Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another evaluation...cheers!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Another evaluation...cheers!!! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 20:45
Hi Linda,

I presented Scott with my bacakground however thought it wouldn't hurt to hear your point of view as well. Thanks for taking out the time to do this - I'm amazed I didnt find this forum earlier. Anyway...here is my profile:

Like everyone else...I wonder if you can help me out. I'm an Australian Indian (born in India, brought up in Sydney ), 22 female. I am a little concerned about my age as an applicant but here is my background nonetheless.

- BSc Information Systems (most courses in Australia are 3 years) from University of New South Wales (UNSW). I was offered scholarships for computer engineering at both UNSW and UTS (another great university), however turned it down due to my focus on pursuing my career in an integration of Business with Technology.

- Worked 2 part-time jobs throughout the first two years of my degree (worked in retail as well as in admin for an Indian publicly listed company). In final year of uni (2003) I was offered a full-time job at Toshiba Australia in Business Process Re-engineering. I juggled full time uni with full time work and graduated on time in Nov 2003.

- After 14months in Toshiba, I moved onto Accenture as I felt my career progress in Toshiba was rather limited. At Accenture, I have worked on business proposals, lead the System Integration Test team, and assigned Change Management roles where I deal face to face with clients.

- Extra Activities: Part of a non-profit organisation where we raise funds for not only sick children in Australia, however donate 50% to a charity in India. Other charities: Cancer Council, Heart Foundation and Clean Up Australia. I've been involed in cricket and softball competitively till 2 years ago, due to work commitments and focusing more on charity work. I participate in Dance and Singing performances.

- I speak, read and write in Hindi fluently and have completed Stage I of Mandarin. I learnt Indonesian for 4 years during senior highschool and early university years.

I have yet to take my GMAT however my university score (we dont have GPAs here) is High Credit (71%). My letters of recommendation are being written my a Senior Manager and a Partner from my projects.

My numero uno choice for B-Schools is Kellogg, followed by Duke, NYU, Wharton and CBS.

How do you think my chances are?!??!! How many schools do you recommend that one should apply to?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and sorry about the essay!!!

Cheers,
Asmita

Asmita
Sydney, Australia

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Another evaluation...cheers!!! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 13:39
Expert's post
Asmita83 wrote:
Hi Linda,

I presented Scott with my bacakground however thought it wouldn't hurt to hear your point of view as well. Thanks for taking out the time to do this - I'm amazed I didnt find this forum earlier. Anyway...here is my profile:

Like everyone else...I wonder if you can help me out. I'm an Australian Indian (born in India, brought up in Sydney ), 22 female. I am a little concerned about my age as an applicant but here is my background nonetheless.

- BSc Information Systems (most courses in Australia are 3 years) from University of New South Wales (UNSW). I was offered scholarships for computer engineering at both UNSW and UTS (another great university), however turned it down due to my focus on pursuing my career in an integration of Business with Technology.

- Worked 2 part-time jobs throughout the first two years of my degree (worked in retail as well as in admin for an Indian publicly listed company). In final year of uni (2003) I was offered a full-time job at Toshiba Australia in Business Process Re-engineering. I juggled full time uni with full time work and graduated on time in Nov 2003.

- After 14months in Toshiba, I moved onto Accenture as I felt my career progress in Toshiba was rather limited. At Accenture, I have worked on business proposals, lead the System Integration Test team, and assigned Change Management roles where I deal face to face with clients.

- Extra Activities: Part of a non-profit organisation where we raise funds for not only sick children in Australia, however donate 50% to a charity in India. Other charities: Cancer Council, Heart Foundation and Clean Up Australia. I've been involed in cricket and softball competitively till 2 years ago, due to work commitments and focusing more on charity work. I participate in Dance and Singing performances.

- I speak, read and write in Hindi fluently and have completed Stage I of Mandarin. I learnt Indonesian for 4 years during senior highschool and early university years.

I have yet to take my GMAT however my university score (we dont have GPAs here) is High Credit (71%). My letters of recommendation are being written my a Senior Manager and a Partner from my projects.

My numero uno choice for B-Schools is Kellogg, followed by Duke, NYU, Wharton and CBS.

How do you think my chances are?!??!! How many schools do you recommend that one should apply to?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and sorry about the essay!!!

Cheers,
Asmita

You are a little young, but you do have competitive work experience and should give it and the other schools a try. Wharton has specifically announced a policy to encourage early career applicants. Assuming your GMAT is competitive for these top schools, you will have a competitive profile for these schools.

I normally recommend you apply to 4-6 schools.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog