Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application from UK Lawyer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Application from UK Lawyer [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2005, 07:43
I am an English lawyer and am interested in applying for the top-tier (HBS, Stanford, Wharton) MBA programs. I have practised corporate law for about 3 years and did a masters of law at Columbia Law School - after my experiences doing largely transactional M&A work, I want to move into corporate strategy/ consulting/ biz development work - largely because it is more interesting that drafting documents for corporate/ strategic decisions that have alreadly been made

Is it common for lawyers to go back to/ apply for b-school and how do the adcoms approach application from lawyers? Do they approach people from the law any different from other applications - are they looking for anything in particular from people with a legal background in terms of work experience?
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2005, 15:19
It's not uncommon. There aren't a ton of lawyers running around b-school campuses, but enough that your application wouldn't raise any strange eyebrows.

I had a lawyer in my section who had studied in the English system. He was a terrific addition to the section and provided insights that no one else in the section could.

I think you'll add a terrific flavor to b-school. One of the keys to your app is explaining why you want the MBA. You just want to make sure that the ad comm don't get the feeling you're applying on a whim. It sounds like you've got that covered.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2005, 02:05
Many thanks for your response!