Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 02:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 01:52
sandydiwan wrote:
Thanks for the input .. I am providing some more details of my work experience for your reference .

I am a technical project manager having managed teams of various sizes , ranging from 2 to 15 at client side to 30 folks in India . My domain is in the area of Media and Telecom .
My career progression has been like this
Developer -> Module Lead - > Project Lead -> Project Manager .

In my most recent project at client end , the client was very hostile and was not very convinced with the idea of outsouring work . But after letting an entry in his area , I along with my team worked bottom up to win the confidence of his team and later on his attitude towards us changed 180 degrees .
I also played the role of business analyst in which I used to interact with the heads of various organizations .

I am also doing pre sales work for getting new work and building teams for new projects .

Also am anchor for some initiatives taken for employee mentoring for the vertical that I am part of .

Hope this helps you in evaluating my work ex better .

Thanks
Sandy

Dear Sandy,

Now let me divide your explanation into separate pockets.

Sector: Media/Telecom. TO DO: Highlight your expertise in these fields.When you mention achievements, start from the overal impact from the business side and then what you did to attain that. Eg: Achieved a cost reduction of 20% by ....

Growth progression: You have the career progression essay. Be sure that you mention how you assumed a lot of responsibilities in a short while.

In my most recent project at client end , the client was very hostile and was not very convinced with the idea of outsouring work . But after letting an entry in his area , I along with my team worked bottom up to win the confidence of his team and later on his attitude towards us changed 180 degrees .

Can be a good pointer towards your leadership abilities at work. You can develop this incident keeping in mind the Context-Action-Result-Learning format.

The work experience, overall, looks very decent.

ThinkISB

EMAIL: contact@thinkisb.com
PHONE: +91 9010917222 / 9010918222

Read our blog: http://www.thinkisb.com/blog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/thinkisb
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thinkisb

ThinkAdmit

EMAIL: info@thinkadmit.com
PHONE: +91 7838998299

Read our blog | Ask ThinkAdmit
Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 06:44
i have put in 5 years in the indian army . i am yet to appear for the gmat but i hope to score at least 690 going by my current performance in the diagnostic tests. what are my prospects of making it to the isb.?

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 09:26
sashmitab wrote:
i have put in 5 years in the indian army . i am yet to appear for the gmat but i hope to score at least 690 going by my current performance in the diagnostic tests. what are my prospects of making it to the isb.?

Dear sashmitab,

I need more information on your profile.

Regards,

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 22:11
a brief about me.......

I am a Chartered Accountant and a Company Secretary working in a corporate finance division of a PSU bank as manager since last 4 years. I have been engaged here since 2007 when the division started with a 15 member team. We have skyrockted our business from scratch to Rs26000crores and profit of RS650 crores in 3 years time.

Prior to above I was selected by IBM as consultant but opted to quit and joined bank to pursue my interests in corporate finance. My JOB entails financial analysis, legal documentation, large credit appraisals, industry analysis , RISK analysis etc.

I have also been certified in financials module of SAP (erp) from SAP AG Germany and am a certified associate from Indian Institute of Bankers.

I did my articles (CA) from a well renowned firm (Big4) and an industrial training with a BSE listed industrial product manufacturing company (1yr).

My Gmat score is decent (680) but I plan to retake before applying in round1. There was some technical problem during exam and GMAC has permitted me to retake.

I have my business of investing in stock markets as well wherein I have earned some serious good millions in last 2 years. I have employed 3 graduates under me to get the work done. All decisions are taken by me.

I have some decent ECs as well but most of them pertain to school time.

Apart from above I have had some unique experiences such as
1. Faught a divorce without a marriage
2. failed without a failure

Would love to hear from you about my profile. I am interested in M&A or PE post MBA.

Thanks

Sandeep

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 05:29
mustdoit wrote:
a brief about me.......

I am a Chartered Accountant and a Company Secretary working in a corporate finance division of a PSU bank as manager since last 4 years. I have been engaged here since 2007 when the division started with a 15 member team. We have skyrockted our business from scratch to Rs26000crores and profit of RS650 crores in 3 years time.

Prior to above I was selected by IBM as consultant but opted to quit and joined bank to pursue my interests in corporate finance. My JOB entails financial analysis, legal documentation, large credit appraisals, industry analysis , RISK analysis etc.

