Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

any change on GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 06:12
That's the kind of thing that I did not want to happen right before I take the test. :?

I'm taking the gmat on Monday. I'll post my test score and gmat prep scores.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 06:25
Nerdboy wrote:
bhatiagp wrote:
I also relate to this.. My practise test scores were in the range of 740-770. And I got 620 on the actual test...

Can you give a breakdown: Q on practice and on the real test and the same for V?

GMATPREP:- Q: 47-49 Verbal : 44-47

Actual Test: Q : 48 Verbal: 27 AWA 5.5
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 08:37
lumone wrote:
That's the kind of thing that I did not want to happen right before I take the test. :?

I'm taking the gmat on Monday. I'll post my test score and gmat prep scores.

Lumone, you will do fine. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 09:55
bhatiagp wrote:
Nerdboy wrote:
bhatiagp wrote:
I also relate to this.. My practise test scores were in the range of 740-770. And I got 620 on the actual test...

Can you give a breakdown: Q on practice and on the real test and the same for V?

GMATPREP:- Q: 47-49 Verbal : 44-47

Actual Test: Q : 48 Verbal: 27 AWA 5.5

So Verbal is the guilty b-----d then. Did you get any long science passages on the RC?

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Director
Director

Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 09:57
One long science passage, But was fairly simple. RC was my strong point, so it never troubled me...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 12:11
Interesting....

But, from what I remember, most of the post-mortems mentioned they realized what they had skimped on.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 21:40
Bhatia..

Did you have a lot of repeat questions (verbal) in GMATPREP ? Were you nervous during Verbal?
44 to 27 is a huge difference.
Director
Director

Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 22:25
Yes! I did see some repeat questions on GMATPREP , primarily in the SC part, and a few CR's . Probably because many of them were already answered by me on GMATCLUB. So I will agree that yes , my score can be inflated because of seing some questions previously. But by almost 20 points in Verbal is what scares me...

I did solve around 10 sets, with not more than 8 wrong in Verbal, and repeated the OG , with a hit rate of greater than 90% in SC, CR and RC's.

Im unsure of what went wrong in the test. Maybe my first few questions were wrong, and therefore I got an easy Verbal test, which made me feel that Im doing very well, and built a false sense of comfort. Im still not sure, as unlike the GRE, we cant order a score report which shows the sequence of incorrect questions and answers..

Anyways, all I would suggest is do your GMAT PREP well,especially the Quant Section. A lot of repeated questions, some with identical values appeared on my test. Some had different values but exactly identical approach... Its possible these were experimental questions, but in the test every question counts...

Also I dont think I was nervous on the Verbal Section, the first time I took my GMAT in April I got a 35 Verbal, and I was nervous then as I found the Quant to be much harder than what I had prepared for, and that reflected on my Verbal. But this time, I was calm, I felt my quant had gone well , and there was no nervousness when I started the Verbal test... On the contrary , with each question confidence was buildingup, as I saw almost 3 - 4 CRS in the first 5 questions , which made me feel that I am doing well.. This usually happened in GMAT PREP when I did well in quant..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 23:17
I will add to this too. My GMATprep scores were in the 700s but took the actual GMAT last Monday and got 590 (Q47,V25) for the second attempt. I don't know what to do.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 03:21
bhatiagp wrote:
Yes! I did see some repeat questions on GMATPREP , primarily in the SC part, and a few CR's . Probably because many of them were already answered by me on GMATCLUB. So I will agree that yes , my score can be inflated because of seing some questions previously. But by almost 20 points in Verbal is what scares me...

I did solve around 10 sets, with not more than 8 wrong in Verbal, and repeated the OG , with a hit rate of greater than 90% in SC, CR and RC's.

Im unsure of what went wrong in the test. Maybe my first few questions were wrong, and therefore I got an easy Verbal test, which made me feel that Im doing very well, and built a false sense of comfort. Im still not sure, as unlike the GRE, we cant order a score report which shows the sequence of incorrect questions and answers..

Anyways, all I would suggest is do your GMAT PREP well,especially the Quant Section. A lot of repeated questions, some with identical values appeared on my test. Some had different values but exactly identical approach... Its possible these were experimental questions, but in the test every question counts...

Also I dont think I was nervous on the Verbal Section, the first time I took my GMAT in April I got a 35 Verbal, and I was nervous then as I found the Quant to be much harder than what I had prepared for, and that reflected on my Verbal. But this time, I was calm, I felt my quant had gone well , and there was no nervousness when I started the Verbal test... On the contrary , with each question confidence was building up, as I saw almost 3 - 4 CRS in the first 5 questions , which made me feel that I am doing well.. This usually happened in GMAT PREP when I did well in quant..

