Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Marvel Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2322

Kudos [?]: 9408 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 20:02
Expert's post

We welcome Marvel Admissions to GMAT Club!

What We Do:
At Marvel Admissions, we are passionate about helping talented individuals realize their dream of attending the world’s best business schools. It is incredibly rewarding when clients tell us that we not only helped them put together an outstanding application, but increased their sense of personal power as well. Those who have worked with us know that the benefits of our services extend through their years in business school and beyond.

The Marvel Admissions Difference: (EXCEL)
Experience - Marvel Admissions consultants are all graduates from a top MBA program and have served as admissions interviewers and application reviewers. Our admissions consultants are experienced leadership coaches, management consultants, strategists, and brand marketers for Fortune Global 500 firms and fast growing businesses. We understand cultural diversity from working and living in Europe, Asia, and the United States.

Collaboration – Our team of consultants work collaboratively. Their diverse academic, professional, and cultural experiences ensure each client will be seen from different perspectives, thoroughly evaluated, and exceptionally advised.

Empowerment – We help clients recognize and define their unique value and talents.

Leadership – Our extensive experience providing leadership coaching to senior executives enables us to guide our clients toward becoming more effective leaders.

Special Offer:
For a limited time, GMAT Club members can receive 10% off any comprehensive school package. Learn more

Schedule a complimentary consultation

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-20-2005
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 03:41
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Sumant,

The chances of admission in b-schools depend on few factors like your GMAT Scores, GPA, Work Experience, Acads & Extra-curricular. This covers not more than 35% on the entire b-school application. The most important in fact deciding factors are your application essays & interviews which covers 60% to 65% of the b-school application.

An avg. profile can make up by submitting skillfully written essays & working had during final interviews.

Wish you good luck.

Best,
AK
If you like the post, don’t hesitate to give KUDOS

sumantIBM wrote:
WHat are my chances to get into any top 10 b schools for MBA ?
my profile details :
currently age 23
working with IBM for 18 months planning for MBA after 2-3 years , by then it will be WE of 36 to 40 months at the time of applying to b schools
btech in engg - 3.4gpa
Gmat - not yet appeared

Please let me know my chances < realistic > or any useful suggestions on how to improve to reach the desired level.
please help me to figure this out.

Thanks and Regards,
Sumant

GMAT-750 Work Exp-10 yrs. MBA-Top 10 FT Ranking B-School
Under Grad- Top 30 College in Asia

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 1

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 23:57
This post received
KUDOS
Hi MacFauz,

What would you like to do after MBA? Long-term goals?

Being instrumental in getting roads laid is quite a significant contribution. And you also have a great GMAT score.

If you can provide examples of leadership capability through professional and personal accomplishments, Yale and IMD could be match schools for you. Wharton would be more competitive, but I would encourage you to apply if you think the school is a good fit for you.

I get the sense that you are not feeling very confident. You have some great stregths, so you should stretch beyond the intital three target schools you listed.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

If you list this post, give it KUDOS!

MacFauz wrote:
Indian Male

Work Experience : 27 Months as on 1st December 2012 in a HVAC Contracting Company which is one of the top 3 companies in the field in India.

Responsibilities : Procurement Engineer - Involves technical as well as commercial responsibilities.

GMAT Score:
Quants : 49, Verbal : 42, Overall : 740 (AWA & IR still awaited. Expect to get a good score in AWA. Not so much in IR. Hopefully not worse than a 4)

Undergrad Info:
B.E in Mechanical Engineering with 70% from Anna University (Non IIT Indian University - State Owned)

Extra-Curricular
Was part of the school soccer team and regular in the school athletic meet winning several medals in the intra school sports meets. Although I doubt if that would amount to anything.
Community service is also 0. I have been instrumental in getting roads laid in my area but do not have any proof. To sum it up, I think this would be what would hurt my profile most.
Have received appraisal letters from my management for good performance which I hope could stand for something.

Target Programs
HKUST
ISB
NUS

I would also like to know whether Wharton, Yale and IMD would be too much of a stretch.

Thanks in advance. :)

Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
Marvel Admissions Website | Marvel Admissions Blog

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Braden,

Your progression at the current firm, prior experience founding a company, volunteering at Ghana, working w U.S. senators, and high GMAT score all make you a very strong candidate for the top schools.

Please don't be discouraged by the language requirement at London Business School and INSEAD. With your four years of high school french, you should be able to pass the requirement, perhaps with a little bit of refresher and tutoring. I've never heard of anyone not graduating due to inability to meet the language requirement.

I got my MBA from London Business School, and I think you will benefit greatly from the strategy and entrepreneurship teaching at London Business School, as well as the network and support for entreprenuers. Additionally, LBS's strength in finance would help round up your skills.

check out link below for more info

http://www.london.edu/videoandaudio/fac ... rship.html

In expressing your career aspirations, make sure you can connect them to how you see yourself contribute to the society/your community, etc. Should be pretty easy given your area of focus in renewable energy/clean tech.

Good luck to you! Please feel free to email me if you have further questions.

Christine Lin
clin@marveladmissions.com

If you like this post, give it KUDOS!

bradenpan wrote:
770 GMAT (50Q,45V)

Undergrad GPA: 3.1 in Philosophy from William and Mary (graduated 2007)

Professional Certifications: PMP (Project Management Professional)

Previous work experience includes founding a company with a high school friend, volunteering in Ghana, working for 2 different U.S. Senators on capital hill (intern and then staff assistant - both low level jobs), Currently Director of Project Management and Operations at a solar energy development and finance Company:

Joined the current company pre-funding 3 years ago as an intern (promoted to Operations Analyst, then Project Manager, then Senior Project Manager, and finally to Director of Project Management and Operations). Currently report directly to the CEO and have 3 direct reports (fewer than 15 people total in the company). Responsible for solar project technical review, design and engineering, materials procurement, and project and asset management. I've overseen technical evaluation of over 500MW of project pipeline (includes redesigning projects to lower installation costs, and increase energy harvest), project managed over 2 MW and over see asset management of all projects constructed, Also consulting as a solar subject matter expert for the Cornell tech campus on Roosevelt Island in New York City.

Goals: move to senior management,and then c-level in a renewable energy/clean tech company. Eventually found my own company.

I'd like to study entrepreneurship, and am going to school both to make connections and improve my skill sets aspects of business that I'd don't get a whole lot of exposure to (mostly finance). Currently looking at
Stanford
Harvard
MIT
Penn
Chicago
Northwestern

but would also like suggestions for other top schools that have top entrepreneurship programs.

I should also add INSEAD and London School of Business on my list. Would love to get an MBA from a top international school, though the foreign language requirement is somewhat prohibitive (I have 4 years of french but 2 non 'A' grades in high school, both of them French, and one of them a D)

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 367 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 02:06
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Christine,

I come from the largest pool of MBA aspirants i.e. Indian/IT/male (age 29) and need your help in evaluating my profile.

1) GMAT score: 720 (q49, v38) - (AWA/IR scores awaited; a little disappointed with this score, can retake if you advise.)
2) Total work ex: 8 yrs in various roles in two renowned IT companies (4 yrs each)
3) Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1
4) Graduation: From one of the top engineering colleges in India. 73% (First class with distinction - due to tougher scoring, criteria for distinction in my college was 70% compared to 75% in other indian colleges)
5) International exposure: 30% of total workex. worked in South Korea and currently working in Singapore.
6) Extra curricular+ community service: Not muh to mention here. Organized a few project parties in my first company. part of cricket team for small duration (before moving to a new location). participated in team-sports events in my second company (won some tournaments). Dint get much opportunity in India to do any community work, however did some volunteer work in Singapore as plenty of opportunities are available here.
7) Areas of Interest : Primary : Management consulting, Secondary : Strategy, General management
8) Won several awards and certificates of achievement during my 8yrs career from my employers and appreciations from clients.
9) Colleges to apply :
a) Duke
b) Darden
c) Haas
d) INSEAD
e) HEC Paris

What I realize here is that my GMAT score and the pool that I come from could be a big disadvantage for me and my little (or close to nil) extra curricular and community service experience add to this.

I would really appreciate your inputs on my profile and on my chances (far, stretch,strong) at the colleges mentioned. Also, I would request you to suggest some additional colleges where you think I could be a good fit, with chances to get a decent scholarship (a huge factor) considering my profile. (I understand application/essays and recommendations are important factors but since I'm just done with my GMAT, would appreciate if you could provide your inputs based on the above mentioned information.

Thanks,
Vips

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 18:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Gmatrockss,

You got lots of great things going for you. Kudos on your Latin dancing :) When are you planning on applying?

Some great schools on your target list. You may want to look into Ross & Tuck as well, and then try to narrow the list to 5-6 schools.

London Business School currently has a very active family business club.

You will have to demonstrate leadership capabilities through your essays.

If you are interested in assistance with your application, please feel free to contact us for a complimentary consultation. http://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Thank you.

Christine Lin

If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

gmatrockss wrote:
Appreciate if you can have a look at the below profile:

Age 24, Male, Indian

Academics:
Xth Grade -95.2% ( Overall)
XIIth Grade - 89.2%
Chemical Engineering Degree at BITS PILANI , Rajasthan India.
Overall GPA: 8.92/10 ( GPA in Core Chemical Courses 9.8/10)
GMAT - 710 ( Q49, V36, AWA 5 , IR 4)
CFA Institute, USA Level 3 Canditate

Work Experience:

5 months ( current role) as a Consultant , Business Development in a $5 million turnover family owned food processing business.

