Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Another what about me question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Another what about me question [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2006, 16:38
Yes, a where do I stand question lies ahead, but you seem like a great resource, so can you tell me my honest chances?

I'm a caucacian woman, aiming for Kellogg, Chicago, UofM (as you can tell, I like the midwest). I took the GMAT and got a 680 (equal percentage in quant and verbal), but I think I'm going to take it again. I recieved a B.S in finance with a 3.3 (slightly lower for my major).

I worked in the accounting department for a small business for a year (so I basically saw how everything worked) before becoming an analyst in corporate america, where besides my job, I'm an active participant in various company development programs. I also am the treasurer of my alumni group, run, and work as a GA in a 12 week leadership course once a year (I would do it more often, but it's difficult to schedule).

I feel I'm in this wierd middle ground. I applied to some of these schools 2 years ago, at which time they said I needed more work experience, though I did get into my undergrad university, which, while it's now my backup and a top 20 program, I'm leaning against going to, as I think I need a more diversified education. I'm not sure if I'm a strong enough candidate to get into the top schools now, though, as I feel I'm weak in extraciriculars, and have not had the most glamorous job experience, though I feel I've progressed well.

Thoughts on my chances? Just looking for a third party opinion.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2006, 08:59
Expert's post
Actually, I think your profile sounds just fine. First of all, a 680 is strong enough to get you into Kellogg and Chicago; don't let anyone tell you differently. I also think that you have more extracurriculars than the average applicant. (You said you're weak in this area... I wonder what someone who's "strong" would look like!) Your GMAT is a tad low, but your work experience is far more important.

It's not clear to me from your post how many years of work experience you have, but those schools were probably right to ding you two years ago for lack of experience. Don't be discouraged. They are very willing to consider reapplicants. As long as you have had some good proression and accomplishments in your career, I think yo uhave a very good chance.

About your safety school... One of the bigest mistakes applicants make is to apply to a school which they're not very fired up about. You don't sound too excited about returning to your alma mater, so don't. I'm also a big advocate of gaining a new experience (i.e., going to a different school).

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2006, 19:23
Scott,

Thanks for your advice. I think one of the reasons I think my extracirriculars are weak is becasue I don't have a lot of volunteer activities to speak of, and so I wonder, are some activities more valued than others, or do schools just want to know that you do things outside of work?

Speaking of, by the time I enter grad school, I'll have worked 5 years, one in accounting, and four as a financial analyst, progressing from a jr analyst to a sr. I'm hoping to continue in corporate finance after graduation, though I worry that I may not have as strong of a finance background or experience as applicants with I-banking or consulting might have. Do you have any advice on how I can differentiate myself, or is having a strong story of where I want to go good the best plan?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2006, 05:57
Expert's post
Re: extracurriculars, adcomms value quality MUCH more than quantity, and it sounds like you have good quality (e.g., taking on leadership positions), so that's an area of strength for you. They're looking for people who get involved, take the lead, etc., and those things will help you there.

I think your career background is fine, considering your plans. Remember that b-school isn't just full of people who are already finance and consulting studs. The majority of people in b-school don't have finance backgrounds. I say stay focused on what you want to do, show how you're different and interested (your extracurriculars and interests), and you'll be fine.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2006, 06:42
Thanks Scott.