Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

application strength

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

application strength [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 07:26
GMAT 660
GPA 3.2
AWA - 5
work experience : 2 years project consultant, NGO in Kenya (06-08_
1 year - Strategy Manager, Media, Toronto. (08-present)

Applying to Rotman (U of T)

Any thoughts on chances, and any schools that would be realistic w/ these attributes?
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: application strength [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2009, 13:25
Well, it would be helpful to write in complete sentences rather than just listing a bunch of numbers, unless that is all you are.

Honestly, I don't know. B-schools evaluate individuals, not a bunch of test scores. I don't need your full autobiography here, but some more color would help. If you don't know what to write, take a look at some of the other posters on here who have written out their profile.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: application strength [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 07:39
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Well, it would be helpful to write in complete sentences rather than just listing a bunch of numbers, unless that is all you are.

Honestly, I don't know. B-schools evaluate individuals, not a bunch of test scores. I don't need your full autobiography here, but some more color would help. If you don't know what to write, take a look at some of the other posters on here who have written out their profile.

I see your point,
Somewhat new to the forum, so my apolgies for the lack of clarity. I have a double degree (Hons.) in Poli Sci and Economics from the University of Western Ontario, with final year spent at Charles University in Prague (exchange).

1st 2 years out of school were spent as an international projects coordinator with a development organization in Kenya, doing needs assesment on communities recieving aid, and developing suistainability projects, as well as handling media projects in country. After some political instability in the country, went back to Toronto, to UofT for a certificate program for non-business grads, looking for business understanding. Landed job handling media stragey projects for large media company. Been very involved in areas of social capitol and mass communication, which is what drew me to rotman (for some of their proffessors in these areas, as well as their Dean)

Decent Undergrad marks (80% +/-)
Gmat - 660
Verbal - 41
Qu - 40
AWA - 6 (i had listed 5 before)

Does this help provide some clarity?

Re: application strength [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 16:00
You have an interesting professional background. Your only potential area of concern is your GMAT quant (your GPA is not great, but it's not low enough to be a red flag that you need to address it).

In any case, you should be competitive for Rotman with what you have (i.e. you don't need to re-take your GMAT unless you feel you can significantly boost your quant score without much effort).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Re: application strength [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 06:39
Thanks again for providing your insight.

Based on this information, are there any schools outside of Canada, preferably in the Top 20 rankings (U.S or Europe) that I would have a competetive application for?

Your insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: application strength [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 08:15
What are you looking to do post-MBA?

Your GMAT is going to be an issue at any decent US school, particularly your quant score. Unless you boost that score, you're going to be on the margins.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: application strength   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2009, 08:15