•Managing roles in Business Development, Office Administration, Human Resource Management, Finance, Accounting and internal audit and control
•Created SOPs and Documented Procedures for all Critical Food Safety Related Activities.
•Liasonsing with Food regulatory bodies in India to ensure compliance

2 yrs and 3 months as Risk Analyst at Credit Suisse, Mumbai.

• Risk Analysis, reporting and potential exposure checks for Hedge Fund clients.
• Enhanced the accuracy and quality of underlying data for Prime Services risk analytics by developing and implementing multiple data controls.
• Contributed to the development and execution of Equity Cross Margining Platform that benefited many clients by offering
competitive margins across Prime Brokerage, Swap and Listed Derivatives Platform.
• Coded scenarios and stresses in a third party real time risk analytics software for stress based
custom margining for certain Hedge Fund Clients.

INTERN as Business Analyst at Modelytics India Pvt. Ltd.
• Conducted a case study on credit card pricing optimization
• Built predictive models and pricing optimisation schemes using statistical techniques by understanding the clients' business problems and defining an analytical approach to solving them

Extra Curricular Activities
• Active role in Credit Suisse Business Analyst recruitment program from top 1% engineering colleges in India
• Have received a formal training in dance and awarded BEST DANCER in ‘LATINA FIESTA 2007’, a national level competition in dance categories
Lambada, Salsa and Merengue.
• Held the Joint Coordinator position of Department Of Theatre, responsible for managing all the major stage events, interacting with teams, publicity, promotion and budget management of events in OASIS, the second biggest student cultural festival of INDIA
• Cultural Secretary of a regional association in College,a group of 400 members

I plan to do an MBA and then come back and take over the family business . A course that emphasizes leadership and entrepreneurship will suit my needs greatly .Once I take over the business I would need to be in a position to lead a team of about 100-200 people . Also since my current business is manufacturing
based , a school with a strong operations department will be a better fit for me.

Target Schools :
MIT Sloan, ( famous for operations management, good balance between theory and real life applications)
Tepper,
Kellogg ( operations focussed, dynamic curriculum)
Insead,
LBS,
ISB

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 21:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Olurmuki,

Are you only considering MBA programs in the U.S.?

Your high GMATscore and MS GPA should help offset the undergrad GPA. Whatever caused the low undergrad GPA, you may have to convince the schools those factors no longer exist.

Kudos on the global projects. If you can show that you have strong leadership capabilities and made significant positive impact on your oganization, you should be competitive for MIT.

You didn't mention future career goals. Make sure you clearly articulate what you would like to do & why, and how the MBA at the schools you're applying to can help you get there, and how you plan to contribute to the business school and your community.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

olurmuki wrote:
Hello,

I am a European applicant and trying to see whether I would be competitive for the top MBA schools, especially a finance/entrepreneurship school.
I was thinking about MIT.

Since I don't really know much about MBA world in USA, I would really appreciate any help you may have. Could you evaluate the below and share your thoughts on competitiveness and schools to target please?

Thanks!
Coma
--
Below is my profile:

UG: Engineering, top school in country. GPA 2.5 - no special reason for low GPA
Grad: MS in Finance: top school in Europe. GPA 3.7
GMAT: 750, Q:51

WE1: Management / Entrepreneurship (engineering related) : 3 years
WE2: Financial Services / Strategy (well known global company) : 2 years

Work experience covers 5 countries (spent at least 6 months) so far
During my WE2 some of the global projects at which I participated at the design phase became highly successful and recommendations (from senior people in organization) revolve around this

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

What are your career goals post MBA?

Seems like you have great work ethics and discipline. If you really want to reach for these top schools, I would suggest retaking the GMAT.

If not, assuming you have examples of leadership capabilities, there are still many great MBA programs for you to consider.

Happy to discuss further if you are interested. http://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!
Christine Lin

iamsovereign wrote:
My target schools are Columbia, Harvard, NYU Stern, Stanford and Wharton.

Education
- GPA: 3.70 at Stony Brook University (SUNY) BS in Business Management – Just graduated in August.
- GPA: 3.84 Navy Nuclear Power School. Non degree but very technical and well known for its rigor.
GMAT: 650
White
Experience: 11 years
- 8 years as an enlisted US nuclear trained submariner. Responsibilities included calculating, sampling and maintaining reactor chemistry, overseeing all radiological activities (maintenance, casualty actions in case of reactor accident etc…) and operating the reactor in all modes.
- 1 year at Sandia National Laboratory as a Health Physics Technician integrating radiological controls into all aspects of their experimentation
- 1.5 years at Brookhaven National Laboratory doing the same as at Sandia.
- .5 years at Brookhaven National Laboratory as a Quality Engineer for Radiological Control Division
o Just promoted.
Extracurricular Activities:
- None - When separated from navy, attended school full time and work full time. No time for anything else.
Essays: I have recently received essays from a fellow veteran at one of the top schools. He did exactly what I did in the navy and I intend on using it as a template for my own essays while differentiating myself based on my upbringing
- Grew up in a very poor neighborhood in Dallas Texas
- Only person in immediate family or extended family to graduate college

I know my GMAT is not as high as it could be which may be a problem, especially for the schools I am choosing, but I believe I can offset this in my applications by drawing attention to the technical nature of my past and current job, my GPA in Nuclear Power School as well as my A+ in calculus.

