Joined: 16 May 2012
, given: 2
Profile Eval Please! (atleast say weak/strong) [#permalink]
22 May 2012, 18:38
[highlight]Please leave atleast a feedback whether my profile is weak or strong.[/highlight]
1) Basic demographic info:
age : 32
gender : M
nationality : India
2) Educational Background:
undergrad major : Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical & Electronics)
GPA : 67% (I'm not making the coversion, the topper scored 87%)
GMAT score : Attempt 1 - 660(Q46,V35,AWA5.5) ; Attempt 2 - 740(Q49,V42,AWA6.0)
any grad work you've done -
"Elected" Vice Head Boy of the school in the pre-final high school yr (11th grade)
Topped in 2 subjects and overall ranked 5th in high school (12th grade)
Ranked 1127 of the more than 100,000 candidates who appeared for the State engineering entrance examination
- Not an exceptional academic record in college (the topper scored 87%).
- Active in dramatics club, NSS (National Service Scheme),
- I was the department association coordinator - The association is run by the students for the students, invites industry experts for speeches, conducts programs to promote awareness about further education and job opportunities. Basically meets every week and run by the 4th year students.
- Was the "blood cell" secretary for the college. Any requests for blood donation from the local hospitals were handled by me.
- Was one of the 3 placement coordinators for the EEE department. Part of the job was to visit companies and invite them for campus interviews.
3) Work experience:
For how long have you worked?
9 yrs as of now (will be 10 yrs by the time I matriculate)
4 Yrs in India, 5 Yrs in USA
What industry do you work in?
Information Technology/IT services (Outsourced Model)
what is your current role?
Consultant for a Mortgage Servicing product working to establish QA as a practice in the IT division of a leading bank. Have been working on the product for a long time now in different roles - worked as a Programmer for 3 yrs, then worked at the client location as coordinator for the onsite-offshore model, as the onsite lead for the entire offshore engagement (a team of 50), as a business analyst to develop a consumer website integrated with the product and to provide training on the website to the customer service departments at two banks that implemented the website. Of late, I've been learning a lot of mortgage origination too!
Have you had any promotions?
- Have been in the current organization for 5 and half yrs now. Promoted 4 times, with a consistent performance rating (Actually my promotion timeline graph looks almost like a straight line at 45 degrees)
4) Extracurriculars: do you participate in any extra-curricular activities? What is your role there? For how long have you been involved?
- Was a regular member of the table tennis weekly round robin tourney - in the small city that I used to stay
- Moved to a bigger city and now part of the city's major cricket club. I'm one of the opening bowlers (similar to an "ace" "power pitcher" in baseball)
Social Activities - Not much...
- Have been active with the "Habitat for Humanity" every spring to participate in repairing houses (organized by the local church)
5) Short/Long term goals: what do you want to do after your MBA? Any geographic preferences?
- I'd like to continue working in the financial services sector. Having worked in IT services side of the financial services domain, I'm interested in learning how financial institutions choose a financial service, what factors influence their decision in choosing a service, how does one perform market research and provide the institution with the options to solve its business challenges and I believe an MBA will help me obtain a holistic view of how all of these work together. If this sounds like "Consulting", I'm yet to find out what people really do in the consulting business (I find this lack of knowledge very unsettling because I believe I might sound unconvincing in the apps or the interviews).
In the long term, I'd like to move from "consultancy for the service" to "creating the service" to solve an institution's business challenges.
6) Schools: Which schools have you considered already? Any on your initial short list?
Haven't considered any schools yet because I haven't done my "school-fit" research yet. However I have Booth, LBS and Kellog in mind right now.
7) Recommendations: Have you already shortlisted recommenders? How well do they know you? Can they write strong recos for you?
Yes, I have schortlisted a few although I'm not sure how to approach them (all of them work in the same company).
- A VP with whom I've directly interacted only a few times however he knows my work and how I performed for the last 5 years. He's a Wharton alumnus.
- A VP (business partner) to whom I reported (indirectly) for more than year (2 yrs ago) was very appreciative about my work. I can talk to him personally to provide a striong reco for this life changing event!
- My current supervisor is an AVP who is a little lethargic but can provide a strong reco too. However I'm not so sure how to approach him.