through PE). To put it more visionary: Helping to transform underdeveloped economies by enabling businesses.

Other.

Have quite adventurous personality: Do a lot of outdoor-sports (kayaking, mountaineering etc.) and backpacked through some special destinations (e.g. Somalia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia etc.).

Would extremely appreciate your insightful feedback!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: another evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 22:19
Expert's post
FifthEmu wrote:
Hi there,

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.

- 1y in Armed Forces (rank: Sergeant, leading a small group and responsible for the technical and tactical training). As ususal my country, I remain a member of the Armed Forces for 6-10 years and am attending annual repetition courses (3.5weeks each) during which I have the function of an instructor or lead a group in exercices.
- 3 months internship at 2nd tier global Mgmt consulting company
- Business Management position for 2y at bulge bracket bank in Europe (providing analytical, administrational and other support for senior Mgmt). Great management exposure, early promotion. Whole thing was in the client facing unit for private clients from some emerging markets.

After things were pretty much done at the bank (I had joined after a significant restructuring),

- I joined microfinance startup NGO in Ghana in Sep 2012 to help building it, pro bono work, committed for at least six months. Had always dreamed of the challenge to work in developing country.

2) Your GMAT.

I scored a 680 (85%; V:83%, Q:71%). (Re-taking is not an option)

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation.

Undergrad in Business Administration from a leading European institution (St. Gallen, HEC, RSM, Bocconi). Very solid, but not stellar, GPA. Graduation in 2010.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

- Voluntary member for 9 months (full time) in a selective and prestigious student initiative (incl. management of 60 students for a 2w period), otherwise mainly relationship management with business leaders.
- Co-founded a successful online gaming team in my pre-college years (incl. management of corporate sponsors and 20 staff members). Grew to a considerable size during college.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

None

6) Your target programs.

I narrowed it down to a couple of schools of interest, but am struggling to put them in the "stretch, match, probable"-baskets, being not fully aware of how they would weigh my marginal stats against my experience: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg, Columbia, Yale, LBS, INSEAD, NYU.

Can consider other leading schools but ruled them out after my initial research for different reasons.

7) Your post-MBA goal.

Very fascinated with emerging and developing countries, hope to join and lead (or maybe build, at a later stage) a company that either consults companies that enter these markets or finances local companies (e.g. through PE). To put it more visionary: Helping to transform underdeveloped economies by enabling businesses.

Other.

Have quite adventurous personality: Do a lot of outdoor-sports (kayaking, mountaineering etc.) and backpacked through some special destinations (e.g. Somalia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia etc.).

Would extremely appreciate your insightful feedback!

Interesting profile.

Before I respond, could you please tell me where you're from and where you reside now?

Thanks,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Current Student

Re: another evaluation [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2012, 23:16
Sure, I am from Switzerland. Currently, I am living and working in Ghana (my official residence is still in Switzerland though). Didn't mention it above, but lived in Norway for a while for an exchange semester.

You didn't ask, but maybe it matters: Am fluent in German and English. My French is also decent.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: another evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 20:56
Expert's post
FifthEmu wrote:
Sure, I am from Switzerland. Currently, I am living and working in Ghana (my official residence is still in Switzerland though). Didn't mention it above, but lived in Norway for a while for an exchange semester.

You didn't ask, but maybe it matters: Am fluent in German and English. My French is also decent.

I can see why you had problems assessing your chances. I'm having problems too! :-) Your experience is simply excellent. Highly competitive. Your academics are a little weak, especially your GMAT quant score. However, I think that your European and African experience, sense of adventure, initiative, distinctive (but still plausible given your experience) goal, and accomplishments will carry the day at several of your target programs. Here is how I would break down your target schools.

HBS, Wharton, Booth, Kellogg, Columbia: Stretch

Yale, LBS, INSEAD, NYU: Competitive.

IF you would like help with your MBA application, please let me know.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Current Student

Re: another evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 10:04
Many thanks, that's more or less in line with my thoughts. Interestingly there seem to be different views on Yale in particular, depending on who I ask it has been put in all three baskets from "probable" to "stretch".

A very interesting option (especially because I was missing schools where the probability of admission is really high) was pointed out by another admission consultant (Angela Guido from mbaMission to give her the credit): The Indian School of Business. It was completely off my radar, but after some research I think indeed that this would be a great fit for me (and significantly better from a financial risk/return point of view compared to US schools outside the M7).

I have yet to decide on the exact schools I apply to. Will start with ISB and further in the process I am sure that I will get better at figuring out where to send my applications.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: another evaluation [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 15:05
Expert's post
FifthEmu wrote:
Many thanks, that's more or less in line with my thoughts. Interestingly there seem to be different views on Yale in particular, depending on who I ask it has been put in all three baskets from "probable" to "stretch".

A very interesting option (especially because I was missing schools where the probability of admission is really high) was pointed out by another admission consultant (Angela Guido from mbaMission to give her the credit): The Indian School of Business. It was completely off my radar, but after some research I think indeed that this would be a great fit for me (and significantly better from a financial risk/return point of view compared to US schools outside the M7).

I have yet to decide on the exact schools I apply to. Will start with ISB and further in the process I am sure that I will get better at figuring out where to send my applications.

I agree with Angela. It actually had occurred to me too. You could also end up with a scholarship and the school really fits your goals and interests well.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553