Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another Profile advice case

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 21:41
Hi Guys, Thanks a lot in advance for your help. I know it’s a little early for me to be thinking about an MBA seeing that I just graduated undergrad. But I would like to get some advice on what you guys think of my profile and what I should be doing in the next 2-3 years to have a good shot at the top 5 business schools. Do you guys think 3 years is very little experience?

My Top choice: Columbia
Schools I like a lot: Duke, Kellogg, Michigan, UVA, Cornell
Depending on improvement of my profile id also like to apply to: Harvard, Chicago, Wharton
Profile: Pakistani male, moved to the US 7 years ago.
Age 21

Recommendation: I can get recomendations from a Columbia Professor and Wharton MBA grad who has been teaching for 3 years and has worked very closely with me in one of my leadership roles

Academics
GMAT: Taking it sometime early next year, expecting between a 690-720.
GPA: 3.35 overall, 3.7 in Finance

Career Goals: Private Equity

Activities and Achievements in college
First 2 years at nw Oklahoma State
- President, Student governing association-youngest president in 101year school history at age 18
- Co-founder of national chapter and co-president, Physics Club
- Treasurer, Academic team
- Cofounder and delegation vice chair, Oklahoma Intercollegiate Legislature

Last 2 years at Rutgers (Worked 40+ hours a week to pay for school)
- Senior Representative, Business Governing association
- Secretary, Little investment bankers of Rutgers
- Alumni Leadership Recognition Award, Awarded to the top 30 leaders at Rutgers University
- Diverse Business Leadership Award, Awarded to the top 15 Business Leaders of Business

Other EC: 6 years at AFPSRD - helped raise money to cure children and adults in pakistan that suffer from polio and raised money to hire professionals to teach polio victims find jobs like sewing etc.

Summer jobs
- Controlling analyst, GPC Biotech
- Unpaid extern, Bear Stearns investment banking
- Wealth management analyst, Merrill Lynch - recieved higest performer award out of 94 interns (MBA and Undergrad interns)

Current Position:
- Global Wealth management analyst, Merrill Lynch -valuate and generate retirement plans (401k, direct benefit etc.) for clients like Honda, Lufthansa airlines etc.
- Co-founder and CEO, Lazerev, Siddiqui & Co. – Provide clients corporate finance and strategic advice, focusing on companies operating or desiring middle eastern exposure

Thanks a lot guys,
Saad Siddiqui

Last edited by saad87pk on 12 Jul 2008, 00:05, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 23:22
Ummm.....OSU was founded on Christmas day 1890...it's 117 years old now, and if you are graduating now (2008), this was either 3 or 4 years ago, it was 113 or 114 years old....not nearly 125. Wouldn't the SGA President know that? I have a ton of friends that went to Oklahoma State.

Furthermore, OIL has been around forever. I visited OIL (my school was too small to have its own group) with a friend of mine spring of 2001. My friend's girlfriend attended OSU at the time and was a delegate for her OIL chapter. How did you co-found something 4 years ago that has been in existence longer than 4 years?

saad87pk wrote:
Hi Guys, Thanks a lot in advance for your help. I know it’s a little early for me to be thinking about an MBA seeing that I just graduated undergrad. But I would like to get some advice on what you guys think of my profile and what I should be doing in the next 2-3 years to have a good shot at the top 5 business schools. Do you guys think 3 years is very little experience?

My Top choice: Columbia
Schools I like a lot: Duke, Kellogg, Michigan, UVA, Cornell
Depending on improvement of my profile id also like to apply to: Harvard, Chicago, Wharton
Profile: Pakistani male, moved to the US 7 years ago.
Age 21

Recommendation: I can get recomendations from a Columbia Professor and Wharton MBA grad who has been teaching for 3 years and has worked very closely with me in one of my leadership roles

Academics
GMAT: Taking it sometime early next year, expecting between a 690-720.
GPA: 3.35 overall, 3.7 in Finance

Career Goals: Private Equity

Activities and Achievements in college
First 2 years at Oklahoma State
- President, Student governing association-youngest president in 125year school history at age 18
- Co-founder of national chapter and co-president, Physics Club
- Treasurer, Academic team
- Cofounder and delegation vice chair, Oklahoma Intercollegiate Legislature

Last 2 years at Rutgers (Worked 40+ hours a week to pay for school)
- Senior Representative, Business Governing association
- Secretary, Little investment bankers of Rutgers
- Alumni Leadership Recognition Award, Awarded to the top 30 leaders at Rutgers University
- Diverse Business Leadership Award, Awarded to the top 15 Business Leaders of Business

Other EC: 6 years at AFPSRD - helped raise money to cure children and adults in pakistan that suffer from polio and raised money to hire professionals to teach polio victims find jobs like sewing etc.

Summer jobs
- Controlling analyst, GPC Biotech
- Nonpaid extern, Bear Stearns investment banking
- Wealth management analyst, Merrill Lynch - recieved higest performer award out of 94 interns (MBA and Undergrad interns)

Current Position:
- Global Wealth management analyst, Merrill Lynch -valuate and generate retirement plans (401k, direct benefit etc.) for clients like Honda, Lufthansa airlines etc.
- Co-founder and CEO, Lazerev, Siddiqui & Co. – Provide clients corporate finance and strategic advice, focusing on companies operating or desiring middle eastern exposure

Thanks a lot guys,
Saad Siddiqui

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 23:29
I should have been more specific i went to northwestern oklahoma state university which was founded in 1883 ... I apologize for the confusion and thats where i started the chapter of oil
SVP
SVP

Re: Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 23:43
Dude, my mom attended Northwestern in Alva back in the early 70s. It was founded in 1897, not 1883. Pretty much the only people that lived in here in 1883 were Native Americans moved here by force. UCO in Edmond is the oldest. It was founded Christmas Eve of 1890, the day before OSU, although some don't consider UCO to have been a "college" at the time because it was mainly started as a teacher's school for the territory since teachers weren't moving here.

saad87pk wrote:
I should have been more specific i went to northwestern oklahoma state university which was founded in 1883 ... I apologize for the confusion and thats where i started the chapter of oil

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Intern
Intern

Re: Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 23:51
Dude I dont know what to say, thats what my handbook says and thats what dean of student affairs Randy Smith acknowledged me as at an alumni dinner in 2005 right before he left. The new Dean, Dean Pecha also knows all about it you can call them and find out
SVP
SVP

Re: Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 23:55
Just be careful what you put on your application or resume as the adcoms will surely check stuff out and if they see 125 year old university started in 1897....so it's 2022 now ?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... _brief.php

saad87pk wrote:
Dude I dont know what to say, thats what my handbook says and thats what dean of student affairs Randy Smith acknowledged me as at an alumni dinner in 2005 right before he left. The new Dean, Dean Pecha also knows all about it you can call them and find out

J Allen Morris

Intern
Intern

Re: Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 00:03
Thanks a lot for the heads up jallenmorris, appreciate your help and advice. Ill change it right away
Intern
Intern

Re: Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2008, 22:08
Paul could you also please put your 2 cents in? Thanks
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 06:53
Expert's post
saad87pk,

Three years of work experience will be fine in terms of qualifying you for admission to most B-schools. And as you know more and more schools are admitting people like yourself right out of undergraduate. The ones they admit are usually distinctively strong applicants. You may be one of those. You do seem to be doing all the right things in terms of high numbers, good summer jobs, strong leadership roles in EC. So just keep doing what you're doing. If your goal is private equity, where the number of available jobs is overwhelmed by the number of interested candidates, it would help you to start building the network, contacts, and professional experiences that would show schools you are one of the people most likely to land one of those coveted PE jobs.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Another Profile advice case [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 07:06
Thanks a lot paul
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43