In my opinion, It is incorrect to compare inflated GMATPREP scores with real scores. Repeat GMATPREP scores can inflate all over the place. Eg. If you get 3-4 700 level difficult repeat questions, you are already well into the 700's . The GMAT myth list published by mba.com(interview) had mentioned that once the computer determines your score band, it may throw out some really easy questions just to get you to complete the test. If GMATPREP is based on a similar simulation, it is possible that once you answer a few repeat 700 questions correct, the band kicks in and you end up with a good inflated score. Only the first GMATPREPs can be a good indicator.

It is also possible that when one subjects to several GMATPREP retakes in the last days before the exam, complacency kicks in because of several repeats. I mean, complacency not related to inflated scores , but related to pacing and concentration.

I am just speculating.
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 05:20
I'm going to be brutally honest and say I really don't think there are changes to the test (at least not sudden changes that should prevent you from scoring well). There are still plenty of people getting good scores on the GMAT (one 750 posted just recently). The percentages show that's the case.

If you're scoring around 700 in GMATPrep, you shouldn't expect that will transfer into a 700 on the real thing. You need to be scoring in the 760 (+/- 10) range. I was consistently scoring around 760 on both GMATPrep and MGMAT when I took the real thing. I went in expecting to score 30 points lower and that was about where I ended up. Now, whether you score 30 points lower or 50 points lower than practice scores I think is probably just a matter of luck. But there are not too many people that absolutely rock the test and score better than what they did in practice (though of course there are exceptions).

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 06:05
I'm one that scored better on the real deal than on practice. My 2 GMATPrep scores were 710 and 710 and the real thing was 720. Now that's not rocking the GMAT compared to the practice tests as you suggested, but it's not the 30 - 50 points lower either.

highhopes wrote:
I'm going to be brutally honest and say I really don't think there are changes to the test (at least not sudden changes that should prevent you from scoring well). There are still plenty of people getting good scores on the GMAT (one 750 posted just recently). The percentages show that's the case.

If you're scoring around 700 in GMATPrep, you shouldn't expect that will transfer into a 700 on the real thing. You need to be scoring in the 760 (+/- 10) range. I was consistently scoring around 760 on both GMATPrep and MGMAT when I took the real thing. I went in expecting to score 30 points lower and that was about where I ended up. Now, whether you score 30 points lower or 50 points lower than practice scores I think is probably just a matter of luck. But there are not too many people that absolutely rock the test and score better than what they did in practice (though of course there are exceptions).

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: HBS '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 16:42
Just to add another data point, I took the exam on august 2nd and got a 770 (Q50, V46). My GMAT Prep scores were much lower as I took them 1 month (710) and 3 weeks (680, also took right after a fight with wifey) before my actual exam and probably didn't try my hardest on them. After I really started studying about 3 weeks before the exam, I was scoring 760 on the GMAT Prep retakes (no math repeats, a lot of verbal repeats). My verbal scores were around 40-42 even with the RC and CR repeats so I was a bit shocked at my actual verbal score. I got a lot of tough RC on the actual exam.

I don't know if the GMAT test has changed, but I'm not even sure if it did the percentile would change that much. Aren't they based on like the last 3 years of GMAT data?
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 16:46
Apparently not since a Q47 went from being 81st p.c. to 79th p.c. within a matter of months.
bball wrote:
Aren't they based on like the last 3 years of GMAT data?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 17:33
they're suppose to be based on 3 years of data (rolling).
If thats true, then the current decrease in percentile is probably much more than it seems :)
I'm guessing if we just look at this year's data, we'll see a Q47 drop to something like a 75% haha.

the AWA % is pretty interesting too - its been dropping so fast! Just a few years ago a 6.0 was 95%. Now its like close to 85% or something haha.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: any change on GMAT? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 17:37
Not funny! They still better consider my Q47 as 80%+ ! :P

jasonc wrote:
they're suppose to be based on 3 years of data (rolling).
If thats true, then the current decrease in percentile is probably much more than it seems :)
I'm guessing if we just look at this year's data, we'll see a Q47 drop to something like a 75% haha.

the AWA % is pretty interesting too - its been dropping so fast! Just a few years ago a 6.0 was 95%. Now its like close to 85% or something haha.
Re: any change on GMAT?   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2008, 17:37