Another important point in regards to my GMAT is that I attended my undergrad full time while simultaneously working full time. I believe I can capitalize on this fact and show that while simultaneously pursuing both, I obtained excellent grades and have been promoted at work. I think this will show that when I stop working and attend school full time, I will perform exceptionally well. Please let me know if this logic will hold up in an application and if I should talk to it.

Please let me know your thoughts and I thank you in advance for any evaluation you provide.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Apns,

I'm basing my assessment mainly on your GMAT score. I find that in most cases, business schools will not be able to overlook a low GMAT score.

So MIT, UCLA, and UNC may be too much of a stretch for you. But the other schools you have listed may be within your reach.

Sounds like you have great work experience, and great academic background.

Your quant score is actually lower than your verbal. I found it easier to improve quant score with practice vs. verbal score, but it sounds like you're not considering retaking it anymore.

Proper school selection should include a discussion regarding your post MBA career goals, and long term career vision, as well as why you want to pursue these goals.

Happy to offer a complimentary consultation if you are interested in discussing further.

Christine Lin

apns wrote:
Dear Marvel Admissions,

Trust this post you well.

Need your help in evaluating my profile:

Indian, Male, Age 26, Engineering undergrad, Manufacturing sector and consulting work ex, among the top 10% in both university and professional peer group...

GMAT 610 (Q38, V36 ; 46 and 79 %ile respectively) .. I hate to say this, but this my 3rd attempt at the exam, and have been able to get only this.

Undergrad GPA - 8.1 on 10, ( that converts to 3.3 on 4 if I am right), have a PG Diploma in Intellectual Property Rights Law ..

Professional background:

3 years of work ex. as process engineer in automotive manufacturing.. excellent track record at company, in terms of leadership, project management, and responsibilities... handled 2 key product developments amounting to 10 million $ in budget allocations ...another key highlight includes being chosen for funded PG program among a pool of 100 engineers ( 3 were chosen) ..

Post automotive experience, shifted to business consulting, and involved as research analyst tracking the global commercial vehicle market, promotions YoY and recently given team leader role .. presently with the same firm ... key member of team building in the consulting firm, and responsible for establishing an overseas research team this year ... have completed that process and moved to other assignments now... been with the firm for 2 years and 4 months now ( total of 5 years+ work ex. )

Other key achievements:

. Demonstrated team building and leadership qualities --- undergrad placement representative, team lead role in the current profile..
. Profession working knowledge in German ( have completed 6 levels of professional german language from the local office of Max Mueller Bhavan, India)

Target: MIT SLOAN LGO, Tippie, Broad (SCM program), Krannert, Kenan Flager, Anderson .. I know I can't think of top 10 with the GMAT score.. but any advice there would be welcome..

All I want to know is how good are my chances at the listed schools, recommended schools for this background, and what can be ideally done (in brief) to combat the low GMAT... I will be having stellar recommendations and am concentrating on my essays already....

Please advice...

Thanks
apns

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hi fellow Toastmasters member,

You seems to have strong/interesting work experience, as well as leadership experience and great extracurricular activities. It will be extremely important for you to have strong application essays. How much time have you spent working outside of India?

You should be competitive at Duke, Ross, and Darden.

Happy to discuss further regarding additional schools to consider, and ways to improve your candidacy. It is great to start preparing early for the applications, and get ready for Round 1 next year. Please feel free to send me your info through http://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Thank you.

Christine Lin

solerenegade wrote:
Age- 26

Nationality - Indian

GMAT 2- 700 (Q49, V- 35)
GMAT 1- 680 (Q49, V-34)
WE- 3.5 (so far) in Retail Analytics + Decision Making global firm (offices in US, UK, Asia and Europe)
1. worked with the 2nd largest grocery retailer in the US on streamlining their loyalty and rewards work stream, was recognized for my efforts with an inter-company award and a promotion
2. Worked with one of the largest coffee and fresh bread chains in the US, streamlining their loyalty card offering and making the program more personalized for the customer.
3. Currently working with the second largest grocery retailer in a Scandinavian country, worked on the Pricing Strategy for one their store formats which has been rolled-out nationally. Worked directly with the pricing team of the Client, while being at their offices in Scandinavia.