I have also been certified in financials module of SAP (erp) from SAP AG Germany and am a certified associate from Indian Institute of Bankers.

I did my articles (CA) from a well renowned firm (Big4) and an industrial training with a BSE listed industrial product manufacturing company (1yr).

My Gmat score is decent (680) but I plan to retake before applying in round1. There was some technical problem during exam and GMAC has permitted me to retake.

I have my business of investing in stock markets as well wherein I have earned some serious good millions in last 2 years. I have employed 3 graduates under me to get the work done. All decisions are taken by me.

I have some decent ECs as well but most of them pertain to school time.

Apart from above I have had some unique experiences such as
1. Faught a divorce without a marriage
2. failed without a failure

Would love to hear from you about my profile. I am interested in M&A or PE post MBA.

Thanks

Sandeep

Dear Sandeep,

Your profile is very impressive indeed.

AH: 'Fair'. 680 is also a good score for you. Since you have been in the analytics space it would be easier to show the adcom that you are good with numbers. Your LORs should also mention that.

Work Ex: 'Strong'. I see a really good progression here. You knew what you wanted to do and took steps to get those. Your experiences of running the investment business would appeal a lot to the adcom.

Diversity: Explain the unusual experiences. We are all eager to hear. I believe they would be interesting too.

You are a strong candidate and I encourage you to apply.

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate- Low GMAT, Diverse Work Ex [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 10:10
Hey ThinkISB,

My profile is as below,

GMAT-610(44,33) :(
BE Mechanical from Pune University

Distinction ( above 66% ) and GPA of 3.4

Work Exp - Total will be 4 yrs till 2011

2 yrs with Larsen & Toubro in the International Sales and Marketing division for Downstream Oil & Gas Sector

Handled the African region, Traveled extensively throughout East African countries like Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda etc.

Handled a pool of 3 Service Engineers strategically located in the East Africa region for providing After Sales Service- reporting directly to me.

Key member in the introduction of Low cost pumps designed to target the African Market.

Introduced Petrol Pump peripheral equipments like Automation, Flexible piping and thus handled the complete product basket necessary for managing the Downstream Retail Oil Business.

Spares management and minimizing the expenses on warranty support.

Worked with Independent Oil Companies as well as National and Multinational Oil Companies. Besides these handled the Channel Partners in different East African Countries and ensured Business expansion in Volumes as well as Profits.

Maintaining and releasing MIS Reports for reporting to the Top management.

Ensuring regular follow up and ensured better Debtor Management.

2 yrs- Started my own venture aimed at providing Consultancy to SME's (Managing Director)

Roal Associates Pvt Ltd is a start up providing Sales & Marketing Consultancy Services to SME's in and around Pune.

Presently, we are working as Business Development Partners for a Organic Fertilizer Manufacturing company and handling their business development operations in Satara & Pune district of Maharashtra state in India.

Currently we are working on introducing the concept of "Sustenable Farming" and promoting the same in the Indian Villages

The goal of the company is to be a top management consulting firm for SME’s at global level.
The goal to align technology to agriculture and revolutionize farming in India
Investing in Africa for practicing Sustainable Farming .

Please evaluate my profile..

Thanks,

Sushant
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 21:17
thinkISB wrote:
mustdoit wrote:

Dear Sandeep,

Your profile is very impressive indeed.

AH: 'Fair'. 680 is also a good score for you. Since you have been in the analytics space it would be easier to show the adcom that you are good with numbers. Your LORs should also mention that.

Work Ex: 'Strong'. I see a really good progression here. You knew what you wanted to do and took steps to get those. Your experiences of running the investment business would appeal a lot to the adcom.

Diversity: Explain the unusual experiences. We are all eager to hear. I believe they would be interesting too.

You are a strong candidate and I encourage you to apply.

ThinkISB

Thanks THINKISB for your great inputs. Sure these experiences would be interesting to you but for me they have been life changing events. One of a kind. I would love to share these but not here in a public domain. Hope you understand. U can give an alternate private mail so that i can send you the details there.

One more thing. I dont have any significant ECs to dwell on. Few sports activities at school and college level. Nothing beyond that. Can you please throw a light as to how can i strengthen this part of my application.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate- Low GMAT, Diverse Work Ex [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 00:27
sushant17 wrote:
Hey ThinkISB,

My profile is as below,

GMAT-610(44,33) :(
BE Mechanical from Pune University

Distinction ( above 66% ) and GPA of 3.4

Work Exp - Total will be 4 yrs till 2011

2 yrs with Larsen & Toubro in the International Sales and Marketing division for Downstream Oil & Gas Sector

Handled the African region, Traveled extensively throughout East African countries like Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda etc.

Handled a pool of 3 Service Engineers strategically located in the East Africa region for providing After Sales Service- reporting directly to me.

Key member in the introduction of Low cost pumps designed to target the African Market.

Introduced Petrol Pump peripheral equipments like Automation, Flexible piping and thus handled the complete product basket necessary for managing the Downstream Retail Oil Business.

Spares management and minimizing the expenses on warranty support.

Worked with Independent Oil Companies as well as National and Multinational Oil Companies. Besides these handled the Channel Partners in different East African Countries and ensured Business expansion in Volumes as well as Profits.

Maintaining and releasing MIS Reports for reporting to the Top management.

Ensuring regular follow up and ensured better Debtor Management.

2 yrs- Started my own venture aimed at providing Consultancy to SME's (Managing Director)

Roal Associates Pvt Ltd is a start up providing Sales & Marketing Consultancy Services to SME's in and around Pune.

Presently, we are working as Business Development Partners for a Organic Fertilizer Manufacturing company and handling their business development operations in Satara & Pune district of Maharashtra state in India.

Currently we are working on introducing the concept of "Sustenable Farming" and promoting the same in the Indian Villages

The goal of the company is to be a top management consulting firm for SME’s at global level.
The goal to align technology to agriculture and revolutionize farming in India
Investing in Africa for practicing Sustainable Farming .

Please evaluate my profile..

Thanks,

Sushant

Dear Sushant,

You have your international exposure and the entrepreneurial experience as 2 huge spikes in your profile. I am sure that there would be few candidates with sets of experiences like those of yours. The focus on agri and sustainable development through entrepreneurship is something ISB would be interested in as the WCED is very seriously working on agri business incubations. So, the adcom will definitely be interested in you.

The only negative thing is the GMAT score. 610 is too low a score for an engineer and you stand a chance of getting rejected.

My suggestion to you is to retake the GMAT.

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

GMAT Tests User
Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 17:57
Dear All,

We are happy to be the first to present to you the much awaited placement statistics for the ISB batch of 2010.

http://www.thinkisb.com/blog/2010/06/15 ... s-of-2010/

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

Intern
Intern

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 12:01
hi ... thinkISB
i'm planning to give gmat in august and expecting 700+ score ...

i have completed my engineering in 2009 from rajasthan university with agg. 69% (75-80 %le ) . now I am working (full time) with a NGO which works for the rural development and by the time of the start of the program my work ex will be about 2 years ...
and apart from this i also took a subcontract of road construction during my final year. and solely handled it .. everything from buying raw material to tackle the 15-20 workers and all other stuff related to this project.. and completed the project before the given time line (within 3 months) ... will adcom also gonna consider this... ???

ECs.. i have lots of certificate in this area.... I was state level player( junior category) of vollyball .... also won a district level competition of chess.
and in college i was captain of both vollyball and cricket team for two year... i was also art and cultural secretory of my college and also win several awards in collg and inter college competition for sketching and painting ...

apart from this i was also the head of the organizing committee of cultural fest of my collg in which students from 20 colleges were present ....
i also have certificate of yoga and worked as assistant yoga teacher for 2 month in a NGO

please evaluate my profile and tell me should i apply??? and how much gmat score would be appropriate ???

regards
surya

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 21:13
suryapal wrote:
hi ... thinkISB
i'm planning to give gmat in august and expecting 700+ score ...

i have completed my engineering in 2009 from rajasthan university with agg. 69% (75-80 %le ) . now I am working (full time) with a NGO which works for the rural development and by the time of the start of the program my work ex will be about 2 years ...
and apart from this i also took a subcontract of road construction during my final year. and solely handled it .. everything from buying raw material to tackle the 15-20 workers and all other stuff related to this project.. and completed the project before the given time line (within 3 months) ... will adcom also gonna consider this... ???

