Hi there! There are several questions about AWA I would like to ask:
1. Is it true that essays are checked by the computer?
2. Is there recommended size for an essay?
3. Do b-schools read AWA essays?
I will appreciate your reply
1. Yes, there is a chance that 1 of your 2 readers will be the e-rater, the computer grader that looks for standard structure and good grammar. You can read about the e-rater in the OG book.
and PR suggest writing as much as possible, which isn't a bad strategy, as long as you have enough to say. The most important thing is to have 2-4 very good points to make in the essay and cover the topic in what you believe is a complete manner. This might be a standard 5-paragraph essay (intro, 3 body paragraphs, conclusion), or it may be a bit different, but the most important things are good grammar and solid content. Third most important is the number of points you make.
3. They will be read if another part of your application seems that it needs a "supporting point" (i.e., not a native speaker...verbal score on GMAT is low...essays sound strange...) but if you get a 5 or above they will almost certainly note it and move on.