Undergrad- Bachelors in Engineering from Delhi University (Top 10 engineering college of the country)
Undergrad Score - 3.5

Leadership Roles/Community Service-

1. President of the Toastmasters Club of the corporate club at my organization, was also the VP, Education for the Club the year before I became the president. winner of awards at the Area level, Certified Competent Communicator.
2. Head, Quizzing Club at my organization, started the club and am responsible for hosting all the trivia quizzing activities at the office. Have also represented the organization in inter-company quizzing competitions.
3. NGO work- working in my spare time with a charitable NGO which provides schooling to under-privileged slum kids
4. Head of Publications, IEEE-Student chapter at my undergrad college. Was responsible for the publication of all the technical magazines from the stable
5. Founder and Head of the Quiz Club at my undergrad college, have participated and won many inter-collegiate trivia competitions across the country.

Post MBA goals:-
To work in a firm like Amazon, which is the biggest online retailer and apply the principles of management, analytics and marketing to make the online experience even better.
Or
To move in the field of consulting where my inter-personal and analytical skills can be utilized to the fullest in providing the best strategic solutions to my Clients

Schools targeted:-
Dream- Kellogg, Wharton,Tuck (First 2 are good schools in the field of Marketing, Tuck very good in General Management & Consulting)
Reach- Duke, Ross, Darden

I am not very happy with my GMAT score; it's not the score that I'd love to have, but it's something that I can live with. What do you think are my chances at an admit at these schools? Should I look at some other schools as well? Planning to apply next year, so will have a WE of about 60 months if and when I start my classes in the Fall of 2014.

Thanks in advance!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Perturbedspirit!

Not everyone can say they're the lead vocalist of a band :) That is great that you have an interest and presumably talent for music.

What about the MILR program interests you? If it is Cornell, then perhaps consider its MBA program also.

I would suggest you give some thoughts to your long term career goal if you haven't already, and also research post-MBA career options to find areas that interest you.

Other important elements that impact your candidacy are clarity of career objective, leadership capabilities/soft skills, and how well you present yourself in the essays.

Good luck!

Christine

perturbedspirit wrote:
I seek an evaluation for my profile:

Background: Indian male, IT industry (I am expecting an indistinct 'tsch' in your head at this point ;) ), 28 years

Professional Exp: 5 years of service in the IT industry. Career progression from an engineer to senior engineer to an analyst. Onsite experience of 2 years and a couple of big(read much-sought) client honors and awards.

Education: BTech from a fairly-decent Indian university with a 6.1/10 GPA. No frills here.

Extra Curricular: Founding member of college music society and the lead vocalist of the band. Decent share of winning LAN gaming tournaments.

GMAT: 670 (Q48/V35). Again, no frills here :)

Career Goals: Since I have worked for an insurance major in the past five years, I can relate to working in this field post my MBA.

I understand this is an average profile, specially given the demographics. I plan to apply in:
Competitive: McCombs, Kelley, Kenan Flagler, Olin, Fisher
Safe: Smeal, Krannert
I also intend to apply in the MILR program of Cornell, though I have no justifiable reasons why.

Kindly, give your honest feedback, or suggest accordingly :)

Thanks!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Kudos on making some great, quantifiable improvements to the family business.

What type of management consulting would you like to do? You may want to leverage your industry and functional experience.

You can refer to this list for GMAT and GPA info to select a short-list of schools, and then research consulting recruiting and entrepreneurship curriculum at the schools. You may also want to think about your preference for class size and location.

http://business-schools.findthebest.com/

Good luck!

Christine Lin

pratb wrote:
Hi

Could you pls suggest some ambitious, possible and safe schools for my profile

Gmat -690
Toefl - 109
Acads - ok abt 3.3 gpa

Work exp - Overall 3.5 yrs ...a bit more than 4 by the time I start in 2013
Manufacturing
Worked in the Family Manufacturing business for abt 11 months
Responsibilities
• Lead a team of 10 people that ensured on-time product delivery, generating 15% more revenue for us, above average operating margins, and leading to three subsequent major contracts
• Co-ordinate with the clients to ascertain their expectations from the product
• Manage the supply-chain to make sure raw materials were received on time
• Generate cumulative and quarterly reports to quantify and monitor performance
Achievements
• Optimized the supply chain to receive all raw-material from single vendor, which saved 10% of the money spent
• Implemented an “On-site Maintenance” trend, which became the business’s USP

IT Quality Assuarance (Not a typical coder..but a domain related job)
Worked as a QA (Tester) for the brokerage application. Learnt a lot abt brokerage and different financial instruments