ECs.. i have lots of certificate in this area.... I was state level player( junior category) of vollyball .... also won a district level competition of chess.
and in college i was captain of both vollyball and cricket team for two year... i was also art and cultural secretory of my college and also win several awards in collg and inter college competition for sketching and painting ...

apart from this i was also the head of the organizing committee of cultural fest of my collg in which students from 20 colleges were present ....
i also have certificate of yoga and worked as assistant yoga teacher for 2 month in a NGO

please evaluate my profile and tell me should i apply??? and how much gmat score would be appropriate ???

regards
surya

Dear Surya,

Please find a brief profile eval (although incomplete);

Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Analytical Horsepower: Weak-Average
Note: It will go up to average with a GMAT of 720+

Work Ex: Weak-Average
Note: Not much data here. You did not describe your job role here. Please explain your role here. A newly graduated engineer in an NGO is odd. again, it can be a great differentiator if you display your job role properly. I need more information here.

Extra Curriculars: Strong
Needless to say, you are strong here. A good involvement in sports with significant achievements. There is enough evidence of taking initiatives through these activities.

Please explain the nature of your work for me to arrive at a preliminary conclusion.

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 11:20
Hi Think ISB,

Please evaluate my profile for ISB application 2010 - round 1-

GMAT - Scheduled on August 2 (expecting 720+ (got a 690 on GMAT prep before starting preparation))
Graduation - Mechanical Engg. fom IIT Guwahati (2008 batch) - 7.48 CPI

Work ex - will be 2 years in August 2010.Working in a government maharatna PSU - NTPC Ltd. since last 2 yrs as a power engineer.Responsible for correct working of the power plant and for handling emergency situations and preventing the plant from tripping.

E.Cs - 2nd runner up at a Professional circle convention (a technical competition) at NTPC
One of the 5 core members of Publicity team of annual cultural fest at IIT Guwahati
Completed a mountaineering course with A grade

Interests - A very keen interest in philosophy, spirituality,thinking and deciding about the ethical ways of life and business/work
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 23:52
Hi ThinkISB,

This is a wonderful initiative that you have undertaken to help prospective students like me.

A brief about me.
I am a Chartered Accountant currently working in a NBFC (a start-up located in Bangalore) as a Finance Manager.
The Company is into Microfinance, wherein we provide loans to people in rural areas.
Yet to appear for GMAT. Getting around 660-700 in mock Gmats (To take the actual test on July 15th)
Will have 5 years of post-qualification and 1.5 years of managerial experience by March 2011.
Am presently the finance head in our Company reporting to the Managing Director. I am responsible for regulatory aspects, accounting, payroll, liaison with funders/ Investors, also head internal audit team.
The company has 15 branches currently with 120 staff. I have around 20 people reporting to me.

I was earlier with Infosys BPO in their Corporate Finance division for 2.5 years, then joined the KPO division of the Company. I was into Fixed income research supporting Deutsche Bank's Investment Banking division for about 8 months. This was done primarily to gain International exposure. Used to interact daily with Managing Director (Fixed Income Research) of Deutsche Bank.

Post that i quit my Infy job and started practicing on my own, i.e., opened my own CA firm. The main purpose of it was to get the much needed holistic hands-on expertise on the functioning of a company. I got the opportunity in the NBFC after 5 months of practice. I have given my clients to a friend of mine and could go back any time as partner in his firm.
As part of my CA articleship training, i did my internship at Intel for an year.

I have some decent EC's. The industry i am in provides me ample opportunities for EC's and i am making use of it.

Would love to hear from you about my profile.
Btw, am interested in continuing in a similar role, albeit in a bigger company.
I have a query- For my essays, what short term goals should i project ? I am sure i will not be getting to handle all the above mentioned responsibilities in a bigger concern. Should i specifically point out something or mentioning the fact that "i am interested in continuing in a similar role, albeit in a bigger company" would do

Thanks in advance,

- Srinivas
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 00:00
This post received
KUDOS
jhkaas wrote:
Hi Think ISB,

Please evaluate my profile for ISB application 2010 - round 1-

GMAT - Scheduled on August 2 (expecting 720+ (got a 690 on GMAT prep before starting preparation))
Graduation - Mechanical Engg. fom IIT Guwahati (2008 batch) - 7.48 CPI

Work ex - will be 2 years in August 2010.Working in a government maharatna PSU - NTPC Ltd. since last 2 yrs as a power engineer.Responsible for correct working of the power plant and for handling emergency situations and preventing the plant from tripping.

E.Cs - 2nd runner up at a Professional circle convention (a technical competition) at NTPC
One of the 5 core members of Publicity team of annual cultural fest at IIT Guwahati
Completed a mountaineering course with A grade

Interests - A very keen interest in philosophy, spirituality,thinking and deciding about the ethical ways of life and business/work

Dear Jhkaas,

Please find a brief profile eval;

Levels: Very Weak-Weak-Average-Fair-Strong-Very Strong

Analytical Horsepower: Fair-Strong

Work Ex: Average
Note: Not much data here. You have the opportunity to show that you have experience in the power sector and can carve a niche for yourself. Only, 2 years is on the lower side. Your achievements at work must be significant.

Extra Curriculars: Average-Fair
For a candidate like you this section is very important. I like the mention of the 'interests'. Try to connect these experiences to various aspects of your life. This can give a different flavor to your profile as I can guess you are quite passionate about it.

You need to focus more on the work ex section and fish out significant responsibilities and achievements.

ThinkISB

ThinkAdmit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 04:05
Hi thinkISB,

I took GMAT yesterday and got a 650 :(. So not sure what to do next. I am targeting ISB. Here is my profile:

1. Indian female with 4 years of work ex in software industry.
2. No oversees exp. yet but will be going in a month.
3. B.E. in computer science from a reputed college in M.P. and degree of 67%.
4. Extra curricular- decent. Founder of Pune chapter of one NGO.

Could you please evaluate my profile.

Thanks,
Prax

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 06:50
sastrysrinivas wrote:
Hi ThinkISB,

This is a wonderful initiative that you have undertaken to help prospective students like me.

A brief about me.
I am a Chartered Accountant currently working in a NBFC (a start-up located in Bangalore) as a Finance Manager.
The Company is into Microfinance, wherein we provide loans to people in rural areas.
Yet to appear for GMAT. Getting around 660-700 in mock Gmats (To take the actual test on July 15th)
Will have 5 years of post-qualification and 1.5 years of managerial experience by March 2011.
Am presently the finance head in our Company reporting to the Managing Director. I am responsible for regulatory aspects, accounting, payroll, liaison with funders/ Investors, also head internal audit team.
The company has 15 branches currently with 120 staff. I have around 20 people reporting to me.

I was earlier with Infosys BPO in their Corporate Finance division for 2.5 years, then joined the KPO division of the Company. I was into Fixed income research supporting Deutsche Bank's Investment Banking division for about 8 months. This was done primarily to gain International exposure. Used to interact daily with Managing Director (Fixed Income Research) of Deutsche Bank.

Post that i quit my Infy job and started practicing on my own, i.e., opened my own CA firm. The main purpose of it was to get the much needed holistic hands-on expertise on the functioning of a company. I got the opportunity in the NBFC after 5 months of practice. I have given my clients to a friend of mine and could go back any time as partner in his firm.
As part of my CA articleship training, i did my internship at Intel for an year.

I have some decent EC's. The industry i am in provides me ample opportunities for EC's and i am making use of it.

Would love to hear from you about my profile.
Btw, am interested in continuing in a similar role, albeit in a bigger company.
I have a query- For my essays, what short term goals should i project ? I am sure i will not be getting to handle all the above mentioned responsibilities in a bigger concern. Should i specifically point out something or mentioning the fact that "i am interested in continuing in a similar role, albeit in a bigger company" would do

Thanks in advance,

- Srinivas

Hi Srinivas,

You have a very interesting and diverse profile. Although we do not know a lot of work related details on an online forum, but from whatever you have described regarding your responsibilities and your career growth, you have a good chance of getting an interview call. Above 700 in GMAT would be good. Try for a minimum of 660.

A cause of concern, which you have identified yourself is your career goal. We would also like to hear from you, that if you want to continue in the same role, in the same industry, why do you want to do an MBA? Just make a list of the takeaways that you expect from an MBA.

If it is just a different company, then probably an MBA is not a good choice. You can do that right now as well.

But if try to introspect, there may be other opportunities that you would like to explore in terms of a different role or a parallel industry. It may just be the network that you want to build at ISB and leverage it (explain how). Remember, an MBA is a long term investment but you should know how you would leverage it in short term as well as long term. Do some primary research by talking to current students and alums.

Hope this helps.

ThinkAdmit

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 07:16
Prax wrote:
Hi thinkISB,

I took GMAT yesterday and got a 650 :(. So not sure what to do next. I am targeting ISB. Here is my profile:

1. Indian female with 4 years of work ex in software industry.
2. No oversees exp. yet but will be going in a month.
3. B.E. in computer science from a reputed college in M.P. and degree of 67%.
4. Extra curricular- decent. Founder of Pune chapter of one NGO.

Could you please evaluate my profile.

Thanks,
Prax

Hi Prax,

650, although is a decent score but is below the ISB average, especially for applicants with software background. You might have tough time to excel in the academic and analytical horsepower area.

Having said that, there still are people who have made it to ISB with this score since GMAT is just one of the many criteria. We have little knowledge of your work-experience, your leadership and team experiences and your career growth, so it will be difficult to comment on that. But with the limited information, we feel that you can elaborate on extra curricular part of your profile, because that looks interesting.

If you can answer the following questions to yourself, we're sure an interesting story will emerge:
How did you start the Pune chapter of the NGO? and why?
Did you face any challenges?
How did you form your team?
What was the impact? Who and how many people were benefited?
And finally, what did you learn?

We, at ThinkISB believe that everyone has an interesting story to tell. It is just a matter of the amount of introspection one has done. All the best for your application.

If you want a detailed feedback on your application, do avail ThinkISB's ProEval service.

ThinkAdmit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 07:37
Hello Think ISB

I am taking my GMAT test on the 15th of august. However, I am doubtful that i ll receive my AWA score by the time i apply for round 1. Can i submit my AWA score later as i want to apply in the first round itself.

Also, do evaluate my profile:
GMAT score - expecting 700+ with the present preparation

Work ex - will be 2 years by 1st April'2011

Work - Working as a Scientist in Defence Research and Development Laboratory(DRDL). Work area includes Aerodynamic Test Facilities and I am the instrumentation in-charge of Hypersonic Shock Tunnel. I have established 2 new measurement techniques in my facility and have thus contributed in the establishment of the Shock Tunnel facility.

Academics - B.Tech in Instrumentation and Control Engineering from NIT Jalandhar with a GPA of 8.12
12th - 80%(CBSE)
10th - 86%(ICSE)

Extra Curricular - Have represented my college Table Tennis team in many inter-college tournaments all over the country. Have won many TT matches and have also participated and scored a position in the DRDO intra zonal Table Tennis matches recently.
I am an athlete and played and won many track events during college and also in DRDL.
I was the head of photography club in my college for 2 years and have organised many photography events.
Won many choreography events in school and college
I have learned Salsa and Jive(Basic level) professionally.

Passions - Travelling, Photography and Dancing

Do I stand a fair chance of getting through ISB this year?

Sumedha
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 08:49
Thanks ThinkISB for the brief review. But I still have a doubt.
Should I try for ISB in R1 this time with this score or retake GMAT and try later?
Intern
Intern

Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2010, 08:58
Hi ThinkISB,
I am from India. Request to please evaluate my profile .

Work Experience : 6.5 years in IT industry in india with one of the Top MNCs here (This is my second company, the earlier being another top MNC in India). Have around 1.5+ years of Overseas exposure (in USA and Canada) as Technical Analyst. Was involved in different projects and served high profile Global clients which included Fortune 500 companies also. For past 6-7 months my role is that of "Module Lead" for my project and 7-8 members are working directly under my supervision.
Cleared and achieved different technical/ Non Technical certifications which includes Microsoft, ITIL (for Service Management).

Degree : B.Tech in Information Technology from one of the Private Engineering Colleges in eastern India. My B.Tech GPA is 8.3.

GMAT Score : 680-700 (will be appearing for it in a month )
Academics : (however does it matter anyways??)
10 : 75% (State Board)
12 : 68% (State Board)

Extra Curricular : Nothing special! Did participate in some quizzes during schooling. Love to play Table Tennis during leisure in office (no accolades however).

Social Activities (Please let me know if this can be improved now!!):
Nothing significant! But am involved with Companies Corporate Social Responsibility Team (sometimes need to go to primary schools and teach poor children/ donation collection etc.) and Environment Focus Team (was involved in a team for public awareness on different environmental issues etc.).
Note: Thinking of joining an NGO soon.

Want to Join ISB for career progression and for opportunity to explore other areas like Entrepreneurship in Education industry [I have actually thoroughly planned for it couple of years back but just that execution didn't happen (:()].

Thanks.
Re: Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2010, 08:58