Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

b-school info, please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

b-school info, please help [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2005, 12:58
i have an undergrad degree from Louisiana Tech in Biomedical Engineering.

GPA 3.5
GMAT 570 (Q-47%, V-67%)

Can my engineering background overshadow my low Q score? I was also wondering what are some schools for which my info is competitive. Not looking for harvard or yale, just a place to find how i compare with entering classes. Thanks.

j.c.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: b-school info, please help [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2005, 15:22
Expert's post
LAtechstudent wrote:
i have an undergrad degree from Louisiana Tech in Biomedical Engineering.

GPA 3.5
GMAT 570 (Q-47%, V-67%)

Can my engineering background overshadow my low Q score? I was also wondering what are some schools for which my info is competitive. Not looking for harvard or yale, just a place to find how i compare with entering classes. Thanks.

j.c.

If this was your only attempt at the GMAT, I strongly urge you to prepare and retake. With an engineering background, you may be able to do better. Yes that background will help you if you don't retake, but barring URM status, you will have a tough time cracking into US New's Top 50.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

List some schools for me [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2005, 16:44
my GPA in engineering is 3.48. I have taken some post-bac business classes such as financial and managerial accounting, operations management, finance and cis. All of these are basic level classes but I have received A's in all of them. (piece of cake compared to engineering cirriculum). These have raised my GPA to 3.5. LA tech has an MBA program but I am looking to go somewhere better.

where can i find out how my stats measure up with those of certain schools? Do schools average the GMAT scores as they do the LSAT and other tests? All I did before was study the Princeton Review book for two days, can you list some different ways to study? This sight might be one way. (i didn't find it until after the test). Thanks!!!

J.C.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: List some schools for me [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 14:56
Expert's post
LAtechstudent wrote:
my GPA in engineering is 3.48. I have taken some post-bac business classes such as financial and managerial accounting, operations management, finance and cis. All of these are basic level classes but I have received A's in all of them. (piece of cake compared to engineering cirriculum). These have raised my GPA to 3.5. LA tech has an MBA program but I am looking to go somewhere better.

where can i find out how my stats measure up with those of certain schools? Do schools average the GMAT scores as they do the LSAT and other tests? All I did before was study the Princeton Review book for two days, can you list some different ways to study? This sight might be one way. (i didn't find it until after the test). Thanks!!!

J.C.

JC you can find a lot of information on the Businessweekwebsite. The have average GMAT scores for accepted students and frequently the 20-80% of accepted students. Business schools take the highest score, unlike the LSAT. So if you raise your score, this score will not have any impact. For you, there is only upside in preparing and retaking the test.

There are others on this board far more familiar with test prep methods. There are online courses, traditional courses, software, and books. The books didn't work for you. I stronlgy recommend that you research GMAT prep courses and enroll in the one that works best for you.. Again, you can obtain recommendations from people on this board. The good news is that you didn't prepare much and should see substantial improvement if you do prepare thoroughly.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog