Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

App Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

App Review [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 18:31
Hi,

Would really appreciate your thoughts on my competitiveness for any top 10.

Background: I worked approx. 20 hours a week while I was in undergrad and graduated with a 3.3 CGPA as a finance and economics major. My final year GPA was 3.6. I attended a top Canadian university. I was involved in a few EC's where I had significant leadership positions.

Work Experience: I started in a trading operations role at a global investment bank, where I worked for 1.5 years, I consistently increased my responsibilities within the group, taking on larger accounts etc. My full work experience totals approximately 3.5 years.

GMAT: 740

Post-MBA goal: Front office investment banking role (M&A, distressed debt etc.)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: App Review [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 19:16
Expert's post
Well, you seem to have the proper boxes checked for a run at the top 10. Particularly impressive to have a decent GPA while working your way through a challenging UG program. The banking experience will put you in a pretty deep application pool, but not as many Canadians apply to US schools, so it could help you stand out. The significant leadership positions you mention will likely be a key factor in the top 10, but the key of course will be in the positioning. In the end it's all about being able to present your story in a way which is compelling to the adcoms. Let us know if we can help, or at the very least, make sure you connect with someone you know who went to b-school or is a good enough writer to give critique of your vision and story.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: App Review [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 17:58
Much appreciated. I did forget to add, however relevant, in terms of professional accreditation, I have passed all three levels of the CFA.
In terms of standing out, beyond crafting a convincing story would you say volunteer work assists dramatically in ad com decisions and to what capacity?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: App Review [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 07:36
Expert's post
Volunteering won't help you stand out, but not doing so may help you stand out in a negative way. That's a clever way of saying that most applicants have volunteer or community involvement activities that they participate in, so not having any may throw up a flag. B-schools are looking for driven, passionate and engaged leaders--not just professionally, but personally as well. The theory is that if you are passionate, this will spill over from your vocation and into your life in general. It's more about communicating the kind of person you are rather than what you are doing. Better to drill down deep into one extracurricular activity than to run out and volunteer at a soup kitchen a couple of times, or clean up the park, etc. Those things are important, and if homelessness or dirty parks are your passion, by all means participate in those activities, but the point is, pick something that is important to you and get invovled--really involved. From this perspective, I can answer your original question a bit differently: no, volunteering is not important if it communicates it was done as simple fodder for an application. Hope this helps.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews