Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask IndusMinds

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 20:44
An Indian engineer details his experiences and the strategies he used to score a whopping 760 on the GMAT in just 2 months. Through meticulous planning and by not leaving anything to chances, you can maximize your score.

This GMATTER segmented his errors into silly and conceptual errors and kept working on them until he got it right. It's a wonderfully different way of solving the GMAT Puzzle and will definitely be a great read for those running short on prep time…. Read full article here.

Best,
Priya | Admission Consultant | Email: contactus@indusminds.com
IndusMinds Consulting | Free Initial Consultation
BusinessWeek Interview on Essay Writing Services

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 09:49
I have been a long-time reader of gmatclub but only now have reached right stage to apply for MBA. Resources here have helped me a lot. I request you for evaluating my profile.

I am an Indian IT male looking for application review service.

10th: 87%
12: 86%

Engineering from NIT Warangal in 2006, passed with 72% marks.

In college, had many extra-curricular activities. Chief organizer of college fest, and head HR and Technical for college fest for 2 years. Also led hostel mess committee for ensuring proper food hygience etc. to students. Worked on good technical projects, including electronic data gatherer which also won some awards in national technical competitions like VJTI etc.

Social work: Worked for two years for NGO providing helping poor children with schooling. Also volunteered time to teach maths occasionally. Have certificates and can show.

Sports: Played cricket for college team and have participated for office events also for last three years.

Professional: Working for last six years, will be seven in July 2013, in Infosys in the investment banking domain. Worked extensively on banking and capital markets applications for last four years, and before that worked on coding for core financial accounting applications. Have worked onsite for 1 year in Cincinnati, USA. Got many awards, including team awards for my performance over last six years. Chosen to lead development for core applications of large wall street client.

GMAT: 690, AWA 5, IR 6

I want to apply for colleges starting in fall 2013. Can anyone please evaluate my profile?

Thanking you,
Suresh
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 19:26
Suresh,
You have few strong points namely:
NIT Warangal - Good school and good score
Co-Curricular activities: Seems you have some decent exposure. It all depends on what were your driving factors in all these activities? What did you learn from these experiences? Also no one is going to ask you for your certificates so keep them safe in your locker. It's about your experience and not your certificates..
Work Ex: Good exposure specially your onsite experience. I hope you have more than just coding or program management experience.

There are some concerns as well:
GMAT: Your GMAT is average for an Indian IT applicant. If you can increase it by atleast 30 points then you can think about it else don't worry about it. Your effort might be better spent in crafting a stellar application.
Age: You are inching towards being an older applicant with eight years of experience at the time of matriculation. This might be the last chance to gain an admission into a top business school.

And some open questions:
Why do you want to do an MBA? Why now?
What are your post-MBA career goals?

From 30,000 feet level, you can realistically aim at schools in 20-30 rank range. If you have a carefully crafted application then you can aim a little higher.

Feel free to contact us for a free 30 minute chat if you have further questions.

suresh4gmat wrote:
I have been a long-time reader of gmatclub but only now have reached right stage to apply for MBA. Resources here have helped me a lot. I request you for evaluating my profile.

I am an Indian IT male looking for application review service.

10th: 87%
12: 86%

Engineering from NIT Warangal in 2006, passed with 72% marks.

In college, had many extra-curricular activities. Chief organizer of college fest, and head HR and Technical for college fest for 2 years. Also led hostel mess committee for ensuring proper food hygience etc. to students. Worked on good technical projects, including electronic data gatherer which also won some awards in national technical competitions like VJTI etc.

Social work: Worked for two years for NGO providing helping poor children with schooling. Also volunteered time to teach maths occasionally. Have certificates and can show.

Sports: Played cricket for college team and have participated for office events also for last three years.

Professional: Working for last six years, will be seven in July 2013, in Infosys in the investment banking domain. Worked extensively on banking and capital markets applications for last four years, and before that worked on coding for core financial accounting applications. Have worked onsite for 1 year in Cincinnati, USA. Got many awards, including team awards for my performance over last six years. Chosen to lead development for core applications of large wall street client.

GMAT: 690, AWA 5, IR 6

I want to apply for colleges starting in fall 2013. Can anyone please evaluate my profile?

Thanking you,
Suresh

Best,

Manager
Manager

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 23:10
In this week's blog post we discuss the big question: "Whether to apply to MBA programs and is now a good time?" through the stories of two MBA aspirants SuperGMAT and MBADream, both of whom had stellar GMAT scores and great academic and professional credentials. SG and MD have today made a name for themselves in the business world, however one of them did it without an MBA.

Like SuperGMAT and MBADream, almost everyone goes through a stressful process of making the big decision-whether to apply to business schools. More often than not, this is an impulsive decision and ends up not being a very thought through decision. There are too many variables involved in this decision making and addressing the most critical ones should help you take the final call.

Click here to read the full article.

Best,

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 18:41
I would grateful if you could please evaluate my profile and please suggest me whether the schools i have mentioned are at

par and what could be other schools where i could apply. my profile is as follows

GMAT 700(Q49,V35)
GPA 79% Computer Science Engineering
WE 4.5 years in IT(TCS) with diverse experience given below
worked in research and development team , technologies such as RFID and presently working in Insurance domain.

in research and development had the experience of working in some innovative projects such as TV Audience

Measurement in real time and Context Aware Recommender System ,both these projects started of as mere ideas

(trying to capitalise on stuff which had not been explored as of yet ) and became full projects which were

presented in front of client , the Trp project was presented infront of ACNeilson(a big advertisment company)

which helped my company win a big bid with the company and they also agreed to colaborate with us on future R&D

endevours .Also from each of these 2 projects i have under my name 2 publications in well known international

conferences and 2 patents filed, we have our papers published on IEEEExplore and a mere search is enough to find

us there.
I was also a part of not only the development and testing of these projects but also mots of the customer

interaction as well , i was assigned form my project with the added role of presenting /demonstrating in front,

getting their feedback etc of the client due to my good communication skills .We also one the best team award for

the Trp project and got certificates for the same.

After that i have been working as a performance test engineer in Insurance domain and have been looking at the

performance aspect of our solution for not only my project but also the various projects using the same product ,

i have also worked on development, customization and also functional testing to some extent .
I have also been an active member of some clubs which affiliate in communication,debate etc and have a few

certificates .
I have been working with some important people in my organization and as i move ahead to oversee a lot more

project i am sure that an mba degree will certainly help to not only hone my skills in areas such as

leadership,consulting etc but also increase the knowledge required to take on bigger roles in organizations.

I am applying in R1 this year and want to know my chances in the following schools

1 ISB
2 NUS
3 Dardon
4 Johnson
5 Tepper
6 Ross
7 Hass
8 NTU

please advise whether these schools are ok to apply to considering my profile my chances ,and what could be good

schools to apply to other than these , also any suggestions on how to improve my profile , also please suggest

whether i need to join some NGO for applying to US schools and how important can certifications be .

Thanks for the help in advance
Awaiting replies eagerly

Thanks and regards ,
Sidd
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 20:43
How to Plan your application cycle?

This week's blog post is geared towards helping you draft an application strategy. They key is-‘Plan in advance for whichever round you are targeting’. The effort needed to draft compelling application can be overwhelming and many a times applicants don’t realize what they are signing up for. The key to increase your chances of success in this process is to break the process down into steps and ensure that you execute each step to the best of your abilities.

Click here to read full article.

Best,

Manager
Manager

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 17:34
siddharth86 wrote:
I would grateful if you could please evaluate my profile and please suggest me whether the schools i have mentioned are at

par and what could be other schools where i could apply. my profile is as follows

GMAT 700(Q49,V35)
GPA 79% Computer Science Engineering
WE 4.5 years in IT(TCS) with diverse experience given below
worked in research and development team , technologies such as RFID and presently working in Insurance domain.

in research and development had the experience of working in some innovative projects such as TV Audience

Measurement in real time and Context Aware Recommender System ,both these projects started of as mere ideas

(trying to capitalise on stuff which had not been explored as of yet ) and became full projects which were

presented in front of client , the Trp project was presented infront of ACNeilson(a big advertisment company)

which helped my company win a big bid with the company and they also agreed to colaborate with us on future R&D

endevours .Also from each of these 2 projects i have under my name 2 publications in well known international

conferences and 2 patents filed, we have our papers published on IEEEExplore and a mere search is enough to find

us there.
I was also a part of not only the development and testing of these projects but also mots of the customer

interaction as well , i was assigned form my project with the added role of presenting /demonstrating in front,

getting their feedback etc of the client due to my good communication skills .We also one the best team award for

the Trp project and got certificates for the same.

After that i have been working as a performance test engineer in Insurance domain and have been looking at the

performance aspect of our solution for not only my project but also the various projects using the same product ,

i have also worked on development, customization and also functional testing to some extent .
I have also been an active member of some clubs which affiliate in communication,debate etc and have a few

certificates .
I have been working with some important people in my organization and as i move ahead to oversee a lot more

project i am sure that an mba degree will certainly help to not only hone my skills in areas such as

leadership,consulting etc but also increase the knowledge required to take on bigger roles in organizations.

I am applying in R1 this year and want to know my chances in the following schools

1 ISB
2 NUS
3 Dardon
4 Johnson
5 Tepper
6 Ross
7 Hass
8 NTU

please advise whether these schools are ok to apply to considering my profile my chances ,and what could be good

schools to apply to other than these , also any suggestions on how to improve my profile , also please suggest

whether i need to join some NGO for applying to US schools and how important can certifications be .

Thanks for the help in advance
Awaiting replies eagerly

Thanks and regards ,
Sidd

Sidd,
Your data points are decent and your work experience has some good success stories and technologies which are good to have such as RFID, couple of patents/publications. Your GMAT score is OK (you might be short of about 10-20 points from the average of top 20 schools and being an Indian IT applicant further aggravates this). Do you have any plans for another attempt at GMAT? Go for a retake only if you are confident of getting close to 750 else it is not worth the effort.

NGO at this point in time is fruitless and might do more harm than good (adcom can clearly see through your intention of gaining some browny points for MBA admissions). Your time and effort is better spent in researching more about schools and networking with alumni/student on these schools.

You haven't mentioned your post-MBA career goals. The school list should be narrowed down based on your career goals. Not every school is good in everything and their USP should align with your ambitions. In general, top 15-30 schools would be a decent target list in your case. You need to have a clear idea of your long term career goal, why MBA and why a particular school to turn the tides in your favor.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Best,

Manager
Manager

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 23:24
You are probably in the midst of preparing your applications but still struggling with several burning questions.
Is MBA for you?
How to ace the GMAT?
Still wondering which schools to apply?
Does your career goals goal make sense?
Wondering about fellowship vs rank?
Wondering about whether to apply in R1 vs R2?
Or the most important question: How to plan your application cycle?

IndusMinds offers free 30 minute consultation so utilize this opportunity to get an expert opinion. Drop us an email at contactus@indusminds.com

Best,

Manager
Manager

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 20:51
Resume is one of the most critical components of an MBA application and is often the most ignored one.

Resume speaks volumes about one's breadth and depth of experience and is a good indicator for one's potential to be a corporate leader post-MBA. Resume also serves as the basis of the MBA admission interview.

Needless to say a weak resume is a recipe for disaster. Here is a exhaustive list of to dos which you have to keep in mind to create that stellar resume you always wanted.

Best,

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.33
WE: Engineering (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 11:55
Hi,
I would like to know whether you work with Indian Clients. If so, are the school pricing similar to those mentioned on your Website?
I am an Indian Male Aspirant. GMAT 710 (Q49V37) and GPA 3.33. I have applied to three schools so far CBS, MIT and HBS. In R2, I plan to apply to two more schools - Booth and Stanford.

Thanks

Vishwa

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 21:02
Hi IndusMinds,

Great post!

I am thinking of applying to HBS, Kellogg, Sloan, and Haas in round 3. Can you please tell me whether it is doable? Or I am out of my mind?

My profile is:

Academic:
(1) 3.0 undergraduate GPA in a top Australian university.
(2) 3.86 GPA from Boston College, Master in Finance, Beta Gamma Sigma member.
(3) GMAT: not yet, first mock exam is 700.

Work experience:
(1) 3 years audit at KPMG China
(2) summer intern at a top investment bank in China
(3) currently co-founder of a small e-commerce firm based in Seattle.

Extra curriclm:
(1) professional athlete with provincial champion and national award
(2) student ambassador, founder of a student club during undergraduate study.

Purpose of MBA:
-- I want to do MBA because I feel in love with marketing side of the business while i was running this e-commerce firm. I love doing marketing things much more than running the whole firm. I want to concentrate on marketing, get an MBA, then get into big companies and become a marketing expert.

Thank you very much for your time. I'm glad that I found this post.
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask IndusMinds [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2014, 19:51
You want to apply to a school but you are not sure if it's in your reach?
Your experience has been in IT and you want to switch to finance but are not clear on how to approach the essays?
Are you breaching 30 and wondering if you have missed the boat?

For many such questions, contact us for a free profile evaluation and a chat with one of our team members at http://www.indusminds.com or send us an email at contactus@indusminds.com

With several admits with $$$ to top schools such as Tuck, Insead, UCLA, Duke etc, we have helped many Indian applicants craft stories which helped them not only get an admit but also top $$$.

We look forward to answering your questions.

Best,

Re: Ask IndusMinds   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2014, 19:51