Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are laptops allowed during class at your school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Are you allowed to regularly use your laptops in class?

• 53% [16]
  • 46% [14]
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Are laptops allowed during class at your school? [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 20:37
This question goes back to my school-visiting days, but also relates to my current experiences. Long story short: some schools allow their students to use their laptops while in class (ideally to use Excel along with the lecture or take notes in Word, etc.) while other schools don't (to prevent abuse).

I believe each option has its pros and cons, but I've personally found the abuse of having laptops in class quite discouraging at at least one of the schools I visited (some students were so absorbed by the thing that they weren't following the case discussion at all). I still don't know whether that situation was a school or date specific exception, so I'd like if you'd share some thoughts on the issue.

Start by answering the poll and if you want to, please share the school name, the current policy and any other comments.

Thanks. L.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 01:54
Laptops are allowed (with the exception of one leadership class we had), but they turn off internet access during class. I think it's really important to be able to use excel during class, so you can adjust any models you have based on class discussion. It's easier to follow what is going on and learn if you can adjust your models right away, and I think you'd lose part of the class because their preparation wasn't perfect.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual whether they want to be engaged in class.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 13:05
pelihu wrote:
Laptops are allowed (with the exception of one leadership class we had), but they turn off internet access during class. I think it's really important to be able to use excel during class, so you can adjust any models you have based on class discussion. It's easier to follow what is going on and learn if you can adjust your models right away, and I think you'd lose part of the class because their preparation wasn't perfect.

Ultimately, it's up to the individual whether they want to be engaged in class.

Yeah - pelihu and I are in the same section at Darden - laptops are a huge part of the class. They can prove to be a distraction sometimes, but with class contribution being such a major part of the grading here you have to avoid getting absorbed into PC land.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 13:34
No laptops at Duke, and I like it. I find notes are easier to take by hand - so much easier to circle something, draw an arrow, create quick columns, etc. And I have found that taking notes on PC can be distracting in and of itself - I end up spending time on formatting, rather than just writing stuff down.

If you've got a tablet and are going to use the tablet part, some profs will let you use that.

If you're going to have a laptop, i think that killing the internet is a must. A friend who was a law student said that most students spent tons of time writing emails, IMing, etc.
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 14:15
I know that I haven't been accepted anywhere yet, but during my visit to Emory I was informed that they do not allow the use of laptops during class.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1544 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 15:22
Varies by class....
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 15:39
Johnson doesn't allow it

I believe Stern doesn't allow it as well.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 17:23
Depends on the class. Leadership and strategy definately not.

Stats, Accounting and Economics, yes but we MUST disconnect from the net.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 17:30
I would also like to add that a few people in our program seem to have very little trouble getting by without a notebook PC. They are coordinating everything (rather efficiently) via on campus labs, a home PC and an iPhone. We were all stunned to see a powerpoint presentation conducted through such a tiny device.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2007, 22:22
I think it would literally be impossible to get by here without a laptop. It's just so ingrained into every part of the program.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with pelihu...
In Darden using no laptop would be impossible, even more in boring classes, you never know when will you need to play solitaire... ahahaha

It is actually quite important specially when you need to change stuff in spreadsheets. And OneNote does a great job!
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2007, 20:10
kidderek is right - bar accountancy you will get crap for having a laptop on, as the profs voted against it. It varies class by class, but typically is "no".

Considering you get fined $25 for your phone ringing in another class, and get locked out if you are late, the no laptop rule is kinda subtle.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 11:39
Allowed to use laptops at Northeastern Univ
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 12:58
At Tuck nearly everyone seemed to use them. A laptop is part of the 1st year fees so everyone has them and their entire campus has wifi.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 14:44
No laptops in any class at LBS
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 17:51
Laptops are allowed in all classes. You definitely need them in some but classes I think they are just a distraction.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 12:47
In the one class that I have where laptops are allowed, probably like 5% of the class is actually paying attention to the class, the rest are emailing thank-you notes to recruiters and working on their fantasy football lineup. I stopped bringing my laptop to this class because it's too distracting, like trying to study with a TV on in the same room.

I'm surprised to hear that some people think they're so indispensable in class, the only type of class I can imagine where they would be helpful would be a class where you're learning some sort of modeling in Excel. How is exactly is a laptop helpful in a finance class or a strategy class or a management/leadership class?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2007, 03:46
Hello,

I visited a class at HEC Paris and Laptops were allowed.

Pro: it's always useful to check a concept on the internet
Con: some students were more interesting in playing games than in following the class.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 11:07
Everyone at Vandy has a laptop, but we are rarely allowed to use them in class. The only class I've had so far where we can regularly use a laptop is Stats.

It's a bit of a pain since I prefer typing my notes rather than writing them, but I guess it keeps everyone involved in discussions.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 23:23
eazyb81 wrote:
Everyone at Vandy has a laptop, but we are rarely allowed to use them in class. The only class I've had so far where we can regularly use a laptop is Stats.

It's a bit of a pain since I prefer typing my notes rather than writing them, but I guess it keeps everyone involved in discussions.

You guys written your ANOVA report yet? That was pretty fun stuff eh?
  [#permalink] 28 Nov 2007, 23:23