Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

B-school application- Help needed!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 16

B-school application- Help needed! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 08:47
Hi,
I scored 710 in GMAT this year. I have a CGPA of 7.6/10 in my graduation, and have a 1.6 years of experience. I want to know whether B schools consider work experience till the date of admission or date of application. I have heard many good B schools require atleast 2 years of experience. I want to apply in Harvard, Cambridge or Yale. Can anybody help me with this situation? Also, can somebody help with the financial aid which I can get in these colleges?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: B-school application- Help needed! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 09:00
The usually ask for work experience at matriculation. Even still applying with less than 2 years experience is going to put you on the very bottom edge for most schools. Harvard trends young but most schools 4-5 years is more the norm.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: B-school application- Help needed! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 13:11
Work experience is just a number of factors that business school admissions uses to determine your professional abilities and potential. For younger candidates it is much more important that you present a clear and compelling career plan. One reason why professional experience is preferred is that admissions believes that during the first few years of work, a person matures a lot and their professional goals become more clear. A younger candidate can definitely circumvent this perception, but it is not easy and takes a lot of thought and clever presentation. Good luck and my advise is if you feel ready to pursue your MBA, do not let these unofficial rules and standards create roadblocks.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager

Re: B-school application- Help needed! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 02:24
Thank you for the help! :) Can 710 get me a seat in Harvard? I really wanna do my MBA from Harvard.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: B-school application- Help needed! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 05:06
You would need to share a lot more about your profile. In particular, what caliber school was your undergrad and what is your work experience like? Extra-curriculars and any leadership experience?

With what you have shared so far you're going to be a long shot. Your GMAT is in the middle 80% range but below average, your GPA is well below average and with less than 2 years work experience it will probably be tough to have meaningful leadership experiences from work. I don't mean to be a debbie-downer but Harvard is pretty selective and like I said, you haven't shared much of your profile with us.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: B-school application- Help needed! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 18:55
mehulsayani wrote:
Hi,
I scored 710 in GMAT this year. I have a CGPA of 7.6/10 in my graduation, and have a 1.6 years of experience. I want to know whether B schools consider work experience till the date of admission or date of application. I have heard many good B schools require atleast 2 years of experience. I want to apply in Harvard, Cambridge or Yale. Can anybody help me with this situation? Also, can somebody help with the financial aid which I can get in these colleges?

I think you probably need more work experience, unless you worked while you were in school. A couple of my friends who went to b school right after college got into a top program because they had been working while in school in pretty cool jobs.

For financial aid, you can go to the website of the respective schools or do google searches to find more information. there is a lot out there, and it would be impossible for someone on here to tell you everything you need to know. you'll have to do your own research.
Manager
Manager

Re: B-school application- Help needed! [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:12
mappleby wrote:
You would need to share a lot more about your profile. In particular, what caliber school was your undergrad and what is your work experience like? Extra-curriculars and any leadership experience?

With what you have shared so far you're going to be a long shot. Your GMAT is in the middle 80% range but below average, your GPA is well below average and with less than 2 years work experience it will probably be tough to have meaningful leadership experiences from work. I don't mean to be a debbie-downer but Harvard is pretty selective and like I said, you haven't shared much of your profile with us.

Hi,
Can somebody evaluate my profile and help me with my admission process? Also, which colleges should I apply to. Is it possible to get into Harvard, Wharton or Oxford? Following are my details:-
Name- Mehul Sayani
GMAT score - 710
AWA- 5/6
IR- 5/8
Under Graduate score - 7.6/10
Pass out Year
Under Graduate College- VJTI (autonomous) Mumbai University
VJTI was ranked #22 by the India Today Best Engineering colleges 2012 and 32 by Outlook India Top Engineering Colleges of 2012. In rankings limited to private colleges it was ranked #7 by Mint Top 50 Private Engineering Colleges of 2009
High School (SSC)- 87.83%
Work Experience - 1.5 years in an IT company(received 2-3 appreciations from the client)
Plan to work till I join the university
In the college, Worked for various events and festivals.
Worked as the General Secretary of Sponsorship of National Level College Festival (Led a team of 7 ppl)
Worked as the General Secretary of Sponsorship for two other events in the under grad years.
Besides that, Won the second runners-up in dance competition in First and Fourth year and First prize in Second and Third year.
Won multiple competitions in school including district level Science quiz, participated in the project competition organized by National Organization "Indian National Science Congress"

I hope this information is enough. Please let me know if you need anything else :)
Re: B-school application- Help needed!   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2012, 09:12