Responsibilities
• Work as a QA Lead/QA Engineer for the Brokerage application of Fidelity Investments
• Understand and Analyze requirements from SDS/ Stories
• Contribute to project planning by preparing a Test plan
• Create and executed test cases to demonstrate the functional quality of application
• Conduct peer to peer test case review to adhere to the quality standards
• Create a weekly project status report
Achievements
• Created a historical data and defect tracker sheet, which helped in the successful delivery of projects and reduced project back-outs by at least 20%
• Created a Macro which helped with test case creation and reduced time and efforts by 20%
• Suggested new opportunities for business growth, which were highly appreciated and could soon, be implemented
• Conducted Knowledge transfer sessions for the new entrants to the project

HONORS & AWARDS
• Certified “ISTQB” Quality Assurance Engineer
• Awarded “Achiever of the Quarter” for my performance in IPO enhancement project
• Awarded “Most valuable person” by Fidelity for my performance in ATP project
• Awarded “Pat on Back” award for my performance in Fidelity SPS project
• Received a rating of 4 (highest & only 10% of 26000 people receive this) during first annual appraisal cycle

OTHER INTERESTS/ACTIVITIES
• Represented college at State level Football tournaments
• A regular participant in the Standard Chartered organized Marathon held every year to raise funds for charity
• Volunteered at an Orphanage, to teach the basics of computers to children and also volunteered at an old age home.
• Led many events and “Infrastructure team” during college festivals and technical festivals.

Short term Goal :Management consultant
Long term: Entrepreneur

Please evaluate my profile!! Thank you for your help

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 01:19
This post received
KUDOS
When are you planning on applying?

Strong academics, clear industry passion, and extracurriculars all look great.

What type of business function are you interested in?

You can continue to strengthen extracurriculars by contributing your skills and find opportunities to demonstrate your leadership ability.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

ujjawal13 wrote:
Key Interests: 1. Venture into shipbuilding industry and thus diversify into the manufacturing industry.
2. Use photography for social Change.

Xth : 92.8%, XIIth : 88.6%
GPA : 8.5/10 (Rank : 2/50, Ship Design, IIT, India's Best Engineering College)
Chose to pursue it even after being offered Computer Science for my love of manufacturing tangible products - have been always enthused by automobiles, aviation, railways and ships. Decided to pursue one for my life.
GMAT : 750+ (Yet to give, but confident, have given practice tests)

Internships : 2 Internships, each at Indian and Singaporean Shipyard respectively.

Extracurriculars :
1. Member of Debating Society, Won at a leading National Model United Nation Conference at school.
2. Sports - Athlete and part of intra college medal winning team for two consecutive years.
3. School - awarded Student of the Year for best extra-curriculars and academic performance for several years.
4. Photographer for a non-profit for 1 year. Doing photo essays to bring social change. Volunteered at NSS (social service) for last 3 years.

Do I stand any chance? I have several stories to tell about every thing, how each decision has been taken, what have I learnt from each experience. But how can I strengthen my extra-curriculars? And where do I lack? How can I make it stronger?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 16:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

You have a good GMAT score, and your GPA currently in the MBA program is good, so these should offset your low undergrad GPA a bit. It will also help to explain that the factors (family problems) that led to your poor performance in undergrad no longer exist.

Your strength in math, and experience in marketing related function - sales, and teaching experience all support you wanting to apply your math skills to marketing w a PhD.

Your goals for top 15-30 seem achievable.

Let me know if you have other questions, and if you are interested in getting assistance w the application process, please feel free to contact me -
http://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!

Christine Lin

Hoorirafieian wrote:
Hello,

I've planned to apply for the PhD program of any of the top 30 business schools of the US in marketing. I'd really appreciate it if you evaluate my chances.

I'm a 27 year old female from Iran. I studied mathematics in a well known university in Iran. Mathematics has always been my area of interest and strength. Because of some severe family problems, I totally stopped studying and if I managed to get passing grades it was all due to my strong background in mathematics from high school days. I graduated with a low 2.64 out of 4 gpa. I'm now in my last year of MBA in Tehran university of economic sciences and my gpa is currently 3.8 on a scale of 4. Three months ago, I decided to apply for PhD programs of the US. I studied two months for GMAT and I scored 710 (Q:51 - 98%, V:34 - 69%, IR:5 - 52%, AWA: 5.5 - 77%). I took TOEFL last week and my score is 110.

I was the sales manager of a small company for two years and this is the only professional job experience I have. I've had several voluntary duties (managing mathematics workshops for 5 years in various high schools), I was the teaching assistant of the logic course during my bachelor's and I was also the head of the Student Scientific Association of mathematics department for two years but I doubt these would help my resume.

How do you evaluate my profile and do you think I have any shot at business schools ranked 15-30? Is my low gpa going to haunt me in my way to get an admission?

Many many thanks in advance.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Great work experience, and extracurriculars.

LBS may look at your MBA application and ask that you apply to Mif instead of the MBA program, given your post MBA goal of being a wealth manager.

