Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bad Scores... Help Needed!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Bad Scores... Help Needed! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 12:59
Hi Folks,

I have it enough. I have been honest with myself while preparing for this test and 3 years back i took this test for the first time, last year i prepared for 4 months got high scores in test (700+ in GMAT Preps) but horrible score in actual GMAT. I took the test again this year and another bad result!

My Quant score did increase when i put in more effort and attempted more GMAT like questions. But am still longing for a 49/50

Verbal, i just cant describe! I am not bad in GMAT Verbal i would say but thrice i have failed in the actual test, so this is where I really need to pull up - starting from the basics.

Can someone please suggest, especially based on your past experiences of retaking GMAT and making a huge difference the next time?

My target - 700+ - and despite 3 years and 3 failed attempts, somewhere deep inside i know this can be cracked, and i want to crack it in this life, this year and very soon!! :) So please help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Bad Scores... Help Needed! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 13:07
For starters, being specific will help. What you have written above is similar to going to a doctor and saying - help me, I'm unwell. He can't treat you unless you let him know what is the problem.

Be a bit more specific and you should get better responses on the thread :)

This thread might be helpful: Verbal improvement

Also, have you considered taking a GMAT prep course?

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern

Re: Bad Scores... Help Needed! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 13:19
Thanks for the quick response. And by GMAT Prep course did you mean a specific tuition center or a general coaching programme? I did one last year and would not recommend that to any.

To talk specifically about verbal:

SC: i thought i was good at it and was confident to get most of the answers right and even understand 'why' they were right etc. BUT, in actual GMAT, i was not comfortable with the questions. I had practiced from OG12, OG11, even Kaplan verbal - and some other sources/pdfs/the 700-800 level etc

CR: i did CR bible and was again very confident on the concepts. I think i did well in CR in real GMAT. (God only knows if i fell to the GMAT trap questions).

RC: i had a very high accuracy in OG12, it was of no use when i tool the real exam attempt #2 as i realised i did not think through while attempting RC. So, the next time i went with RC99 and was a bit shaky with RC overall. During real GMAT, i know i screwed up when i relaised that the last question was a straight fwd direct detail q and i had that wrong!

Summary: I need high accuracy in RC and more comfort level in real GMAT SC questions.
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Bad Scores... Help Needed! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 15:06
rajvedi wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. And by GMAT Prep course did you mean a specific tuition center or a general coaching programme? I did one last year and would not recommend that to any.

To talk specifically about verbal:

SC: i thought i was good at it and was confident to get most of the answers right and even understand 'why' they were right etc. BUT, in actual GMAT, i was not comfortable with the questions. I had practiced from OG12, OG11, even Kaplan verbal - and some other sources/pdfs/the 700-800 level etc

CR: i did CR bible and was again very confident on the concepts. I think i did well in CR in real GMAT. (God only knows if i fell to the GMAT trap questions).

RC: i had a very high accuracy in OG12, it was of no use when i tool the real exam attempt #2 as i realised i did not think through while attempting RC. So, the next time i went with RC99 and was a bit shaky with RC overall. During real GMAT, i know i screwed up when i relaised that the last question was a straight fwd direct detail q and i had that wrong!

Summary: I need high accuracy in RC and more comfort level in real GMAT SC questions.

Can you quantify this a bit?

What was your accuracy level in the sections? What were your practice CAT scores? What was your breakdown on the real thing?

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern

Re: Bad Scores... Help Needed! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2013, 22:47
In RC, accuracy was 57% from around 100 questions from RC 99. From OG12, barring 1 or 2 very tough RCs, my accuracy level was higher than this, would say 70% plus!

In SC, accuracy was 86% from OG11.

In CR, accuracy was >90% in OG11/12 and >80% from other sources.

G day i went down to 31, 27 and 24 in Verbal! (declining at a constant rate)

Test Scores (2013)

1. New GMAT Prep 1 – 610 (47, 29) – heavily short of time in Verbal for last 6-7 questions
2. Manhattan 4D – 670 (44, 38) – SC was a problem
3. Manhattan 5D – 660 (44, 37) – RC was a problem
4. Old GMAT Prep 1 – 680 (49, 33) – short of time in Verbal!!
5. Old GMAT Prep 2 – 650 (47, 33) – short of time in maths;
6. Manhattan 6D – 660 (46, 34)
7. Manhattan 1E – 710 – 49, 38 (some known questions)
8. New GMAT Prep 2- 710 (49, 37)
9. Old GMAT Prep 1 – 740 (49, 42)
10. Manhattan 2E – 710 – (46, 41)…Bad Timing and accuracy
11. New GMAT Preps in 2012 with IR 720 and 740! Without repeated and known questions! Got 27 in verbal that time! :(
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 6

Re: Bad Scores... Help Needed! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 12:47
Expert's post
rajvedi wrote:
In RC, accuracy was 57% from around 100 questions from RC 99. From OG12, barring 1 or 2 very tough RCs, my accuracy level was higher than this, would say 70% plus!

In SC, accuracy was 86% from OG11.

In CR, accuracy was >90% in OG11/12 and >80% from other sources.

G day i went down to 31, 27 and 24 in Verbal! (declining at a constant rate)

Test Scores (2013)

1. New GMAT Prep 1 – 610 (47, 29) – heavily short of time in Verbal for last 6-7 questions
2. Manhattan 4D – 670 (44, 38) – SC was a problem
3. Manhattan 5D – 660 (44, 37) – RC was a problem
4. Old GMAT Prep 1 – 680 (49, 33) – short of time in Verbal!!
5. Old GMAT Prep 2 – 650 (47, 33) – short of time in maths;
6. Manhattan 6D – 660 (46, 34)
7. Manhattan 1E – 710 – 49, 38 (some known questions)
8. New GMAT Prep 2- 710 (49, 37)
9. Old GMAT Prep 1 – 740 (49, 42)
10. Manhattan 2E – 710 – (46, 41)…Bad Timing and accuracy
11. New GMAT Preps in 2012 with IR 720 and 740! Without repeated and known questions! Got 27 in verbal that time! :(

Hi rajvedi,

You seem to be taking lots and lots of practice tests. It doesn't seem as if you are actually reviewing questions you got wrong on a regular basis. I'd recommend actively reviewing questions you get wrong so you don't get them wrong next time. Of course, it would be most beneficial if you could get a friend or an expert to show you how he/she got the same question correct - what exactly did he do differently?

Oftentimes, it helps to hear or see how someone else does a question so you can see things in a different way - and perhaps avoid the same kinds of mistakes in the future.

So in short, focus more on reviewing or getting new perspective on questions from experts - rather than on doing more and more tests. You'll get better faster and with less effort.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Bad Scores... Help Needed!   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2013, 12:47