Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application Volume....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Application Volume.... [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 11:44
Just spent sometime reading some mindless posts at b-week and browsing through admissions411.

Just curious to know what you guys think or have heard regarding the increase in volume? I know its a futile exercise but just for the heck of it...

I think it will be a 0-5% increase :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 11:57
Judging by the past years I would say depending on the schools 0-10% and some demographics will be much much higher. Seems to be that asians and indians are growing at a far greater rate than any other groups. The recent challenges posed by the visa issues will be interesting to see if that factors in.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 12:09
I think the big factors would be:

1. How internationals treat the Visa issue- if people dont care, then you would find a significant bump in the number of applicants
2. The fallout from the slightly flat-weak economy in the US

I am not sure how it was last year, but if you take a look at the b0week forums, the school specific threads are not very active. Either the number of users at b-week has dropped significantly (yay! GMATclub!) or the number of applicants (especially the domestics) have decreased.

The number of GMAT takers has increased YoY but I tend to believe that the number is stacked for the late part of last year AND an increase in the number of re-takes. I would say that almost 40% of test takes seem to be re-testers.

Also, I am not sure in other parts of the country, but in the midwest, the number of people looking into PT programs is also increasing. This would lend itself a little to the increase in the GMAT test takers as well.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 13:06
I read some data last March from one of the schools I visited which specified that most of the increases in applications came from applicants applying to more schools than more unique applicants. The info was within an article urging students to help sway admitted students to school X, as those students were likely to have more choices.

L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 13:28
I think that people are definitely applying to a lot more schools because it seems to be such a random luck of the draw at times. You see people who get into HBS but not Tuck. Talking with a prof. of mine from college who graduated with his MBA in the late 80s he only applied to Chicago and Wharton. Applying to 2-3 schools seemed to be very common years ago, now I think its more likely that someone applies to 8 schools than 2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1514 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 14:14
I probably can't say the figure publicly, but, apps at the GSB are estimated to be way way up. No real surprises there.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 14:18
GSB is not a surprise- it is THE hottest school so it should see huge increase in apps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 15:21
rhyme wrote:
I probably can't say the figure publicly, but, apps at the GSB are estimated to be way way up. No real surprises there.

estimated by whom?
do you think R2 will see the biggest percentage increase?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1514 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 16:55
CookieMonster wrote:
rhyme wrote:

estimated by whom?

I don't feel comfortable saying more about it... I'm not sure whats public and what isn't at this point. I'll ask..... if it turns out to be public info, I'll share.

As for % increase, I think it will be pretty evenly distributed among the rounds - plus or minus some "error" due to chance. But honestly, thats just conjecture on my part.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 17:22
Dammn you rhyme...at least let us have a few months of imagining everyone else decided to wait until next year to apply. Maybe this winter will be like -40 in New England and Chicago, and everyone will be applying to california and the southeast instead.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 17:28
i thought id have a little break after my last r1 app, but now i have to get serious about r2 apps...chances at chi/w/mit are slim :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 17:34
ohh great..
:(

rhyme wrote:
CookieMonster wrote:
rhyme wrote:

estimated by whom?

I don't feel comfortable saying more about it... I'm not sure whats public and what isn't at this point. I'll ask..... if it turns out to be public info, I'll share.

As for % increase, I think it will be pretty evenly distributed among the rounds - plus or minus some "error" due to chance. But honestly, thats just conjecture on my part.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 17:35
dabots wrote:
i thought id have a little break after my last r1 app, but now i have to get serious about r2 apps...chances at chi/w/mit are slim :(

I have my R1 apps spread from mid Oct to mid Nov I am hoping for a week or two before even thinking about R2.
  [#permalink] 18 Oct 2007, 17:35