I'm not suggesting you pick one over the other, but if you want to get an MBA, you have to be clear about why you want to get an MBA, and how that fits into your short-term and long-term career goals.

The top financial institutions such as Goldman Sachs, UBS, etc do recruit at LBS and Insead for their wealth managment division.

When are you planning to apply?

Happy to share insights I have as a graduate of London Business School's MBA program, and as an alumni interviewer for the past ten years. Just send me your info http://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Take care!

Christine Lin
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS.

clarkkent0610 wrote:
Hi,

I request you to please evaluate my profile.

Male, Indian

Acads:
Xth CBSE 85%
XIIth CBSE 90.4%
Economics (H) from SRCC 65%

GMAT: 710 (Q50, V35) AWA - 4

Total work experience: 54 months

Senior Derivatives Trader : Responsibilities include proprietary trading in Commodity and Currency Derivatives in both domestic and international exchanges including CME, NYMEX, LME, MCX, MCX-SX.
Responsible for handling a portfolio of 100 million INR.
Responsible for Risk Management of my portfolio using Market Risk Analysis tools such as Stress Testing, Scenario Analysis, VaR etc.
Use Fundamental and Technical analysis and Bloomberg, Reuters and Future Source. And use Option Pricing models for arbitrage in FX Derivatives.
Only trader selected from a group of 125 traders to help two professional risk managers in setting up the risk management department at my organisation.
Managing a team of 12 derivative traders.

Professional Certifications :
1- Certified Financial Risk Manager (FRM)
2- CFA Level 3 candidate

Extra curriculars:
1- Memeber of Economics Society and Placement Cell of college.
2- Started publishing a magazine in my 2nd year at college.
3- I am an avid PC gamer. Participating in national level gaming competitions held by Reliance Webworld, Intel, EA Games, ESWC and ICGC for the past 8 years. Finished in top 10 in 2008, 2010 and 2011.
4- Member of a Cycling Club. Currently it has 6 members. We meet twice a month and visit new places in Delhi.

Post MBA goals:
Want to be a Wealth Manager.

Target Schools - NUS, INSEAD, LBS, HEC, Rotman, HKUST
Thanks for your time. :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

It will depend on the impact you've made at work, your GMAT score, and any outstanding accomplishments outside of work (athletics, community service, other competitions, leadership experience, etc).

You didn't mention your role at work. Try to seek opportunities to lead projects and take initiative to go beyond what is normally expected for your role.

Also it helps to have clear career goals, so now is the time to figure out what you would like to do post-MBA and long-term, and how an MBA fit into that picture. Depending on what you want to do post-MBA, make sure you research the role by reading, talking to people currently holding your desired post-MBA job to understand the skills needed for such jobs, and start networking.

If you are interested in getting admissions consulting help for the application process, please email me your info. http://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!

Christine

sumantIBM wrote:
WHat are my chances to get into any top 10 b schools for MBA ?
my profile details :
currently age 23
working with IBM for 18 months planning for MBA after 2-3 years , by then it will be WE of 36 to 40 months at the time of applying to b schools
btech in engg - 3.4gpa
Gmat - not yet appeared

Please let me know my chances < realistic > or any useful suggestions on how to improve to reach the desired level.
please help me to figure this out.

Thanks and Regards,
Sumant

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Your work experience & extracurriculars seem substaintial. Awesome undergrad GPA, esp given it is in physics. Not so great at Judge, but ok, I understand the UK grading system given I went to London Business School.

Did you spend a lot of time preparing for the GMAT previously? Is there a reason to believe you are capable of getting much higher score?

Your score is right around the average for the top schools, and it helps you're from one of the former USSR country. You'll have to demonstrate leadership capabilities and decision making through work and personal experiences.

What would you like to do after business school and long term?

Please feel free to send me your info/resume, and we can schedule a time to chat further. http://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!

Christine

LaCafGen wrote:
Hello,

I think I have a very unique and unusual profile, so I'd kindly ask you to provide feedback on it.

Male, 24 yrs old, from a small former USSR country.

GMAT 720 (Q50, V35), AWA 5.0, taken in Nov 2009

Academics:

Bachelor of Science in Physics, GPA 3.85/4.0 (From a top regional university, graduated with honors in May 2009)

MPhil in Management, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, UK (2010-2011, a TAUGHT course, not a research oriented one), GPA 61% overall, pass rate 60% (this might seem a bit low, but in the past 5 years nobody's GPA in the course exceeded 75%. Spent most of my time in Cambridge on networking events, hence a low GPA, but this ultimately paid off since I found a job thru that network)

Work Experience:

Full Time, Director at a small local Holding Company ($5mln-10mln valued), which has stakes in different companies in very different fields (including the vending machines company where I was previously a director). Mainly responsible for control and management of the companies which comprised the holding and their financial performances. (2012-current)

Full Time, Director at a newly founded joint local-Spanish vending machines importing and operating company. In less than a year company became the dominant one in the country, having the biggest market share. Staff up to 20 people. 2011-2012

Full Time, Marketing and PR Specialist at a start up IT company. 2009-2010

Part Time, PR Specialist at one of the biggest local media companies, 4 months

AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
1 $20K scholarship from a local government-supported fund to study in Cambridge
2 $10K scholarship from Cambridge Overseas Trust
3 Full scholarship at my local university during my undergrad degree, which was renewable each year

Extracurriculars:

I have been very active at college during all 4 years there. I have been the member of student council, organized numerous conferences at my department, including one international conference. Working closely with student council, on my initiative several times I made fundraising in my department for children at orphanages.

Elected by classmates, at Cambridge I've been the class representative in the Operations User Group Committee, representing the class and its needs at the committee and suggesting changes to improve the infrastructure of and student experience at JBS.
Actively engage in sports activities, esp. mountain biking and skiing.

Back in 2009 apart from applying to Cambridge MPhil in Management program, I also applied to Booth's MBA program (applied in third round) since they were accepting early career applicants. I got an interview, but ultimately got rejected: my best guess - lack of experience. I got suggested to work for few more years and try again.

Now being in my mid career, I am looking for Harvard, Booth, Wharton to start in 2014 preferably (will be around 26 yrs old by then). I want to know two things:

1) Would you recommend me retaking GMAT? (my verbal is a bit low and dont you think my score will be a bit old at the time of an application?)
2) What you think are my chances at my target schools and what other schools would you recommend me?

Thanks in advance.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 01:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Congrats on UNC!

A lot of it will depend on your leadership experience and impact you've made professionally and outside of work. Are you thinking of applying 2nd round?

UNC's managemet consulting concentration can help you prepare for a career in strategy consulting.

Additional steps to take in securing strategy consulting jobs include preparing for case interviews and fit interviews, and continue to enhance your knowledge within specific industry/industries and technical skills.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

engebrem wrote:
Any insight offered concerning what programs I should focus on would be most appreciated.

GMAT: Q48 V40 (710)
Undergrad- Unknown private school, 4.0 GPA
Position: Finance Manager at Bimbo Bakeries USA, Div of Mexico's Grupo Bimbo
Salary 60-70k

Career Target- Consulting (preferably with an MBB of course)

I have been accepted at UNC:KF, but am looking at some programs that will position me better for consulting.
I'm considering, based on what I believe my profile aligns with, Duke, UVA, Tepper.
Do I have a shot at NYU, Ross, and Columbia? Is there another school that I should look at?

Thanks,

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Quite a bit will depend on your leadership experience professionally and outside of work, and the impact you've made on the organization.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

vickyarora wrote:
Hello GmatClub,

I am interested in pursuing MBA (general management, consultant, technology management) and would appreciate if Gmatclub members, experienced, admitted, rejected, consultant and schools representatives if any to evaluate my profile and give me some idea about my standing for B school application.

Profile:
- Experience: 3+ years which includes
-- Value engineering (reverse engineering, cost cutting design)
-- Multinational company: Engineer, Consumer electronics (New product development R&D)
--- Self employment: University level project consultant and product development
- Education:
-- Master of Science: Electrical Engineering (2010 graduate), Texas, USA (GPA 3.07)
-- Bachelors of Engineering: Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering (2006 graduate), India (%69/100)
- GRE 298 (really can't retake GRE or consider GMAT)
-- Q 151
-- V 147
(recommendation letter: Upper senior executives and university professors)

Please evaluate my profile and the level of universities I can get admit.

Thank you,
Regards,
VA

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 13:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Congratulations on getting the scholarship!

I am not too familiar with the two programs you mentioned. If I were you, I would contact current students or recent graduates of both schools to ask them about the details of campus recruiting and job search.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

joinashish wrote:
Dear Sir/madam,

I am from India and I shall be grateful if you may provide your insights between the two schools W.P.Carey Business School and Eli-Broad Graduate School of management.

Fortunately I received the offer from both the schools with best scholarship. I have been offered with 100% scholarship and 20,000USD stipend from W.P.Carey and 12,000USD fellowship and GA position, which makes my tuition fees nil, from Michigan State University.

I am interested in supply chain management course. I am married and have 7 years of experience in project management-construction in a well reputed oil marketing company of India.

I am confused and in a big dilemma. Being an international student, I feel that financially W.P.Carey is the better option for me but Michigan is known for manufacturing companies where I may feel that I have better prospects of placements. Website placement statistics are equal for both the schools.

Kindly help me to take the best decision. I shall be grateful for your kind advice.

Regards
Ashish Agarwal

Re: Ask Marvel Admissions   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2012, 13:39